2019 Draft Talk!

ET80

I've been reading a few mock drafts, and it seems as if West Virginia LT Yodny Cajuste is a favorite to land in Houston. I haven't seen a bit of this guy, but I'm reading he's got great size, great length and plays with a ton of power - just a bruiser down in the trenches. His technique needs to be refined, but he's a bully out there against defenders.

Our OL could use a guy like that, a tone setter who just dominates the body in front of him. We'll see how it goes, but it's an interesting name to follow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, ET80 said:

I've been reading a few mock drafts, and it seems as if West Virginia LT Yodny Cajuste is a favorite to land in Houston. I haven't seen a bit of this guy, but I'm reading he's got great size, great length and plays with a ton of power - just a bruiser down in the trenches. His technique needs to be refined, but he's a bully out there against defenders.

Our OL could use a guy like that, a tone setter who just dominates the body in front of him. We'll see how it goes, but it's an interesting name to follow.

anytime you read "his technique to be refined" that means he has all the tools but just needs good coaching. So I will pass. We need guys who can come in and play well with bad coaching, because that is what we have. Besides our head coach, our offensive line coach is absolutely terrible. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the combine came and went, and guys that were projected at 23 (most notably, Andre Dillard) are now being talked up as potential top 15 picks.

Interestingly enough - LT Jonah Williams is dropping, and is now thought of as a 25-30 guy. IMO, this is such a great development; You watch Williams play and you see that he's a super smooth LT, very refined and very powerful. His combine figures don't really reflect the sort of player his film reflects. If he's there at 23, I don't know how you pass on him.

Other thoughts on guys I'm tracking:

- Elijah Holyfield had a disasterous day at the combine, with 40 times in the 4.8 range. I knew the guy wasn't fast, but damn, this is UDFA type speed. I still like him as an Alfred Blue replacement, he's a guy who hits the hole hard and runs with good lean.

- DeAndre Baker had an average day in the office; His 4.53 in the 40 is a bit pedestrian overall,  but he looked solid in drills. I think he compares very favorably to Kareem Jackson, in that he lacks long speed on the sideline, but is a voracious hitter and a physical presence on short to intermediate routes. This all being said, I don't know if he's a #1 CB in the league, but he's got the good to be a very high end #2 CB.

- I thought Kaleb McGary was a nice sleeper prospect at RT, someone who could transition to LT with some training. That secret is out, I think McGary is going to get late 1st round consideration now. He's a yoked up athlete with some good feet and tremendous power, someone is going to draft him as a LT.

- Greedy Williams is now top 5. Any thoughts of getting him after a tumble down draft boards is gone now, he's locked in to the first five picks. Depending on how our FA purchases goes in a week, I'd consider jumping up the board to get him. (Not saying I'd DO it, but would put serious though behind it).

- Darrell Henderson reminds me of Brian Westbrook from the Eagles. If he's there when the Texans are on the clock in the 3rd, I'll be screaming at my TV to draft him. A satellite back like Henderson would give Deshaun Watson a dangerous toy to work with on screens, RPOs and outlet passes. 

- Rock Ya-Sin is getting some consideration as a pick in the 32-40 range. I don't see it, I don't think he's the type of athlete that you'd justify a top pick on the guy. This being said, a pick at 54-55 could be nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So the combine came and went, and guys that were projected at 23 (most notably, Andre Dillard) are now being talked up as potential top 15 picks.

Interestingly enough - LT Jonah Williams is dropping, and is now thought of as a 25-30 guy. IMO, this is such a great development; You watch Williams play and you see that he's a super smooth LT, very refined and very powerful. His combine figures don't really reflect the sort of player his film reflects. If he's there at 23, I don't know how you pass on him.

Other thoughts on guys I'm tracking:

- Elijah Holyfield had a disasterous day at the combine, with 40 times in the 4.8 range. I knew the guy wasn't fast, but damn, this is UDFA type speed. I still like him as an Alfred Blue replacement, he's a guy who hits the hole hard and runs with good lean.

- DeAndre Baker had an average day in the office; His 4.53 in the 40 is a bit pedestrian overall,  but he looked solid in drills. I think he compares very favorably to Kareem Jackson, in that he lacks long speed on the sideline, but is a voracious hitter and a physical presence on short to intermediate routes. This all being said, I don't know if he's a #1 CB in the league, but he's got the good to be a very high end #2 CB.

- I thought Kaleb McGary was a nice sleeper prospect at RT, someone who could transition to LT with some training. That secret is out, I think McGary is going to get late 1st round consideration now. He's a yoked up athlete with some good feet and tremendous power, someone is going to draft him as a LT.

- Greedy Williams is now top 5. Any thoughts of getting him after a tumble down draft boards is gone now, he's locked in to the first five picks. Depending on how our FA purchases goes in a week, I'd consider jumping up the board to get him. (Not saying I'd DO it, but would put serious though behind it).

- Darrell Henderson reminds me of Brian Westbrook from the Eagles. If he's there when the Texans are on the clock in the 3rd, I'll be screaming at my TV to draft him. A satellite back like Henderson would give Deshaun Watson a dangerous toy to work with on screens, RPOs and outlet passes. 

- Rock Ya-Sin is getting some consideration as a pick in the 32-40 range. I don't see it, I don't think he's the type of athlete that you'd justify a top pick on the guy. This being said, a pick at 54-55 could be nice.

Baker knows how to turn his head and look for the ball. On that basis alone he is far better than Kareem. And remember it wasn't unusual for us to be saying Jackson was in great position if he just turned his head he wouldn't have gotten that DPI.

The corners really disappointed. Most the guys that potentially could have been there for us to pick at 23 really shat the bed. I fully expect Greedy and Baker to be gone. With what we say at the combine only Murphy and Mullen seem like they are worthy of 23.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've come to terms that the bulk of our work is going to be with our picks this off-season. There is nobody left that might improve this team - Roby, Gipson and BBC are the extent of the shopping spree. 

It is what it is. Nothing that can be done now that's going to inspire us.

This being said, I like how this draft is shaping up. If Gaine can find guys like Justin Reid and Jordan Thomas again, we might be moving in the right direction.

Honestly, this is how I'd like to see our draft go:

1. DeAndre Baker, CB, Georgia

2a. Kaleb McGary, RT, Washington

2b. David Edwards G/T, Wisconsin

3. Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis

5. Mitch Hyatt, LT, Clemson

6. David Sills, WR, West Virginia

7. Best DL available

Either McGary or Edwards could be swapped out with Greg Little or Yodny Cajuste, and David Sills could be swapped out with Hunter Renfrow. If you're not looking to drop a 3rd rounder on Henderson, you could look later in the draft for Rodney Anderson or Mike Weber. 

I wouldn't balk at this draft.

Honestly, Adding Roby, Gibson and BBC as well as the full off season return of Hal to go with last years pick ups Reid and Colvin, it at least feels like we've attempted to make improvements to the secondary. Throw in a returning JJoe, and While I still dont see the secondary as any better and possibly slightly worse, I could see our front office and coaching staff content with the moves they have made. 

I bring all that up, because While we all see a need to spend one of our top 3 picks on a CB, perhaps something a little crazier might be in order. 

LT is the major issue on the line. Davenport/Rankin/Henderson can all compete at RT, and odds are that one of them will start there next year, with Rankin possibly challenging Kelemete at LG. Maybe even moving Mancz over there. 

my point is, we HAVE to come out of this draft with a LT who is both a day 1 starter and a 10 year starter. We showed last year how to build in the draft without a 1st or 2nd round pick. We got two TEs who should be on the team for a long time. We picked up a slot WR who, if he can stay healthy, can be a weapon for years. We also picked up a starting safety. Jury is out on Rankin.

so my point is, while we have holes to fill, we were a playoff team last year with no 1st or 2nd round pick, who has its biggest need at LT.

Why not trade our 1st and two 2nds to go up and take the best tackle in the draft? If you look at most mock drafts, the top tackle comes off the board in the 5-10 range in most of them. Just looking at the NFL value chart for reference, the 7th pick is worth 425.50. The 23rd pick is worth 244.86 and the 54th pick is worth 103.56 and the 55th pick is worth 100.88

Value wise, we could easily trade into the top 10 in the draft. 

for more reference, lets say the guy we have as the #1 tackle that we are in love with falls to 12, that pick is worth 346 points or roughly the 23rd and 54th picks. Bottom Line is this: I would package together whatever I needed to package together to move up and get my top rated tackle, so long as it didnt cost me anything other than my top 3 picks. 

We should be in WIN NOW mode with the aging but great defensive front 7 and our underpaid QB of the future with a HOF WR in his prime. if we dont think we can get 3 starters with those 3 picks, lets at least use them to get one starter at our biggest position of weakness. 

If we do keep them, I wouldnt bat an eye at using all 3 of them on the offensive line. As much as we have needs elsewhere, holes in the secondary might cost us games, holes on the line are going to cost us our franchise QB. 

Hey guys, check out the mock draft simulator on the draft network website. Lots of fun to see who you end up with in different scenarios.  I'll put the link below. 

Also check out who I ended up with (admittedly took me a couple of attempts to have a draft I liked haha).

1st 23 - Byron Murphy.. Washington CB = Best corner on the board. The top OT were taken and it would have been a reach for a guy like Risner at 23. 

2nd 54 - David Edwards.. Wisconsin T = Top tackle who was available. Fill a huge need. 

2nd 55 - Deionte Thompson.. Alabama S = Great value here. Would be a nice young pairing with him and Reid. Having Gipson would allow him to develop and help on special teams immediately. 

3rd 86 - Terry McLaurin.. Ohio State WR = Not our biggest need but can help our us on special teams and add another weapon for Watson on offense. He'd be our 4th receiver and insurance for if Fuller went down again. He's a burner after running 4.35 at the combine and a great showing at the senior bowl. (I would have like to pick a DT here but none were available who would provide a inside pass rush)

5th 161 - Devine Ozigbo.. Nebraska RB = Bye Blue. 

6th 195 - Mark Fields.. Clemson CB = A depth CB late in the draft. 

7th 220 - Calvin Anderson.. Texas T = Late round flyer on a OL.

Overall: I'm missing some needs for us like DT, Blocking TE. Those positions I was looking for but couldn't find a player of value at the picks. Also RB is fascinating for me because there were good player there in the 3rd but I'm not sure Houston is ready to use another high pick on a RB (guess we'll find out what they think of Foreman on draft day).

Anyway guys let me know your thoughts on my mock and have a go yourself (https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine) and let me know who you end up with!!

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

1. Byron Murphy
2a. Kaleb McGary
2b. David Edwards
3. Oshane Ximines
5. Hunter Renfrow
6. Mitch Hyatt
7. Elijah Holyfield

I had a few tries, got some interesting results:

1. Dalton Risner

2a. Kaleb McGary

2b. Trayvon Mullen

3. Miles Sanders

5. Isaiah Buggs 

6. Jalen Hurd

7. Austin Bryant

I then did one with CB as the selection at 23:

1. DeAndre Baker

2a. Kaleb McGary

2b. Tytus Howard

3. Taylor Rapp

5. Elijah Holyfield

6. Jalen Hurd

7. Austin Bryant

I also had one with an interesting player falling - I wanted to see what sort of things we could do if a top tier guy at a secondary position of need fell to us (turns out, not too bad):

1. Ed Oliver

2a. Kaleb McGary

2b. Julian Love

3. Daylon Mack

5. Trayveon Williams

6. Hunter Renfrow

7. Jon Baker

I highly doubt any of these would play out like this, but Baker/McGary/Howard/Rapp would be an amazing draft. Oliver/McGary/Love/Mack would also turn out pretty special. 

• Like 2

OK, I'm not saying this draft tool is broken, but...well:

1. Dalton Risner

2a. Noah Fant (yup)

2b. Trayvon Mullen

3. Kaleb McGary

5. Kris Boyd

6. Jalen Hurd

7. Myles Gaskins

This draft would be mind blowingly awesome. I don't care that TE isn't a need, cut Ryan Griffin and go with Thomas/Fant, with Akins as a key reserve - Fant would be such a destructive presence in our offense, he'd put up "Jimmy Graham in NO" type numbers. Then you still have Risner/McGary to turn into stars on the OL, and Mullen/Boyd to turn into the future 1/2 combo at CB and Gaskins as a rotation RB with Foreman and Miller. Hurd is a lottery ticket, a guy who has every athletic trait you want at WR, has been productive at college and is still learning how to play WR. 

This would be a foundational draft to a team that would win several SBs. Watson with this OL, a brand new RZ toy that would exploit some favorable coverages with Hopkins and Fuller getting attention, a RB who can take carries and two up and coming CBs to anchor that defense. If Hurd turned into what he could be at WR we are set up for a long time.