We’ll have plenty of room to re-sign our own players

turtle28

On 12/17/2018 at 10:59 AM, Slateman said:

3. CT is overrated. He doesn't break tackles. He blocks like crap. He doesn't have the top end speed to outrun defenses. He doesn't make people miss. CT is a guy you can replace with a undrafted free agent.

What? CT breaks tackles and ankles all the time! He’s a very willing blocker despite his size and actually does a decent job at it. His 40 time is a 4.4. 

You might want to rewatch CT from 2016, 17 & before he broke his ribs this year when he was healthy bc he was the Redskins best playmaker in many of those games. Constantly breaking tackles, out running defenders, spinning and shaking defenders and breaking off long runs/taking screens, option routes or wheel routes for big gains.

Your last sentence just doesn’t pass the smell test. It’s like you say things just looking for an argument sometimes.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:09 AM, Slateman said:

We literally replaced CT with an undrafted free agent this season. Bibbs.

Bibbs didn’t replace Thompson’s production and he’s not a home run threat like CT. Look I love Bibbs - we should’ve kept him and cut Marshall - but your take is off base.

They played about the same amount of games this year and CT had more yards rushing and receiving.

CT had 22 more recs, 144 more yards reviving and 47 more yards rushing despite playing hurt in a few games.  

Chris Thompson is scheduled to make $4 mil next year, the last year on his deal.  The current cap is projected at $190 mil for 2019.  That means Thompson will make slightly more than 2% of the total cap next year, that isn't that much.  Another way to look at it, $190 / 53 is $3.58ish mil.  Thompson barely makes more than that. 

Can we cut him?  Sure, but I'm not sure we need to.  We have other cuts that make more sense if we want to save money, Stacey McGee saves us $3.875 mil (post June 1st), Zach Brown ($7.25 mil post June 1st), Josh Norman ($8.5 mil).  

I like CT. Good guy, hard worker, serious professional. But he’s never been able to stay healthy and play. If he’s worth X then you have to discount that by y% and zopportunity costs which makes him a min salary vet. 

If im a coach I value consistency and availablity more than a guy who is 10% better but not available 50% of the time 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Bibbs didn’t replace Thompson’s production and he’s not a home run threat like CT. Look I love Bibbs - we should’ve kept him and cut Marshall - but your take is off base.

They played about the same amount of games this year and CT had more yards rushing and receiving.

CT had 22 more recs, 144 more yards reviving and 47 more yards rushing despite playing hurt in a few games.  

"Not a home run threat" Are we for real right now? Has a higher average yards per reception this year than CT. Dude has a 69 yard TD catch to his name.

They played in the same number of games, but Chris Thompson had 257 offensive snaps to Bibbs' 160 offensive snaps.

You give Bibbs 257 offensive snaps, he ends up with over 22 receptions, 163 yards receiving, and 162 rushing yards. And that doesn't take into account the playcalling differences where Thompson had plays designed and called for him, where as Bibbs had far fewer and was usually a dump off our tertiary option. You target Bibbs 46 times and he has just as many yards as CT, if not more. 

Thompson has one year where he stood out. And he got hurt in the middle of it. The years prior  (and the year since) he has been fairly average as a pass catching running back. If you like him because he's a good teammate and "knows the system," fine. His cap hit isn't anything difficult to deal with. But don't pretend like his performance isn't replaceable. It's very, very replaceable. 

16 minutes ago, Slateman said:

"Not a home run threat" Are we for real right now? Has a higher average yards per reception this year than CT. Dude has a 69 yard TD catch to his name.

They played in the same number of games, but Chris Thompson had 257 offensive snaps to Bibbs' 160 offensive snaps.

You give Bibbs 257 offensive snaps, he ends up with over 22 receptions, 163 yards receiving, and 162 rushing yards. And that doesn't take into account the playcalling differences where Thompson had plays designed and called for him, where as Bibbs had far fewer and was usually a dump off our tertiary option. You target Bibbs 46 times and he has just as many yards as CT, if not more. 

Thompson has one year where he stood out. And he got hurt in the middle of it. The years prior  (and the year since) he has been fairly average as a pass catching running back. If you like him because he's a good teammate and "knows the system," fine. His cap hit isn't anything difficult to deal with. But don't pretend like his performance isn't replaceable. It's very, very replaceable. 

I’m not pretending like Thompson isn’t replaceable but he’s clearly the better player of the two and we definitely missed CT when he was out the last 6 games of last year and the games he missed this year.

Actually, CT had one good year in 2016 and was having a great year last year in 2017 when he got hurt in week 17.

Rushing

2016: 356 yds, 3 TDs

2017: 294 yds, 2 TDs

Recieving

2016: 49 recs, 349 yds 2 TDs 

2017: 39 recs, 510 yds 4 TDs 

Remember in 2017 CT broke his leg vs the Saints in week 10. If he hadn’t done that, he likely would have ended the season with 800 yards receiving and 450 rushing yards and maybe a few more TDs. 

If Bibbs ever puts up the stats in his career then I’ll gladly apologize and say I was wrong.

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not pretending like Thompson isn’t replaceable but he’s clearly the better player of the two and we definitely missed CT when he was out the last 6 games of last year and the games he missed this year.

Actually, CT had one good year in 2016 and was having a great year last year in 2017 when he got hurt in week 17.

Rushing

2016: 356 yds, 3 TDs

2017: 294 yds, 2 TDs

Recieving

2016: 49 recs, 349 yds 2 TDs 

2017: 39 recs, 510 yds 4 TDs 

Remember in 2017 CT broke his leg vs the Saints in week 10. If he hadn’t done that, he likely would have ended the season with 800 yards receiving and 450 rushing yards and maybe a few more TDs. 

If Bibbs ever puts up the stats in his career then I’ll gladly apologize and say I was wrong.

2016: 489 snaps on offense

Again, Bibbs puts up similar numbers if given the same amount of snaps. (346 rushing yards, 694 receiving yards if he gets 60+ targets). So like I said, Thompson has one really good season, and the rest are replaceable with [insert generic third down back here].

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

2016: 489 snaps on offense

Again, Bibbs puts up similar numbers if given the same amount of snaps. (346 rushing yards, 694 receiving yards if he gets 60+ targets). So like I said, Thompson has one really good season, and the rest are replaceable with [insert generic third down back here].

You can think what you want, but when you watch Thompson vs any 3rd down back we’ve had since Larry Centers and Brian Mitchell, that just doesn’t pass the smell test.

When you watch Ct break 10 tackles vs the Eagles and make Cousins’ stats look respectable in some games from last year and did the same thing in a few games this year bc of his special quickness, you know that he’s a Darren Sproles light player. 

Im going by the eye test here. The eye test in watching the two shows CT is a more explosive and dynamic player than Bibbs. I loved Bibbs and he should still be here instead of Marshall, but Bibbs isn’t CT.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Let's be real here. Those players want to come back to get paid. No way should we sign Clinton-Dix over Crowder and Preston Smith. I am in favor of keeping both Crowder and Smith.

Crowder might be affordable for us, considering his injuries the past year.  Preston Smith, however, can leave.  He is way too inconsistent week to week, and with the way the NFL teams value players, he is going to get overpaid on the open market, so no thanks.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Crowder might be affordable for us, considering his injuries the past year.  Preston Smith, however, can leave.  He is way too inconsistent week to week, and with the way the NFL teams value players, he is going to get overpaid on the open market, so no thanks.  

I agree that Preston Smith is inconsistent and about an average player. You aren't gonna have superstars at every position. This team has a TON of long term holes right now and we'd just be creating another one. It might have been different if Ryan Anderson panned out but he looks to be a non-factor.  At this point I would franchise tag him if we don't sign a long term deal with him. Cut Norman if we need the cap space. He won't be here for longer than a year and is not in the team's future plan whereas Preston Smith could be.

Archived