Jump to content
turtle28

We’ll have plenty of room to re-sign our own players

Recommended Posts

Salary cap will be around $190 million in 2019

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/11/salary-cap-will-be-around-190-million-in-2019/ via @ProFootballTalk

“The NFL informed clubs today that the projections for the 2019 salary cap are in the range of $187.0 million to $191.1 million,” the league said in a statement. “This marks a 40% increase in just five years since the 2014 season ($133.0 million) and would be the 6th consecutive year the cap is projected to climb more than $10 million per club year over year. Total projected player costs, including benefits, will be more than $7.3 billion in 2019.”
Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, I don’t care about signing anybody other than the Sheriff and the Greek.

 The rest stink and we should get rid of the over priced over rated older guys. We didn’t make the playoffs with them so how much worse can it be without them.  I can make a great argument it’s better the tank for the next three years after we hire a new GM and coach to prepare us for long-term winning in the future.

The only guys I wouldn’t want to trade are Sheriff, Allen, Payne, Way. Everyone else is on the block and it’s discount Tuesday for Trent, Norman, Reed, Smith, 54 and Brown meaning offer me a 4 th rounder for any of them and they are yours. 

Edited by Doc Draper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of this means anything to me. If Bruce is back, they could sign Drew Brees and I still wouldn’t watch. Two years ago I said I wouldn’t watch the Wizards again until Ernie was gone and I’ve stuck to that. I’m about as diehard as it gets for the Redskins so that means a lot coming from someone like me. And there’s a lot more like me feeling the same way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

None of this means anything to me. If Bruce is back, they could sign Drew Brees and I still wouldn’t watch. Two years ago I said I wouldn’t watch the Wizards again until Ernie was gone and I’ve stuck to that. I’m about as diehard as it gets for the Redskins so that means a lot coming from someone like me. And there’s a lot more like me feeling the same way. 

You’ll watch, you’ve been threatening this for years yet, every game day you’re always there. It’s a lot easier to quit the Wizards than the Redskins.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Seriously, I don’t care about signing anybody other than the Sheriff and the Greek.

 The rest stink and we should get rid of the over priced over rated older guys. We didn’t make the playoffs with them so how much worse can it be without them.  I can make a great argument it’s better the tank for the next three years after we hire a new GM and coach to prepare us for long-term winning in the future.

The only guys I wouldn’t want to trade are Sheriff, Allen, Payne, Way. Everyone else is on the block and it’s discount Tuesday for Trent, Norman, Reed, Smith, 54 and Brown meaning offer me a 4 th rounder for any of them and they are yours. 

I dont want Scherff. Second season in a row he cant stay healthy. You could get two good guards for what Scherff is going to cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes...and no. If every team is rising by that level, then its a wash. Because salaries for every position will similarly be inflated. If we don't have cap space to do it already, the rise in the cap isn't gonna help all that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Seriously, I don’t care about signing anybody other than the Sheriff and the Greek.

This.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes...and no. If every team is rising by that level, then its a wash. Because salaries for every position will similarly be inflated. If we don't have cap space to do it already, the rise in the cap isn't gonna help all that much.

Which is true, but we will still have cap room re-sign our own guys. We also do have cap room to re-sign then regardless of the cap going up to $190 million, especially if we cut the overpaid Norman.

Your point is well taken though and frankly, I knew that’d be your answer before you even posted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes...and no. If every team is rising by that level, then its a wash. Because salaries for every position will similarly be inflated. If we don't have cap space to do it already, the rise in the cap isn't gonna help all that much.

This. People aren't accounting for that. The Stacy McGee's of the world will cost more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Slateman said:

This. People aren't accounting for that. The Stacy McGee's of the world will cost more.

Stacy will be cut also, I forgot about him. That’s another $5 million in cap space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Stacy will be cut also, I forgot about him. That’s another $5 million in cap space.

I think you focused on McGee and missed his point

Forest...trees...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Stacy will be cut also, I forgot about him. That’s another $5 million in cap space.

 

29 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think you focused on McGee and missed his point

Forest...trees...

This.

 

Okay turtle, who is going to back up Kerrigan next year? Or the RB position? Or the guard positions. You can't draft everyone and if you simply sign undrafted free agents, you're going to get what you pay for.

For example, Kenny Wiggins signed with Detroit for 2.5 million per year. That was 1.4% of the cap space. Say that JR Sweezy is the equivalent of Wiggns last year. Sweezy's agent isn't going to say he wants 2.5 million. He's going to say he wants 1.4% of the cap. That works out to 2.66 million dollars. Everyone else's salary is going to go up.

 

This is why I don't want to get locked in to signing Scherff to some monster deal. He's going to command 15+ million per year, because that's the percentage that Zack Martin got in his contract. And we're still going to have the same offensive line problems that we have now, but with less cap flexibility to fix it. Especially when you consider that we're overpaying for our tackles right now.

 

Also, the team needs to improve. That means spending more money in free agency. Like you can complain all you want about Norman's salary cap hit, but he's still the best corner on the team. You're not going to replace him on the cheap and you're probably going to have to pay market value if not more. So you can say you're saving 15 million in cap space by releasing him, but you're probably going to have spend 10 million of that to replace him. You can not re-sign Lauvao, but you're going to have to pay his replacement anywhere from 5-10 million to play here.

Smith is gone after this year. Frankly, this team needs a major upgrade at edge rusher to pair with Ryan Kerrigan. That's going to cost you 8+ million.

Edited by Slateman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes...and no. If every team is rising by that level, then its a wash. Because salaries for every position will similarly be inflated. If we don't have cap space to do it already, the rise in the cap isn't gonna help all that much.

I agree with you for the most part but not all of the teams spend all of the Salary Cap especially teams like the Bills so it will help a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slateman said:

This is why I don't want to get locked in to signing Scherff to some monster deal. He's going to command 15+ million per year, because that's the percentage that Zack Martin got in his contract. And we're still going to have the same offensive line problems that we have now, but with less cap flexibility to fix it. Especially when you consider that we're overpaying for our tackles right now.

The second we spent a top 5 pick on Scherff he became a lifelong Redskin.  People can argue not retaining him but it won't happen.  He will be getting an extension from the Redskins and will likely be around for the next 10 years.  There are worse things that could happen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys need wide receivers really bad. I'm sure you know other positions of need, but that's the most glaring weakness. Also what about TE? Vernon'll retire soon probably and what about the health of Jordan Reed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×