Week 16 Redskins vs. Titans

KingTitan

14 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

He's hurt over and over again. Taking more sacks than he should over and over again.

You're gonna hear it over and over again.

It's a topic of debate. It's going to be debated. People just don't like hearing it.

Yep, that’s it. People simply don’t like hearing it. Thanks for bringing to light something that all of us football fans can’t notice on our own, that our QB has pros+cons

Hey Mods — can we just make a “beat a dead horse” thread?

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

Yep, that’s it. People simply don’t like hearing it. Thanks for bringing to light something that all of us football fans can’t notice on our own, that our QB has pros+cons

Hey Mods — can we just make a “beat a dead horse” thread?

So you and the other person who brought up Mariota today can post in it trying to act like everyone who diaagrees with you is wrong because a Titans blogger has nice things to say?

Because I didn't see anyone bring up the subject today with negative things about Mariota. 

Or would you just like to ridicule other posters opinions without them saying anything back? Maybe we need a thread for that?

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

It was far from his best game. That dude is a Mariota fan boy. He even had an entire thread last year about how good Mariota was last year.

Mariota took at least one sack that he shouldn't have with a wide open guy for the first down (confirmed by the behind the QB view) and then took another hit on the same drive that had him injured for the bajillionth time.

That's why people are ready to move on. 

He was fine on the two drives before that one, he made some good throws to open WRs, but to say completing 10 passes in a first half where we scored 6 points is his best game ever should tell you all you need to know about Kinsley.

People want to read articles about everything their favorite players are doing well, they don't want to see them criticized. People want affirmation not information. 

Highly doubt a 3rd party like Greg Cosell is praising Mariota for Saturday's performance when we hear from him.

Just like people look at every negative play as a sign to put him next to Nathan Peterman. 

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just like people look at every negative play as a sign to put him next to Nathan Peterman. 

Ive seen him compared to Alex Smith, never Nathan Peterman.

Most people have knee-jerk reactions during the game, and I'm definitely one of them, but I don't think I've went that far. 

5 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

So you and the other person who brought up Mariota today can post in it trying to act like everyone who diaagrees with you is wrong because a Titans blogger has nice things to say?

Because I didn't see anyone bring up the subject today with negative things about Mariota. 

Or would you just like to ridicule other posters opinions without them saying anything back? Maybe we need a thread for that?

My thoughts on Mariota -- both positive and negative -- are well documented on this forum. So no, I don't feel the need to "say anything back" to the monotonous "opinions" around every negative play that Mariota makes or freaking out over every single missed throw or sack in the GDT, as if Mariota is the only player in the NFL to make mistakes. Because in those GDT threads especially, the whole "he took a sack, it's his fault" or "stupid play Marcus" is out of context 99% of the time, as you really don't know what's happening on the field until the All-22 videos come out. And when those Titan bloggers -- Mike Herndon on MCM especially -- break down that film, they actually provide some solid insight into what Marcus succeeded at and what Marcus failed at. Travis Haney with The Athletic does it, too, and it's pretty interesting and compelling stuff. Their reviews show that Marcus does take a few more sacks than he probably should. But Marcus also suffers from a very bad OL and offense that has put together maybe 4 good games all season. 

Our passing offense is broken. Our personnel is a mess and Mariota has had to quickly build trust in guys like Batson, Jennings, Firsker, and Pruitt. Thank GOODNESS (sarcasm) that he already had a year or so with Davis, Taylor, Sharpe, Jonnu Smith and Stocker coming into the season because, if he didn't, I don't know how we'd have gotten the ball to that collective bunch of world-beaters. Our OL cannot pass block, our OC is struggling with playcalling, our weapons are mediocre to poor (imagine if we didn't have a guy like Davis), Mariota has been playing hurt all year and he simply doesn't have mastery of this offense...something that Dan Orlovsky preached all offseason as we transitioned to LeFleur. 

That's why I don't say much back to these "opinions" you talk about, because they don't consider the whole picture. Does Mariota need the clock to go off in his head sooner to abort a play? Absolutely. Does the line need to block better? Absolutely. Do the WRs need to get better separation? Absolutely. Do we need to actually get some talent on our offense? Absolutely. Do we need to actually get Marcus some easy access throws early in games to get him comfortable? Absolutely. The list goes on and on and on.

We have a lot of problems on offense. Marcus contributes to some, as does every single player on offense, but the overarching issues contribute to the problems he has even more. You can scream until you're red in the face about not investing in him, but the fact is that no QB could thrive in our offense as it currently stands. If you'd rather start from scratch and go through the post-McNair process all over again, more power to you. Because that's what you're essentially asking for. But we have a good core on offense right now and, with some added talent and another year in LeFleur's system, we could start finding more continuity and success in both Marcus and the offense as a whole. I'd rather not shake that up and go chase the ghost of Steve McNair.

Every sack is his fault judging by somes comments. 

When truth is, it is a likely mix of everyone. (Line, WRs. RBs. And QB). 

But that's to complex to breakdown. So it's easier to say QB is at fault. Keep in mind right after Marcus went out, Gabbert was sacked almost immediately if I'm not mistaken. 

Go back and look at that sack he got hurt on. The play looked to be designed to go to Davis on a stop and go. Marcus tried to move the safety with eyes by looking left.  Lewan was pushed back into Marcus. He tried to step up but was messed up by Spain getting pushed down. 

The crossing route was likely one if the last reads with Taylor (maybe would have gotten Taylor  leveled with defender right there likely a short gain) and then final check down with Lewis. 

Also let's acknowledge him escaping the rush couple times on this drive to make plays. 

The line hasn't been good majority of the year. Running game was missing Marcus has been slow in progressions this year. WR play hasn't been consistent. All mixed together to be the inconsistent offense we have seen. 

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

He said his best game since Houston. I read that wrong.

I didn't see Phillip Rivers take 11 sacks. I saw his OL get absolutely destroyed. The OL getting destroyed is absolutely blown out of proportion because he doesn't get rid of the ball. He's taking sacks on the majority of his pressures.

Without any kind of proof you're just spitting hyperbole... Combine that with the obvious trend of magnifying all Mariota mistakes and downplaying /dismissing his positive plays, it comes off as someone who's unwilling to be objective and honestly sounds like you're just bitching for the sake of just bitching.

Just like people on the pro Mariota side played the dropped pass script for too long, you've held on to the Ravens game far too long. 

You highlight two mistakes he made... What about the plays where he escaped the pressure, stayed on his feet, bought enough time to let the WR get open, found him and hit him for the completion ? 

You keep saying "He's taking sacks on the majority of his pressures." Go watch that game again, and honestly see how many times he was pressured... And compare that to the 2 sacks he took. 100%, he didnt take a sack most plays he was pressured... Keep the hyperbole at bay to keep credibility, unlike the other trash posters on here... 

I magnify his mistakes during the game. That's an emotional reaction not me grading his performance. 

He did have good plays Saturday. I acknowledge those.  They lasted two drives into the game, and then for the millionth time he took a sack he didn't need to and then several plays later was hurt again, whether that one was avoidable or not, he was hurt.

He had one of the best pass blocking offenses under Mularkey, still always hurt. That's not the reason why.

He's an average QB that's consistently hurt. If he was a good QB who was hurt or an average QB that was always healthy, maybe I'd want him back.

No, I'm not 100% objective, but the majority of you aren't either.

Geoff Schwartz tweeted that Mariota was pressured 11 times during the Ravens game. That's not my statistic and not something that I made up. It's a third party, unbiased, former NFL OL evaluating the play of the OL in that game. It's not hyperbole, it's me taking someone elses statistic. He credited Mariota at fault for 6 or 7 of the sacks in that game. Again, me being biased though right?

I just found an NFL article saying 14 QB pressures that game. Is being sacked on 11 of 14 pressures not the majority?

Bitching for the sake of bitching is my response to the obvious mocking towards someone who disagrees with you. 

36 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Every sack is his fault judging by somes comments. 

When truth is, it is a likely mix of everyone. (Line, WRs. RBs. And QB). 

But that's to complex to breakdown. So it's easier to say QB is at fault. Keep in mind right after Marcus went out, Gabbert was sacked almost immediately if I'm not mistaken. 

Go back and look at that sack he got hurt on. The play looked to be designed to go to Davis on a stop and go. Marcus tried to move the safety with eyes by looking left.  Lewan was pushed back into Marcus. He tried to step up but was messed up by Spain getting pushed down. 

The crossing route was likely one if the last reads with Taylor (maybe would have gotten Taylor  leveled with defender right there likely a short gain) and then final check down with Lewis. 

Also let's acknowledge him escaping the rush couple times on this drive to make plays. 

The line hasn't been good majority of the year. Running game was missing Marcus has been slow in progressions this year. WR play hasn't been consistent. All mixed together to be the inconsistent offense we have seen. 

Wasn't that also the only sack Gabbert took the entire game? I'm pretty bsure it was. Not every sack is Mariotas fault, but am I seriously the only one who thinks he could get rid of the ball on a lot of these? Obviously no QB can on every pressure, but he seems to be taking an unusually high amount.

One his first sack of the game Stocker was absolutely wide open for a first down. Easy throw too.

He did a good job on the first drive. Escaped the rush at least twice.

Biggest difference between those who support vs. those who are in my view overly critical....

Nobody that I've seen is praising him on an ungodly level with every completion, touchdown or scramble. 

"Good play". " That was close" 

Not "Did you see Marcus!? He is carrying this team on his back. He is flawless with it!". 

😊

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Wasn't that also the only sack Gabbert took the entire game? I'm pretty bsure it was. Not every sack is Mariotas fault, but am I seriously the only one who thinks he could get rid of the ball on a lot of these? Obviously no QB can on every pressure, but he seems to be taking an unusually high amount.

One his first sack of the game Stocker was absolutely wide open for a first down. Easy throw too.

He did a good job on the first drive. Escaped the rush at least twice.

Yes. It was and Marcus only had two. And Gabbert faced pressure but also had a lot of max protection. 

The first sack looked like a half field read because there were no other receivers to the left. It looked like a levels pass and if I was to judge by his eyes. Stocker was the last of the reads. 

Looking for a bigger play?

WRs slow out of breaks?

Mariota slow reading?

Bad protection?

I think it's 1, 3 and 4 out of those choices. Not just #3. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Yes. It was and Marcus only had two. And Gabbert faced pressure but also had a lot of max protection. 

The first sack looked like a half field read because there were no other receivers to the left. It looked like a levels pass and if I was to judge by his eyes. Stocker was the last of the reads. 

Looking for a bigger play?

WRs slow out of breaks?

Mariota slow reading?

Bad protection?

I think it's 1, 3 and 4 out of those choices. Not just #3. 

I'm sure it was, but can he not notice the bad protection and find hischeckdown for a first down?

No one is debating that we shouldn't replace more than half the OL. We're debating that we don't think it entirely fixes his issues.

Just now, TitanSS said:

I'm sure it was, but can he not notice the bad protection and find hischeckdown for a first down?

No one is debating that we shouldn't replace more than half the OL. We're debating that we don't think it entirely fixes his issues.

And no your aren't alone in saying he needs to cycle through reads faster.

That is partly why I'm not scare if Gabbert starts. He seems to go through it faster, but doesn't have the accuracy or mental game to make the right decision enough even if he makes it faster. 

We don't know what he is being coached up on. 

I gather there isn't a lot of creativity in the reads. That's just me assuming and looking at Goff and Qbs in SF play. Looks like defined reads and order. 

Marcus hasn't struggled like this with progression in the past so I'm just assuming it's new things he is being asked of that he is struggling. 

Either allow him to do it where he more comfortable to make fast decisions, Marcus get better at it or get a new QB that can. 

Archived