2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

Just now, .Buzz said:

Of course, but we have a full draft and free agency if the OL looks anything like it has this preseason next offseason. Linder is our C long term. We just drafted Cam Robinson who has big potential at LT. Not going to pass on a potential franchise QB if he's sitting there in the 1st/we have a chance to go up and get him.

i dont see a worthwhile Franchise QB in this draft right now based off this years tape. 

Connor williams or McGlinchey should Make our next QB very happy. 

5 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i dont see a worthwhile Franchise QB in this draft right now based off this years tape. 

Connor williams or McGlinchey should Make our next QB very happy. 

There are multiple potential franchise QB's. It's been one week. Lamar Jackson (just going to have to agree to disagree on this one I guess) is most definitely a franchise level looking guy to me.

Just now, .Buzz said:

There are multiple potential franchise QB's. It's been one week. Lamar Jackson (just going to have to agree to disagree on this one I guess) is most definitely a franchise level looking guy to me.

ill take Francois over him but obviously Francois aint declaring this year atleast not after that injury

I'm not really sold on Lamar Jackson.  There are moments where he looks genuinely Russell Wilson-esque to me in his ability to extend plays with his legs and keep his focus downfield.  But there are plenty of other times where he looks a lot more Manziel-esque scrambling around aimlessly until he decides to heave it vaguely downfield with a prayer.  And times where he looks straight up RGIII/Kaepernick just tucking and becoming a runner almost immediately - some of it obviously designed, but some not.  

And that's the part that really concerns me.  Built like Cam Newton he is not.  I'm really not overly bought in on the whole "dual threat franchise QB" thing in general.  It's a lot of risk to expose your franchise to; magnified for me when the guy has such a thin frame.  Obviously the ability to move around and extend plays is a highly desirable trait...but when the straight up "designed runs" element becomes a selling feature of a QB as it is with Jackson, i start to really pull back.  He's not nearly as polished at protecting himself as a runner as a guy like Wilson either.  Call me old fashioned, or "risk averse" or whatever...but i'd still just prefer a guy who naturally just does it all from the pocket, without all these trappings as a "runner".  I mean, the talk of "helping the bad OLine run the ball by drafting a running QB" just seems backwards to me.  Just fix the freaking OLine imo.

I mean, Jackson is extremely exciting and fun to watch in college.  It's easy to see what people like there, and he may be a bit undersold as a passer.  I just don't really like the idea of drafting a guy where running the football is a huge part of his game, only to try to work some of that out of his game at the Pro level.  Drafting in part for a skillset i'd want to dial back just doesn't seem savvy to me.  But we'll see.  Lots of season left for him to win me over...i just have a hard time buying it right now.

18 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

give me a Guy Like Mason Rudolph in round 2 or 3 and get this Oline Built up first with say Connor williams and Billy Price. 

I'm gonna have to take a hard pass on Mason Rudolph.

He may pile up some gaudy stats this year, but he's most of the things there are not to like in an air raid type QB prospect i think.  Don't really like his pocket presence, the constant "chuck it downfield and let your athletically superior receivers make a play on it" schtick doesn't translate for me, and in the short/intermediate game...his ball placement and timing is really not impressive either.  Gets away with a lot.

Just now, Its A Sabotage said:

you realize that was an issue last year too, yes?

Yeah, I heard about it. But I wasn't able to catch a ton of USC games/tape.

Seeing an actual picture side by side to Bortles mechanically is scary bad.

Archived