Steve Wilks will be fired at season's end

Elky

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. Boy genius took over an arguably worse roster.

Thats false. Goff was going into his 2nd year, McVay was a big reason for the progression obviously but Goff is clearly a very talented QB. He had Todd Gurley, they added Whitworth, Watkins and Woods. Defensively he had Aaron Donald, Ogletree, Quinn, Joyner, Johnson.

It isn't even debatable. The Cardinals have a rookie QB, David Johnson, Fitzgerald, a horrible OL, and defensively very little legit talent outside of Chandler Jones and PP. That roster is legit atrocious. 

McVay would struggle. Bill would struggle. Payton would struggle. You give a guy multiple years when the roster is this bad.

20 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

That defense is not talented. That OL is atrocious. He had a rookie QB. Firing Wilks was dumb, I don't think any HC in the league could go in there and produce a wining record.

A defense with Chandler Jones, Patrick Peterson, Budda Baker, Tre Boston, Antoine Bethea, etc isn't talented? Arians broke even with Blaine Gabbert. A good coach can too

6 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Thats false. Goff was going into his 2nd year, McVay was a big reason for the progression obviously but Goff is clearly a very talented QB. He had Todd Gurley, they added Whitworth, Watkins and Woods. Defensively he had Aaron Donald, Ogletree, Quinn, Joyner, Johnson.

It isn't even debatable. The Cardinals have a rookie QB, David Johnson, Fitzgerald, a horrible OL, and defensively very little legit talent outside of Chandler Jones and PP. That roster is legit atrocious. 

McVay would struggle. Bill would struggle. Payton would struggle. You give a guy multiple years when the roster is this bad.

If Boy genius took over the Cardinals, they would have had a different off-season. Wilks chose his guys. McVay would have likely chosen differently. I imagine Kirk Cousins would have ended up in Arizona. They likely would have made other moves to add guys who fit his system at WR, on the OL, and on defense. Assuming McVay has his LA Coaching Staff, I bet that team has a winning season. You can't just saddle other coaches with a roster Wilks had a hand in choosing. Now, is it fair for Wilks to be fired after one year? No. But it was a bad situation for him to be in either ways. Wilks and the Cardinals were simply a bad fit.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If Boy genius took over the Cardinals, they would have had a different off-season. Wilks chose his guys. McVay would have likely chosen differently. I imagine Kirk Cousins would have ended up in Arizona. They likely would have made other moves to add guys who fit his system at WR, on the OL, and on defense. Assuming McVay has his LA Coaching Staff, I bet that team has a winning season. You can't just saddle other coaches with a roster Wilks had a hand in choosing. Now, is it fair for Wilks to be fired after one year? No. But it was a bad situation for him to be in either ways. Wilks and the Cardinals were simply a bad fit.

This is a bad take, McVay wouldnt have walked in with that crapfest at GM and just built his own roster. What a hilarious butt-smooching of McVay.

6 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

A defense with Chandler Jones, Patrick Peterson, Budda Baker, Tre Boston, Antoine Bethea, etc isn't talented? Arians broke even with Blaine Gabbert. A good coach can too

Bethea is completely mediocre, way out of his prime. 

Chandler Jones and PP are the only big time players on that defense. Budda Baker is good. Tre Boston...lol.

4 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

This is a bad take, McVay wouldnt have walked in with that crapfest at GM and just built his own roster. What a hilarious butt-smooching of McVay.

Do you honestly think the head coach has no say in roster construction? Do you think Steve Keim is going to tell Sean McVay that he can't have the players who run his system? C'mon man, your post sounds seriously ignorant of NFL Front Office dynamics.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Bethea is completely mediocre, way out of his prime. 

Chandler Jones and PP are the only big time players on that defense. Budda Baker is good. Tre Boston...lol.

You also have Marcus Golden back healthy who was completely misused this year. He's a player with a double digit sack season under his belt. Corey Peters is consistent defender, not a world breaker by any means, but defenses can't always have all pros at every position. Wilks was brought in because they supposedly though he could utilize Deone Bucanon like Bowles had in the past, similar to Shaq Thompson, that didn't happen. I'm not saying our linebackers are great, because they're nothing more than serviceable. Tre Boston was coming off a career year with the Chargers, and played well with us, but was lost at times seemingly due to miscommunication that I attribute to coaching. Don't think he's a laughing matter at all. 

I'm not at all saying that this is a top 5 defense, but to say that there's no talent on this defense to be in the top half of the league is just simply ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Do you honestly think the head coach has no say in roster construction? Do you think Steve Keim is going to tell Sean McVay that he can't have the players who run his system? C'mon man, your post sounds seriously ignorant of NFL Front Office dynamics.

No, obviously they have some say but you can't just say "Oh if genius boy was there Kirk Cousins is a Cardinal and they have a better record". No backing to that, the Rams had a CLEARLY better roster in McVays first year than Wilks had. Thats not up for debate.

3 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

You also have Marcus Golden back healthy who was completely misused this year. He's a player with a double digit sack season under his belt. Corey Peters is consistent defender, not a world breaker by any means, but defenses can't always have all pros at every position. Wilks was brought in because they supposedly though he could utilize Deone Bucanon like Bowles had in the past, similar to Shaq Thompson, that didn't happen. I'm not saying our linebackers are great, because they're nothing more than serviceable. Tre Boston was coming off a career year with the Chargers, and played well with us, but was lost at times seemingly due to miscommunication that I attribute to coaching. Don't think he's a laughing matter at all. 

I'm not at all saying that this is a top 5 defense, but to say that there's no talent on this defense to be in the top half of the league is just simply ridiculous. 

Every defense has "talent" or "potential". In the grand scheme of things, the Cardinals were a bottom 10 team in terms of talent. Couple that with a rookie QB and I don't see how anyone expected success out of this squad.

4 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

No, obviously they have some say but you can't just say "Oh if genius boy was there Kirk Cousins is a Cardinal and they have a better record". No backing to that, the Rams had a CLEARLY better roster in McVays first year than Wilks had. Thats not up for debate.

The Rams had a clearly better roster because McVay coached up and helped put together that clearly better roster. I can just say that boy genius would have pursued Cousins, and based on everything we know about their relationship, it seems extraordinarily likely that Cousins would have joined him in Arizona.

9 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Every defense has "talent" or "potential". In the grand scheme of things, the Cardinals were a bottom 10 team in terms of talent. Couple that with a rookie QB and I don't see how anyone expected success out of this squad.

Success isn't even the word, just not 3-13. It was largely the same roster as the year before that went 8-8, so I expected 8-8. 3-13 is inexcusable 

Archived