Redskins release D.J. Swearinger

lavar703

2 hours ago, Dutch Redskins fan said:

Just to see it in isolation and not comparing it to others like Foster: The guy had to go! You can't keep blaming the coaches in public, that is not how a team  works. I loved his play on the field, but enough is enough.

Ideally you trade him, but he is not a easy asset to trade. Who would want a guy who clearly gets cut and has a big mouth during the game (which is great) but also the other 6 days. It takes a lot of negative energy for the coaches.

What did scare my is the story about the practices. For the second year in a row we have so many guys on IR, that is starting to become standard, could that be because of the 'lame' practices? I guess so

And if that's the case, our front office picked "discipline" over player safety, and that's flat out wrong.........but would be par for the course for the Redskins. 

So, I guess PFF use to have Swearinger as #3 ranked safety in the first half of the year but like a lot of the defense he played a lot worse in the second half of the year, especially the past month.

In the Washington Post article, Kareem Copeland said PFF had him as 11th safety in the NFL at this point in the season.

Meaning he’s called 8 spots in the last two months after a strong start the season where he had 3 ints and didn’t miss too many tackles to start the season.

So, there’s that.

4 hours ago, Dutch Redskins fan said:

Just to see it in isolation and not comparing it to others like Foster: The guy had to go! You can't keep blaming the coaches in public, that is not how a team  works. I loved his play on the field, but enough is enough.

Ideally you trade him, but he is not a easy asset to trade. Who would want a guy who clearly gets cut and has a big mouth during the game (which is great) but also the other 6 days. It takes a lot of negative energy for the coaches.

What did scare my is the story about the practices. For the second year in a row we have so many guys on IR, that is starting to become standard, could that be because of the 'lame' practices? I guess so

When Gibbs was here I remember there being tougher practices except for certain players like Clinton Portis and I remember the Redskins having a ton of injuries then. It seemed back then, the right side of their OL, Lavar Arrington, Marcus Washington and Shawn Springs we’re constantly hurt.

This whole thought process that we are the only team with major injuries is just not true. We’ve had more injuries than most the last two years, but in 2016 we didn’t have as many injuries as other teams and our offense remained mostly healthy that year which is one of the biggest reasons Cousins set Redskins passing yards records that year. 

2019 free agency preview: Who's set to cash in? - NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000946100/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-preview-fine-crop-of-dlinemen-safeties

Perhaps all the teams that failed to pay for free-agent safeties this past offseason were saving up for this group. Ha Ha Clinton-DixLandon CollinsLamarcus Joyner and Earl Thomas are in line for big paydays. 

Tyrann Mathieu is on a "prove it" contract this year, while unheralded players like Jimmie Ward and Clayton Geathers could play themselves into bigger contracts. Practically every team is looking for versatile safeties who can play a little linebacker and operate in space. This offseason's dip in the market should be an anomaly, especially because there are so many Pro Bowl-caliber players set to become available.

Bradley Roby, CB, Denver Broncos and Ronald Darby, CB, Philadelphia Eagles: The 2019 cornerback crop looks scarce after a relative bumper crop last offseason. While there are plenty of short-term-solution veterans like Brent Grimes, and Morris Claiborne, Roby and Darby stand apart as young building blocks who could earn huge free-agent contracts.

Anthony Barr, LB, Minnesota Vikings: The 2020 Vikings roster is loaded, and Barr is unlikely to be on it. Minnesota sent a message by signing Barr's UCLA buddy, Eric Kendricks, to a long-term contract before him, and there are only so many defenders a team can pay huge dollars to. Kendricks, Everson GriffenHarrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes aren't going anywhere.

If I had my wishlist of a few defensive players it would be:

1. Anthony Barr, OLB to replace Preston Smith at ROLB

2. Bradley Roby, CB to replace Norman

3. Tyron Mathieu to replace Swearinger

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

So, I guess PFF use to have Swearinger as #3 ranked safety in the first half of the year but like a lot of the defense he played a lot worse in the second half of the year, especially the past month.

In the Washington Post article, Kareem Copeland said PFF had him as 11th safety in the NFL at this point in the season.

Meaning he’s called 8 spots in the last two months after a strong start the season where he had 3 ints and didn’t miss too many tackles to start the season.

So, there’s that.

I'll take 11th out of 64. Swearinger was one of my favorite players. This move sucks. Keeping a bum like Manusky over a talent like Swearinger is ridiculous. If Manusky had any balls, he'd say,"you know what? He's right,I did call a bad game." These idiots have no accountability . The coaching staff has 2 good coaches and they are on the o and d line.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, there’s that.

The entire defense has fallen in their rankings, both as a unit and as individual players for PFF rankings.  That's what happens when you go 1-5 and your offense can't get itself out of a wet paper bag, they leave the defense on the field high and dry.  We should be used to that by now.  

44 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The entire defense has fallen in their rankings, both as a unit and as individual players for PFF rankings.  That's what happens when you go 1-5 and your offense can't get itself out of a wet paper bag, they leave the defense on the field high and dry.  We should be used to that by now.  

So... the offense and defense were better when Alex Smith was healthy??

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Drop HCD and grab Landon Collins. All for it. 

Bradley Roby instead of Norman. All for it. 

Josh Johnson instead of Colt McCoy. All for it. 

And because of this, I am done with Jay Gruden. 

5 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I'll take 11th out of 64. Swearinger was one of my favorite players. This move sucks. Keeping a bum like Manusky over a talent like Swearinger is ridiculous. If Manusky had any balls, he'd say,"you know what? He's right,I did call a bad game." These idiots have no accountability . The coaching staff has 2 good coaches and they are on the o and d line.

There’s no guarantee Manusky is back either, but they weren’t going to keep a player who had become a lockeroom cancer, even if what he said had some truth to it. They just weren’t.

Ironically for his sake, and the teams sake and I guess Redskins fans sake too, the most professional interview he gave the last 3 months was the one yesterday to Grant and Danny after he had been cut.  

Well, he learned his lesson a little to late.

4 hours ago, mike23md said:

Drop HCD and grab Landon Collins. All for it. 

Bradley Roby instead of Norman. All for it. 

Josh Johnson instead of Colt McCoy. All for it. 

And because of this, I am done with Jay Gruden. 

I don’t think the Giants let Collins walk, they’ll franchise him if they have to, but I’d love to grab Collins to be a SS. I don’t want him as a FS though.

I’m definitely for Bradley Roby over Norman. He or Dunny can be our #1 and Moreau can remain as the slot corner and hopefully he takes a jump in his second year playing slot corner like Fuller did his 2nd year in the slot.

Archived