Please Stop the Jimmy Graham Disgruntlement Thread

MacReady

Graham is 10th in receptions, 7th in yards, 11th in plays of 20+ yards or more, and 6th in first downs among TEs in the NFL this year. The only thing he hasn't been a top 10 guy in is TDs. Graham is not the problem. He's not holding this team back.

People are complaining that he isn't a top 3 TE.  It's ridiculous. 

Jimmy Graham is having a damn good year at tight end.  People just have no perspective whatsoever and expect him to be this incredible billion super duper plays player when that's not realistic. 

Jimmy Graham was also directly responsible for Jake Kumerow getting open on a 49 yard TD pass by drawing coverage to him. 

He has also been wide damn open on a HUGE amount of third down plays that have ended in sacks. 

Now look at it like this:

Since 2002 (since the NFL had 32 teams).

16 years.  16 x 32 = 512. 

That is 512 seasons for tight ends.  This is NOT accounting for teams who use a lot of two tight end sets, who had tight ends take over for other tight ends during the season, etc. 

Out of those 512 seasons from tight ends since we've had 32 teams in the league, Jimmy Graham's season ranks:

166th in receiving yards.
189th in receptions.

That's good for top 32% in receiving yards for tight ends since 2002. 
That's good for top 36% in receptions for tight ends since 2002. 

He still has one game left to rise in those rankings, too. 

You're all being extremely unfair on him considering the season he's had, as well as the season he COULD HAVE HAD if Rodgers had thrown to him as often as he should have. 

I'm sick of this lack of perspective on this site. 

The Tight Ends ahead of him in yards this season:

Travis Kelce (Best tight end in football)
George Kittle (6 years younger)
Zach Ertz (just set the NFL record for receptions by a tight end)
Jared Cook (Should have kept him.  Tough mammaries, we didn't)
Eric Ebron (I was the one arguing for us to sign him when all the rest of you were saying we need to sign Jimmy)
Rob Gronkowski (Best tight end in the history of the league)
Kyle Rudolph (Jimmy should have been able to eclipse Rudolph's numbers).

That's it.  Jimmy Graham is ahead of every other TE in the league.  Those are the players better than Graham this year.  Every single one of those tight ends is younger than Graham. 

I told everyone as soon as we signed Graham that it was going to take time for him to get in sync with Rodgers.  Jimmy Graham is going to have a monster season for us next year, and you're all going to look really darn silly for complaining about the tenth best tight end in the league. 

It's just so crazy to me how I was the only one not jumping for joy at signing Graham and how I was preaching low expectations, and now that Graham had a season better than I expected, I'm the one defending his season when everyone else is ready to cut him. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

People are complaining that he isn't a top 3 TE.  It's ridiculous. 

You left out the minor detail about him being the highest paid TE in the league. There's your perspective.

You also left out the detail about him having Aaron Rodgers at QB, not Josh Allen or Ryan Tannehill. You also left out the detail that he plays on a team with exactly one weapon who (should) trump him for targets. Its not like we have Adams, Nelson, Jennings, Driver and then Graham. We have Adams.....and...no one...and Graham.

Trying to color Graham's year as anything but disappointing (even in his own words) is a lost cause and resorting to box score statistics isn't changing that. 

For $10 million a year, the guy is closer to a "bust" than "having a damn good year." In reality, he's been about average between the 20s and well below average inside the 20.

Just now, YaddaHolla said:

I don’t hate Jimmy I just don’t think the money should’ve been spent on him. Rodgers will never consistently target the TE position. Just like he’ll never consistently target the RB. It’s a waste of salary cap IMO and Jimmys stats prove that.

How can you say they prove that when he's the 10th best TE in receptions, 7th best in yards? 

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Jimmy Graham is having a damn good year at tight end.  People just have no perspective whatsoever and expect him to be this incredible billion super duper plays player when that's not realistic. 

No he's absolutely not. He's had flashes but if you think he's been "damn good" this year then you need to up your standards.

9 games with 3 or less receptions, 9 games with less than 40 yards. I mean the guy has as many games with 1 catch as 6+, not exactly the kind of production you're looking for from the highest paid TE in the NFL. He's nonexistent in the blocking department, so you better make up for that with your receiving ability and he just hasn't.

I'm not going to put 100% of the blame on him though. Our Offense as a whole has taken a big step back this year and it's arguably been Rodgers worst/most inefficient year as a starter. I commend him for gutting it out with his thumb, which has clearly hampered his ability to catch and grip the football.

I've come around to Graham being a Packer next year, for multiple reasons but lets not kid ourselves by saying Graham has been "damn good" this year because he hasn't been close to that, especially when you factor in how much he costs.

Just now, packfanfb said:

You left out the minor detail about him being the highest paid TE in the league. There's your perspective.

He's the highest paid TE in the league because he was the free agentest TE in the league. 

That's the way the NFL works. 

Tonyan could’ve done what Graham did this season had he had the opportunities, at a fraction of the cost.

No he could not have, and shame on you if you think he could have, and a bigger shame on you if you think Tonyan wouldn't be starting if he was capable of what Graham did. 

Tonyan is Jeff Janis at tight end. 

All Graham is now is a 50/50 ball guy. He can’t block, he can’t run, he can’t even break tackles from DBs who are half his size. He had a shot at 2 50/50 balls yesterday and didn’t do his job. Sorry but you can’t convince me that spending 10mil  for 500 yards is good.

Just now, gopackgo27 said:

I've come around to Graham being a Packer next year, for multiple reasons but lets not kid ourselves by saying Graham has been "damn good" this year because he hasn't been close to that, especially when you factor in how much he costs.

By this logic we should trade Aaron Rodgers for Nate Mullens.  If you factor in cost, Nate Mullens is at least twice the QB Rodgers is. 

When will people stop using cost as some sort of way to suggest skill?

It doesn't make sense. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

He's the highest paid TE in the league because he was the free agentest TE in the league. 

That's the way the NFL works. 

And that's the reason why I dont blame Gute one iota for making the move. He tried to make the team better, and you have to spend money to do that. We missed out on Robinson so Graham was the next best option on paper. 

It's also the same reason I wouldnt pay Jimmy Graham that same money in 2019. I'd move on. 

All Graham is now is a 50/50 ball guy. He can’t block, he can’t run, he can’t even break tackles from DBs who are half his size. He had a shot at 2 50/50 balls yesterday and didn’t do his job. Sorry but you can’t convince me that spending 10mil  for 500 yards is good.

One of the 50/50 balls he drew DPI in the end zone, so I'd say that is pretty close to doing his job lol

I'm not trying to convince you of that.  Cost means eff all right now.  The cost was a matter of Graham being the best available TE on paper in free agency, and what it took to get him. 

You'll notice that literally nothing in the original post made any mention whatsoever of cost.

I do not give a flying carp about price. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No he could not have, and shame on you if you think he could have, and a bigger shame on you if you think Tonyan wouldn't be starting if he was capable of what Graham did. 

Tonyan is Jeff Janis at tight end

Perhaps but Graham is 2017-2018 Jordy at TE.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

By this logic we should trade Aaron Rodgers for Nate Mullens.  If you factor in cost, Nate Mullens is at least twice the QB Rodgers is. 

When will people stop using cost as some sort of way to suggest skill?

It doesn't make sense. 

Yep, that's exactly what we should do. Seriously man? That's your counter argument?

Archived