2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

Bruce Arians has pretty much indicated that he's going with Winston as his starting QB.  I wonder what this means for Fitzpatrick next season?  As he seems to be okay with moving, I wonder if he would be a possible #2 QB pick up for the Vikings?  It was evident this season that he's still capable of coming off the bench and winning some games.

7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Bruce Arians has pretty much indicated that he's going with Winston as his starting QB.  I wonder what this means for Fitzpatrick next season?  As he seems to be okay with moving, I wonder if he would be a possible #2 QB pick up for the Vikings?  It was evident this season that he's still capable of coming off the bench and winning some games.

I understand the value of a competent backup QB but given cap constraints with how much they are paying Cousins I don't see bringing in a proven backup as likely scenario. That money is better spent on offensive linemen that will be starting. For better or worse, that leaves the team looking at low rent proven backups or rolling with an unproven backup like Sloter. If the team isn't comfortable with Sloter as a backup yet they should probably just let him go. Either way, I think the team should be looking to bring a rookie in as the developmental third QB and going with a cheap backup -- Sloter or cheap veteran.

42 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Or Case Keenum after he is cut. Can't imagine he will cost much.

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Barring an unforeseen injury, I can’t imagine a scenario where the team adds another free agent QB. It seems pretty logical that Sloter will move up to the #2 spot. 

I wouldn't be so certain with that. Seems like we've always had an experienced veteran backup. I wouldn't spend much on the position. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn't be so certain with that. Seems like we've always had an experienced veteran backup. I wouldn't spend much on the position. 

An experienced veteran backup is less important when you are starting an experienced veteran that has been durable throughout his career. But yeah, the team went out and traded for a QB with some starting experience last year to compete for the backup job. Perhaps Zimmer likes a guy with experience there.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t know what they will do, but at some point you need to give Sloter a shot to move up the depth chart.

Thomas Davis will be a free agent in March.  He says he's not retiring after a long and successful career with the Panthers.  What would you think about signing him, especially if Barr doesn't return.  Pros: Experience and Leadership...Cons: Age and has had significant knee issues in the past.

29 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Thomas Davis will be a free agent in March.  He says he's not retiring after a long and successful career with the Panthers.  What would you think about signing him, especially if Barr doesn't return.  Pros: Experience and Leadership...Cons: Age and has had significant knee issues in the past.

I would love that signing if it was reasonable. Eric Wilson may turn into a starter, but we need to make him compete for the job in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Id take Davis at $3 million over Barr at $14 million.

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

As @Cearbhall indicated, with Cousins' history of durability, I wouldn't be surprised to see them just roll with Sloter as the #2 and bring in another developmental QB via draft/UDFA. With Sloter entering his 3rd year, it's time for him to step up and take the backup job.   

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

As @Cearbhall indicated, with Cousins' history of durability, I wouldn't be surprised to see them just roll with Sloter as the #2 and bring in another developmental QB via draft/UDFA. With Sloter entering his 3rd year, it's time for him to step up and take the backup job.   

For a front office and coaching staff so determined to win now (feel like it been this way since the Bradford trade), I have a hard time believing they'd go with an inexperienced #2 QB.

38 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

For a front office and coaching staff so determined to win now (feel like it been this way since the Bradford trade), I have a hard time believing they'd go with an inexperienced #2 QB.

Sloter was way better than Siemian last pre-season. I also don't think we'll be able to go out and afford an "experienced" #2 QB. 

Archived