2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Rodger Saffold started his career pretty poor but these past coulple he’s been pretty damn good

Saffold is a little younger. Just very pessimistic about spending $10+ million on a 30+ year old looking for the last big contract of their careers. It's a risk but could certainly help the the OL in a 1-3 year period.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn't Foster 32? What other players of his caliber are available?

Oh absolutely, I am well aware of his age. Foster shouldn't be counted on very long. He is a guy to fill the spot while the team finds an answer in the draft. The team should look to draft a  guard high in the draft this year even after getting two guards before the draft.

Andrew Whitworth wasn't very young with the Rams signed him. He is working out well for them. Even John Sullivan was well into his career when the Rams signed him. But year, the team should not rest even after signing a guy like Foster and getting another quality guard before the draft.

7 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Its actually a good FA class for offensive linemen at least for now. A lot will change. The team may need to look to trades too.

It is probably just a difference in team building philosophy but to me having a Ramon Foster caliber guy on the O-line is easily worth sacrificing a Richardson or Barr caliber player on the defense. I am comfortable with Zimmer being able to coach up a LBer to replace Barr. With Richardson, he  is good but not at all that good. Honestly, I would rather have an upgrade over Richardson. Tom Johnson is not an upgrade at all but a viable member of a stopgap rotation until the team finds a solution there. DT would be a position I would be considering in the first round along with offensive line.

For the most part dating back, everyone has been an advocate of improving the offensive line, drafting and free agency. Year after year we saw offensive lineman always getting offers from the Vikings and always ending up elsewhere.

for the most part thru the Adrian Peterson era we had a pretty solid offensive line, big names, big guys, that moved people, we just never once had a QB or a defense. 

We slowly molded the defense to gain talent and our offensive line got worse and worse and to a point we had no talent on our offense all together besides a banged up and in trouble Adrian. 

Now with our defense built up, pretty much starting last year we all begged for more on the offensive side of the ball. We got a fancy new QB and 2nd round TE and we all thought SB run. It just isn’t enough

Solid defense, I really believe Kirk is good enough to get us a playoff run to a SB, but without any sort of offensive line it will NEVER happen. 

We all know, and we all can look back at any of the great defenses that won Super Bowls, they all had one heck of an offensive line and were able to at least run the ball. This past year be could barely do either of those. 

Thing is we’ve all asked to improve the offensive line over the years, asked for an improved defense, improved QB, we just haven’t been able to get it all in a year period of time. 

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Oh absolutely, I am well aware of his age. Foster shouldn't be counted on very long. He is a guy to fill the spot while the team finds an answer in the draft. The team should look to draft a  guard high in the draft this year even after getting two guards before the draft.

Andrew Whitworth wasn't very young with the Rams signed him. He is working out well for them. Even John Sullivan was well into his career when the Rams signed him. But year, the team should not rest even after signing a guy like Foster and getting another quality guard before the draft.

Without throwing $15M we won’t get Foster short term. Giving him $15M you’re not going to have money to sign another guard.

9 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

For the most part dating back, everyone has been an advocate of improving the offensive line, drafting and free agency. Year after year we saw offensive lineman always getting offers from the Vikings and always ending up elsewhere.

for the most part thru the Adrian Peterson era we had a pretty solid offensive line, big names, big guys, that moved people, we just never once had a QB or a defense. 

We slowly molded the defense to gain talent and our offensive line got worse and worse and to a point we had no talent on our offense all together besides a banged up and in trouble Adrian. 

Now with our defense built up, pretty much starting last year we all begged for more on the offensive side of the ball. We got a fancy new QB and 2nd round TE and we all thought SB run. It just isn’t enough

Solid defense, I really believe Kirk is good enough to get us a playoff run to a SB, but without any sort of offensive line it will NEVER happen. 

We all know, and we all can look back at any of the great defenses that won Super Bowls, they all had one heck of an offensive line and were able to at least run the ball. This past year be could barely do either of those. 

Thing is we’ve all asked to improve the offensive line over the years, asked for an improved defense, improved QB, we just haven’t been able to get it all in a year period of time. 

This is where I differ. I don't believe that Cousins is good enough as a QB to allow for the Vikings to have a deep playoff run.

Im all for building up the OL, more to improve the run game than anything, but I don't think it's going to fix Cousins and his flaws. 

Unless the defense plays at a historically elite level next year (hard to see that happening with Griffen and Joseph on the decline and no resources to effectively get comparable players to the 2017 versions), It's going to be hard to win with a subpar QB.

I don't see any calls for investing in the defense so how do they start playing better in big games?

Just now, vikingsrule said:

This is where I differ. I don't believe that Cousins is good enough as a QB to allow for the Vikings to have a deep playoff run.

Im all for building up the OL, more to improve the run game than anything, but I don't think it's going to fix Cousins and his flaws. 

Unless the defense plays at a historically elite level next year (hard to see that happening with Griffen and Joseph on the decline and no resources to effectively get comparable players to the 2017 versions), It's going to be hard to win with a subpar QB.

Yeah and I understand that, I just believe he is, well par. I do believe he is a far better QB than he showed this year. 

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yeah and I understand that, I just believe he is, well par. I do believe he is a far better QB than he showed this year. 

He's got an easier schedule next year so that will help. But how will he hold up against the Bears, Packers (assumed to be better), Chiefs, Chargers and Seahawks next year.  That's roughly six losses right there based on his record against teams with winning records.

38 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Lots of DL talent in this draft.

34 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He's got an easier schedule next year so that will help. But how will he hold up against the Bears, Packers (assumed to be better), Chiefs, Chargers and Seahawks next year.  That's roughly six losses right there based on his record against teams with winning records.

NFL will do us no favors in scheduling those games, we'll probably have a 3-game west coast road trip and then play at Soldier and at Lambeau in December.

Did anyone see last week's Saints game?  Teddy was a little shaky at first, but he made some nice plays as the game wore on.  Not bad overall considering this was his first real game action in a long time.  I've been wondering if it would make sense to find a way to get him back from the Saints.  He would be a backup who could very possibly save our season next year if Cousins fizzles out completely or gets hurt.  He might not cost all that much either, considering his talent level.  Would anyone else be open to bringing Teddy back home to Minnesota?

G.U.M.P. = Great Under Major Pressure, in other words, he is the anti-Cousins!

16 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Mark Glowinski is a free agent.... how did I miss this.

Had a pretty damn good year this year. Top 15 guard in the NFL this year and probably wouldn’t come all that expensive.

If we are to target one F/A guard and a fair price range, he would probably be my go to, and hopefully target 2 more offensive in the draft, one early, one mid-round. 

What makes you think this (the expensive part)? Also, the Colts have a lot of cap space...

Archived