Picking 8th

Superduperman

1 hour ago, detroitroar said:

He better be Gronk-like

This just seems like a really lazy pick. Several of the best TE's in the league were picked outside of the 1st round. We have more pressing needs. Maybe we trade down and take the TE or we trade back up into the 1st... I would rather we did neither... but no way we take that guy at #8.

15 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

This is a good TE class. It’s a need, but they don’t contribute immediately and we can get a good one in the second or third round. 

I agree, but TE just doesn't have the impact that other positions have on winning IMO.  A solid TE can be great in the right system.  I am all for drafting 1 or 2 this year, but not in the 1st and probably not the 2nd. 

18 hours ago, Lions017 said:

This is a good TE class. It’s a need, but they don’t contribute immediately and we can get a good one in the second or third round. 

Exactly - it's a good class but it's not the most pressing need. TE's tend to need 2-3 years to be impactful. Why pass over immediate impact players at a position of need (DL).

I agree that taking a TE that early would kinda suck... but... I could totally see it happening. They already tried to trade this 1st rounder for Gronk last year, so clearly they are at least open to adding a high-level TE. Hockenson and Fant do look like legitimately great prospects, but the TE position really isn't worth such a high pick if you're aren't getting a hall of fame caliber player. The TE position is really weak in free agency this year, so it's almost a guarantee that the Lions will draft a TE at some point, the real questions are when will they pull the trigger and will they draft more than one? Under Bob Quinn, round 1 and round 2 have been where they've targeted positions that need an instant impact. Round 3 has been more of an intended year 2 impact/potential impact at the end of year 1. Round 4 they targeted role players (and seemingly got lucky with Da'shawn Hand). Round 5 and later they target depth or special teams. In Darrell Bevells offense they might value having two starting level tight ends, so even if they do get one of the few decent free agent tight ends they still might take someone like Hockenson or Fant early on. 

11 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I agree that taking a TE that early would kinda suck... but... I could totally see it happening. They already tried to trade this 1st rounder for Gronk last year, so clearly they are at least open to adding a high-level TE. Hockenson and Fant do look like legitimately great prospects, but the TE position really isn't worth such a high pick if you're aren't getting a hall of fame caliber player. The TE position is really weak in free agency this year, so it's almost a guarantee that the Lions will draft a TE at some point, the real questions are when will they pull the trigger and will they draft more than one? Under Bob Quinn, round 1 and round 2 have been where they've targeted positions that need an instant impact. Round 3 has been more of an intended year 2 impact/potential impact at the end of year 1. Round 4 they targeted role players (and seemingly got lucky with Da'shawn Hand). Round 5 and later they target depth or special teams. In Darrell Bevells offense they might value having two starting level tight ends, so even if they do get one of the few decent free agent tight ends they still might take someone like Hockenson or Fant early on. 

I'm of the belief that we would look at drafting a TE in Round 2 and likely bring in another guy in rounds 5-7. It's possible that they bring Luke back since he's familiar with Bevell's system (and honestly, I'd love to see the local kid do well). Toilolo came around towards the end of the year as well. I feel like they're going to target the position in multiple ways in an attempt to try and fix it. This is especially the case as I've read that Bevell does like to incorporate the TE>WR3 and is more likely to run two TE sets often.

If the QB's start to fall a bit, we could trade down and take a guy like Fant in the middle of the 1st if they truly feel he is the guy to do it. If teams are overvaluing the QB's, then I'd prefer that we stay put at 8 and draft a stud defensive lineman or Devin White.

It's not real. They're not really going to take a TE. I posted it as a joke but honestly. They won't take one, there are other better players available at 8 that won't be TE's. Just mock dummies treating the Lions like well... Dummies. 

2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds? Those are up for grabs at alot of positions but I'll ALMOST bet 1,000$ a TE isn't taken at 8.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

It's not real. They're not really going to take a TE. I posted it as a joke but honestly. They won't take one, there are other better players available at 8 that won't be TE's. Just mock dummies treating the Lions like well... Dummies. 

2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds? Those are up for grabs at alot of positions but I'll ALMOST bet 1,000$ a TE isn't taken at 8.

I'd bet money that we'll be taking a TE in rounds 2-3. Whether in our original selection or in a trade up/trade down scenario. We have too much of a need at the position to not address it somewhat early on (but sure as heck not top 10 early).

Archived