2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

44 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You both have points, but technically, they still aren't home games, and the Browns will be much improved and their fans fired up.

We'll see, but I am far from convinced Cleveland is going to be any good. The Browns' season rests on Johnny Man, er Baker Mayfield, and a rookie Head Coach who was only promoted to OC last year after they cleaned house. I think they had a better shot sticking with Gregg Williams, but maybe they think they have something with Kitchens? 

7 hours ago, cjfollett said:

We'll see, but I am far from convinced Cleveland is going to be any good. The Browns' season rests on Johnny Man, er Baker Mayfield, and a rookie Head Coach who was only promoted to OC last year after they cleaned house. I think they had a better shot sticking with Gregg Williams, but maybe they think they have something with Kitchens? 

I agree...I am certainly not going to crown them yet, but you at least have to admit that this is the most promising team they have had since the 80s.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree...I am certainly not going to crown them yet, but you at least have to admit that this is the most promising team they have had since the 80s.

On paper, yes. They look like a team that can compete for the AFC North title. However, when I look back at a few games from last season, I am not convinced they can take that next step -- yet.

We all rooted for them against the Ravens, and for one game at least, we felt what is was like to be a Browns fan. Ugh.

On paper, Cleveland sweep the division.

I said a few days ago, right now i could see us missing the playoffs and opening the season 2-4, based on our 'paper' schedule.

Thing is...we dont play games on paper.

I could see all the personalities in Cleveland blowing up in their face. Regardless the order of hierarchy imo will be:

Steelers ( imo division winners, possible wildcard)

Browns (possible wildcard/division winner, 9 wins max)

Ravens (6 wins max)

Bengals (4 wins max)

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, wwhickok said:

On paper, Cleveland sweep the division.

I said a few days ago, right now i could see us missing the playoffs and opening the season 2-4, based on our 'paper' schedule.

Thing is...we dont play games on paper.

I could see all the personalities in Cleveland blowing up in their face. Regardless the order of hierarchy imo will be:

Steelers ( imo division winners, possible wildcard)

Browns (possible wildcard/division winner, 9 wins max)

Ravens (6 wins max)

Bengals (4 wins max)

Ravens 6 wins max?  Uhh... no.   I'm not sold on Lamar, but with their D and running game, they could surprise alot of people.

Bengals are a huge question mark.

Browns....lots of potential, but we have seen teams like this before not live up to the hype.

Steelers could win anywhere between 6 and 12 games...my guess is 9 or 10 and fighting for a playoff spot with the Rats and Skidmarks.

AFC north is up in the air for me. I would not be shocked if even the Bengals win it(I believe that roster still has some decent talent and a new coaching staff could put it back together). first time in forever I felt this way about this div..

Edited by August4th

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Reportedly it's going to make him one of the top paid players in the league so no I don't think it's saving us any money Ben Roethlisberger has never been that guy

To be fair though, no one has really ever been that guy. The only person who has been is also the only NFL player in history to not be the breadwinner in his own home. 

This deal was never going to be below $30/per. Just no way. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

To be fair though, no one has really ever been that guy. The only person who has been is also the only NFL player in history to not be the breadwinner in his own home. 

This deal was never going to be below $30/per. Just no way. 

No. But given has poorly he protected the football last year and my expectations of him moving forward, it should be. He best not get another extension after this.

Just now, wwhickok said:

No. But given has poorly he protected the football last year and my expectations of him moving forward, it should be. He best not get another extension after this.

He probably wont -- he would be going 40+.

Matt Ryan makes $30/per. Stafford, Garropolo(!!!!!) and Cousins all in the $27-$28/per. The tag is also going to be around $30, so there is no point in offering less than that. 

Despite the turnovers, he was still at least a top 5-8 QB talent - you can also argue that it was volume that raised the turnovers, not a decrease in skill seeing as his percentages were elevated, but in line with the last 8 years.

Contracts dont work backwards, its only about whose turn it is (which is also why FA spending is outrageously stupid for the most part). I wish they woulda signed Ben before Russell because you could have at least used Rogers as a stopping point considering him the top guy and marking Ben between the tag and Rogers. But after Russ surpasses that, there was no chance at tampering his deal. 

• Like 1