International Football Thread

LeeEvans

On 02/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, Kip Smithers said:

They might as well just skip the group stages. The only benefit of the easy group stages is that the teams who qualify for knockouts are going to be mostly notable nations.

Doesn't it just make you itch for an expanded tournament 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, dotmotion said:

So Canada thought it was a good decision to replace one of the best coaches we had in the last decade with the women's coach. Ridiculous incompetence from the national team program again. 

Wow. That's incredible. I've never heard of anything like that. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Wow. That's incredible. I've never heard of anything like that. 

According to the Shefter of Canadian soccer. The women's coach was offered the England's women's team and he was going to take it unless he was given the men's job. **** off... 

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Is the Canadian women's team even any good?

We are near the top but I don't think ever good enough to beat the States. Back to back bronze medal winners in the Olympics which I feel like is our ceiling. A team that is around 3-8th in the world.

I don't think Herdman is a bad coach. He has done a good job with the women's team. The Canadian women's program was a mess before he came; missing out of Olympics and never getting out of the Group Stages in the World Cup. Under him, we won two bronzes and made the quarters at the WWC. He has definitely improved the side. From what I have read, he is also great at the administrative part of Canada soccer. He has been instrumental in champion development centres for women players around Canada and creating a pipeline for them to get into the National Team. I just feel like the women's game is too different from men's. It is going to be a steep learning curve for him to deal with players who play in Europe and whose priority isn't the national team. It's going to be difficult to work with players on two week camps compared to months. 

It sucks because Zambrano has done a really good job making Canada play exciting football. We finally got some positive momentum behind us with Davies, Larin, Hoillet and co. It just feels like we are back at the bottom again with a coach that is a huge question mark. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, texans_uk said:

The dreaded fortnight is back. 

Danny Welbeck makes it into the England squad again alongside West Ham stalwart Joe Hart. Discuss. 

I'm actually almost pleased with this International break. Give Kane a chance to get fit. Having said that, I despise International Football that isn't a major tournament. 

International Football is obsolete except for the major tournaments.

Condense the domestic league schedule and have qualifying and the tournament all happen in one big summer.

By having international squads spend more time together and playing more games in a shorter amount of time you actually get a more cohesive product of football. 

You also remove the crappy international breaks that literally no one likes. 

6 minutes ago, TomRalph said:

International Football is obsolete except for the major tournaments.

Condense the domestic league schedule and have qualifying and the tournament all happen in one big summer.

By having international squads spend more time together and playing more games in a shorter amount of time you actually get a more cohesive product of football. 

You also remove the crappy international breaks that literally no one likes. 

Well the FL and PL have just voted for a 2 week winter break.

There just arent enough weeks in the year to play football. 

On 3/20/2018 at 10:23 AM, texans_uk said:

The dreaded fortnight is back. 

Danny Welbeck makes it into the England squad again alongside West Ham stalwart Joe Hart. Discuss. 

I've seen a lot people compare Welbeck's stats to Glenn Murray's and can't help at laugh. I don't really believe that Murray should be in the squad but it's still funny from a manager who said they'd select on form.

Vardy has been amazing this season, with Kane out I'd imagine he gets his chance to lead the line. 

• 2 months later...

So we are officially two weeks away from the World Cup. I'm starting to get excited even though I dont really have any reason to be. 

I'll try and do some really short write ups for the groups but its gonna be tough with work and trying to buy a house, I've been short on time recently. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

So we are officially two weeks away from the World Cup. I'm starting to get excited even though I dont really have any reason to be. 

I'll try and do some really short write ups for the groups but its gonna be tough with work and trying to buy a house, I've been short on time recently. 

Buying a house sucks, but is great at the same time.

Kinda like planning a wedding.

I'm kinda looking forward to it, but at the same time not, like most England fans.

6 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Buying a house sucks, but is great at the same time.

Kinda like planning a wedding.

I'm kinda looking forward to it, but at the same time not, like most England fans.

I'm sort of excited for Englad. They seem like they actually have some sort of idea about how they want to play and a handful of young, talented players. I dont expect them to make too much noise but I think they can definitely lay some solid ground work for moving forward. I think overall they'll struggle to create but with the likes of Kane, Alli, Rashford, Sterling and Lindagard they have some huge pieces that could actually produce some excitement.

I'm pretty sure I said exactly the same thing before Euro 2016 though. 

The whole Sterling thing going on right now is absolutely disgusting btw. 

And yeah, buying a house is insane. It's a mix of excitement and terror haha.

4 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

The whole Sterling thing going on right now is absolutely disgusting btw. 

I can understand both sides. On one hand the media have blown is out of proportion, on the other how dumb do you have to be to get an M16 tattooed on your leg. There's a real lack of self awareness from Sterling even if it was meant with good intentions.