2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

6 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I don’t see that at all. Can you explain why?

I don’t see it either. Based on the Waldo edge rushing criteria, Gholston was a high risk with poor twitch (1.27)  while both Bosa (.99) and Allen (1.0) have good twitch (based on the 10 yard splits I was able to find) and would be rated as Med-Low RIsk (because their 3cone was over 7).

Sweat (1.14) is a Med Risk. The only Low Risk prospect for twitch is Chase Winovich (.94).  Both Oliver and Gary are low risk for explosiveness. Gary is also Med-Low Risk for Twitch. Oliver didn’t run at combine but based on his pro day, would also be a Med Low Risk for Twitch.

twitch formula = Shuttle- (2*10 yd)-(1,60-10yd). Low risk requires a twitch under 1.1 and a3 cone under 7. If the 3cone is over 7 they are Med Low Risk.. 

My point being 

Bad Team thinking: 

No second round pick, trade down for one or two, immediately flip one or a possible future pick for a veteran and turn around and also pay veteran big contract extension, thus straining your cap further. Then being stuck in a cycle of never having many picks. (See Mike Tannenbaum/Macagnan and the Jets)

Good Team thinking:

No second round pick, trade down for one or two, select the correct productive rookie players and have them under ridiculously cheap contracts for 4-5 years. Continue on this path, then re-sign, or flip them for more picks/comp picks. (See Bill Belichick and the Patriots) 

So looking back at the last 20 years, which route makes the most sense for the next 20 years?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Johntyler82 said:

My point being 

Bad Team thinking: 

No second round pick, trade down for one or two, immediately flip one or a possible future pick for a veteran and turn around and also pay veteran big contract extension, thus straining your cap further. Then being stuck in a cycle of never having many picks. (See Mike Tannenbaum/Macagnan and the Jets)

Good Team thinking:

No second round pick, trade down for one or two, select the correct productive rookie players and have them under ridiculously cheap contracts for 4-5 years. Continue on this path, then re-sign, or flip them for more picks/comp picks. (See Bill Belichick and the Patriots) 

So looking back at the last 20 years, which route makes the most sense for the next 20 years?

If we get a 2nd and swing it for Clark, what are the odds that the 2nd rounder is nearly as productive as Clark who’s arguably a top 5 pass rusher in the league right now?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johntyler82 said:

My point being 

Bad Team thinking: 

Good Team thinking:

I agree 100%. We need to stay the course for once, but we wont.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

If we get a 2nd and swing it for Clark, what are the odds that the 2nd rounder is nearly as productive as Clark who’s arguably a top 5 pass rusher in the league right now?

Clark was a second round pick himself. We need young players under team control badly since we had to give a MLB pass rusher money just to get him here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Clark was a second round pick himself. We need young players under team control badly since we had to give a MLB pass rusher money just to get him here.

We’ve literally be complaining for 10+ years that we don’t have an edge. We have a chance to trade for an arguably elite one while not sacrificing a first and people would rather take the chance on Mac drafting someone given his crappy draft history. Unbelievable. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We’ve literally be complaining for 10+ years that we don’t have an edge. We have a chance to trade for an arguably elite one while not sacrificing a first and people would rather take the chance on Mac drafting someone given his crappy draft history. Unbelievable. 

We dont "have a chance" to get Clark though. Where are you getting that from? You act like we already have 4 2nd round picks to dispose of how we please. We do not, and we WILL have to sacrifice a top 3 pick. Period.  

If we have a chance of anything realistically, its hitting on one of the two or three clear best defensive players in the draft that we do NOT have to sign to an over the top extension. I will absolutely take Macs drafting record in the top 6, lucky or not. 

Which would you rather have? 

Clark and MORE cap space tied up for 4 years

Or

Allen/Bosa under 4/5 year rookie contracts and hope they hit just like Darnold/Adams/Williams, with no cap crunch? 

I will take the latter any day of the week, we have sucked for a long time because of no homegrown talent. Not because we pass up on a veteran pass rusher here or there. 

26 minutes ago, Johntyler82 said:

We dont "have a chance" to get Clark though. Where are you getting that from? You act like we already have 4 2nd round picks to dispose of how we please. We do not, and we WILL have to sacrifice a top 3 pick. Period.  

If we have a chance of anything realistically, its hitting on one of the two or three clear best defensive players in the draft that we do NOT have to sign to an over the top extension. I will absolutely take Macs drafting record in the top 6, lucky or not. 

Which would you rather have? 

Clark and MORE cap space tied up for 4 years

Or

Allen/Bosa under 4/5 year rookie contracts and hope they hit just like Darnold/Adams/Williams, with no cap crunch? 

I will take the latter any day of the week, we have sucked for a long time because of no homegrown talent. Not because we pass up on a veteran pass rusher here or there. 

You need to learn how to debate and not be so condescending. With that said, it’s obviously all contingent on a trade down.

I'm just not a fan of Clark. I know his numbers look great and is young but I just have a feeling we will get locked in on a bad contract with him ad lose a high draft pick. I would take a pass on him unless he signs for less and only give uo a 4th for him. I would rather draft young guy too. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You need to learn how to debate and not be so condescending. With that said, it’s obviously all contingent on a trade down.

I legit blame this on being raised by a condescending military vet lol. You're right, my apologies. 

I want Clark just as bad as you guys, but I want to be a better team for many years much more than one player.