2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

42 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The one thing I will say about the recent Oliver reports: it’s pretty clear the source of this “leak” is Gregg Williams himself - or someone who is close to him. 

How do you draw that conclusion? 

Isn't it far more likely it's a planned leak by the team, considering the draft is just around the corner? 

We were never tied to Oliver before basically early last week. If Gregg Williams was behind it, there would have been more smoke before then. 

Two things I hope happen during the draft.

The Jets DON'T get Clark. I really hope we pass on him. I like the draft players better than him and I don't think he is worth the 17 or 20 mill he wants. I see him signing and then we are stuck with a bad contact and a guy with off field issues. 

I hope the Jets end up with Bosa and a good center in Bradbury, Jenkins or McCoy. 

If these two things happen we just got a lot better and we will go into next years draft with all picks and the Darnold debit is payed off. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I will day this. If you’re gonna draft a guy for his defense, you kinda have to let him pick the guy that he wants or can work best with. 

I mean it’s a double edge sword it could end up great or end up like Rex with Coples and talking us down from Chandler Jones.

1 hour ago, Johntyler82 said:

How do you draw that conclusion? 

Isn't it far more likely it's a planned leak by the team, considering the draft is just around the corner? 

We were never tied to Oliver before basically early last week. If Gregg Williams was behind it, there would have been more smoke before then. 

We've been linked to him since very early on in the process, met with him at the combine, and flew him in for a visit. What's clear about everyone who has recently expressed the Oliver-Jets connection? They mention Gregg Williams' use of him. Seems pretty clear to me that Williams is the person who thinks the world of him, but that shouldn't suggest the Jets also feel the same way. 

52 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Two things I hope happen during the draft.

The Jets DON'T get Clark. I really hope we pass on him. I like the draft players better than him and I don't think he is worth the 17 or 20 mill he wants. I see him signing and then we are stuck with a bad contact and a guy with off field issues. 

I hope the Jets end up with Bosa and a good center in Bradbury, Jenkins or McCoy. 

If these two things happen we just got a lot better and we will go into next years draft with all picks and the Darnold debit is payed off. 

It’s not possible to end up with Bosa and one of those three unless Jenkins falls. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

True. But also this fan base didn’t want Chandler Jones either lol. 

I wanted DeCastro bad that year or Melvin Ingram. 

I wanted Chandler Jones for what it’s worth. I also wanted Ingram and when he was there I thought he was ours. Just terrible drafting! 

24 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I wanted Chandler Jones for what it’s worth. I also wanted Ingram and when he was there I thought he was ours. Just terrible drafting! 

When we were on the clock I think the entire forum was screaming for Ingram.

The forum seemed overall sour on Jones and even Mercilus but I think that was from Gholston PTSD.  I liked all 3. Thought Coples wouldn’t even be there honestly. He was getting Julius Peppers comparisons. Those are hilarious now.

31 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I loved Ingram, i was not a big Chandler Jones guy... guess I was wrong about him for sure.  

12 minutes ago, xenajets said:

It just seems like when something seems to good too be true we talk ourselves out of making the obvious decision. Allen (as I think Bosa would be loved by fans/pundits/FO) is a guy who’s 6’5 260lbs with insane speed, power and has the resume to match with 17 sacks last year. 

But being realistic what would the Jets FO think Oliver or Williams would turn in to? If it’s another Leo Williams then why bother getting a guy that high in the draft? We proven with the trade for Anderson that inside pass rushers can be found. What we’ve also proven is the elusive edge rusher is not so easy. 

While I agree with you, I think the reason Allen is lower than say Oliver/Williams is because Allen is a guy whose floor is high but ceiling may not be that much higher, whereas Oliver/Williams ceilings are limitless. Allen is literally the type of EDGE I would create in a lab; he has all the traits you desire in an EDGE rusher. Yes he was very productive this year, but he doesn't necessarily project as the type of game wreckers that Williams and Oliver are capable of being... there was a reason why the Advisory Board didn't give him a 1st round grade last year. You can point to the 17 sacks as proof, but college sacks don't always translate to pro sacks. His projection is more along the lines of Jamie Collins---Anthony Barr---Leonard Floyd than say Myles Garrett---Joey Bosa---Khalil Mack. You can still take that player at 3 and be happy with it, but how sick would you be years from now if Allen is a solid OLB who's piling up 7-12 sacks per year, whereas Williams/Oliver are All-Pro level players who consistently take over games? That's the debate that has likely gone on at One Florham Park throughout the process... 

In respect to Oliver specifically - I don't think they view him as another Leo Williams; I think he's kind of like a JJ Watt/Aaron Donald prospect. While their body types are untraditional and college usage was awkward, they're truly unicorn athletes that don't come around that often. Oliver has the kind of talent, effort, and instincts to play anywhere; kind of like a smaller, more athletic version of Sheldon Richardson. There's no doubt in my mind that the Jets would rotate Oliver outside at DE plenty, whereas Leo would be more isolated to the inside. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

He did say "if you're gonna draft a guy for his defense"

True. But you’d think the HC and GM who have preached offense have a bigger say so than Williams. I think defense is the way we go (not to my excitement) but we should be drafting a guy that fits us, not fits Williams.

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

True. But you’d think the HC and GM who have preached offense have a bigger say so than Williams. I think defense is the way we go (not to my excitement) but we should be drafting a guy that fits us, not fits Williams.

I'm sure the Jets won't pick a player simply because Williams likes him, but I can see everyone being on board with Oliver. Gase may be an offensive coach, but he shares similar values and philosophies with Gregg, and we know Maccagnan is extremely drawn to raw young talent with freakish athletic traits. 

If we truly do go Oliver > Williams, I think it will be less because they think he's the far superior player and more because they highly value his versatility (in turn, making him the better prospect). It honestly wouldn't be that outlandish to pay Oliver as a base DE and move him inside on 3rd downs, not much different than the way the Pats used Flowers. 

Edited by jetskid007