2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

True. But you’d think the HC and GM who have preached offense have a bigger say so than Williams. I think defense is the way we go (not to my excitement) but we should be drafting a guy that fits us, not fits Williams.

Williams is part of our staff, hopefully long term if things work out. Why not give him pieces he can use?

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

When we were on the clock I think the entire forum was screaming for Ingram.

The forum seemed overall sour on Jones and even Mercilus but I think that was from Gholston PTSD.  I liked all 3. Thought Coples wouldn’t even be there honestly. He was getting Julius Peppers comparisons. Those are hilarious now.

Yeah Ingram was the consensus pick for sure. Still can’t believe we passed on him. I must admit I hated the pick although I actually liked Q whenever I seen him interviewed etc. He always seemed like a good guy and when he was a 3-4 DE he looked really promising at times. Beefing up and playing OLB was all wrong though and my fair on him. 

Edited by xenajets

6 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

While I agree with you, I think the reason Allen is lower than say Oliver/Williams is because Allen is a guy whose floor is high but ceiling may not be that much higher, whereas Oliver/Williams ceilings are limitless. Allen is literally the type of EDGE I would create in a lab; he has all the traits you desire in an EDGE rusher. Yes he was very productive this year, but he doesn't necessarily project as the type of game wreckers that Williams and Oliver are capable of being... there was a reason why the Advisory Board didn't give him a 1st round grade last year. You can point to the 17 sacks as proof, but college sacks don't always translate to pro sacks. His projection is more along the lines of Jamie Collins---Anthony Barr---Leonard Floyd than say Myles Garrett---Joey Bosa---Khalil Mack. You can still take that player at 3 and be happy with it, but how sick would you be years from now if Allen is a solid OLB who's piling up 7-12 sacks per year, whereas Williams/Oliver are All-Pro level players who consistently take over games? That's the debate that has likely gone on at One Florham Park throughout the process... 

In respect to Oliver specifically - I don't think they view him as another Leo Williams; I think he's kind of like a JJ Watt/Aaron Donald prospect. While their body types are untraditional and college usage was awkward, they're truly unicorn athletes that don't come around that often. Oliver has the kind of talent, effort, and instincts to play anywhere; kind of like a smaller, more athletic version of Sheldon Richardson. There's no doubt in my mind that the Jets would rotate Oliver outside at DE plenty, whereas Leo would be more isolated to the inside. 

Iv been a vocal member on the forum about my displeasure with how the Jets have been run and the decisions made over Macc’s reign.

Iv congratulated him for the good moves that have been made but overall the drafting has been very poor (not just Macc) but let me say that if the Jets truly believe the talent level of Q/Oliver is superior than Allen and that over the course of their careers will far eclipse the production of Allen then il fully support their decision. 

Fingers crossed we nail the pick and can surround Sam with the team he needs as in a few years we genuinely could be real player in this league.

We’re in position to add a guy who was the consensus #1 pick at some point in time. 

This time last year it was Oliver, after the season it was Bosa and through the process QWill has risen to the top spot. 

We’re fortunate but we can take a guy like Allen as well and be pretty damn fortunate. Any of these 4 I would be happy with even though I have my rankings on them. I’m just glad we’re adding a potentially Elite pass rusher to a growing defense. 

47 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Breer and King are the latest to jump on the Oliver bandwagon

I know you’re a big believer in BPA regardless of need. It’s clear edge is a need for us. Has been for a decade. More than likely one of Allen or Bosa will be there for us. Not reaches at all. So make sense to me the reason for drafting Oliver. I get he’s athletic. But he is not an edge. And I am not drafting a guy at 3 and changing his position that you have 0 tape on. Doesn’t mean he can’t do it, it’s just not smart. So what are we lining up as in sets if he’s drafted? Oliver, Leo, Anderson, Jenkins? For me that’s not nearly as good as Bosa there or Allen at edge.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I know you’re a big believer in BPA regardless of need. It’s clear edge is a need for us. Has been for a decade. More than likely one of Allen or Bosa will be there for us. Not reaches at all. So makes no sense to me the reason for drafting Oliver. I get he’s athletic. But he is not an edge. And I am not drafting a guy at 3 and changing his position that you have 0 tape on. Doesn’t mean he can’t do it, it’s just not smart. So what are we lining up as in sets if he’s drafted? Oliver, Leo, Anderson, Jenkins? For me that’s not nearly as good as Bosa there or Allen at edge.

You answered your own question

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you'd rather Allen or Bosa than Oliver or Q.

I never said such thing nor was that your question. If we were to draft Oliver, he would play all over - including EDGE and DE. 

Forget what I want, the Jets would rather draft the player they perceive to best player available for the next 10 years rather than select a player simply because they fill an immediate need. It's a simple calculation. Forget positional labels, the Jets want someone who can help them disrupt games. If it's a guy who plays EDGE all the better, but they're not going to take a player (Allen) over someone who they perceive to be more talented (Oliver/Williams) simply because of his collegian position. I'm a big fan of Allen, but I don't think he's special. If you're drafting 3, you need to land a special player, and that's how I view Bosa/Williams/Oliver. 

I would say that Bosa > Oliver > Williams > Allen is how the Jets view these players and I don't have an issue with that. People may think Oliver > Williams is crazy, but I can understand why that would be the case: Oliver is not only pound-for-pound the most athletic and dominant player in the draft, he's the least redundant to what we already have along the defensive line. He was used idiotically in college; when he lined up at the 3/5/7 (20% of the time), he was a far better pass rusher than at the 1 or the 0. On the flip side, when Leo lines up at the 0/1, he's been more dominant than when at the 3/5.

Essentially if you draft Oliver you're moving him all over, but he'll play the 3 for the most part. You're using Leo as you're 1, then you're playing Anderson at the 5. It would be ideal to find an upgrade over Jenkins to play the 7, ideally someone with better play speed but I can see the Jets being OK with that alignment for 2019. If they find a replacement later in the draft great, but more likely they'll return to the trade market or free agency in 2020. 

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We’re in position to add a guy who was the consensus #1 pick at some point in time. 

This time last year it was Oliver, after the season it was Bosa and through the process QWill has risen to the top spot. 

We’re fortunate but we can take a guy like Allen as well and be pretty damn fortunate. Any of these 4 I would be happy with even though I have my rankings on them. I’m just glad we’re adding a potentially Elite pass rusher to a growing defense. 

Meh, i only care so much about who the consensus #1 pick was a year ago before anyone actually dug into the player.  I mean.... Matt Barkley was a consensus #1 pick at 1 point.  

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I never said such thing nor was that your question. If we were to draft Oliver, he would play all over - including EDGE and DE. 

Forget what I want, the Jets would rather draft the player they perceive to best player available for the next 10 years rather than select a player simply because they fill an immediate need. It's a simple calculation. Forget positional labels, the Jets want someone who can help them disrupt games. If it's a guy who plays EDGE all the better, but they're not going to take a player (Allen) over someone who they perceive to be more talented (Oliver/Williams) simply because of his collegian position. I'm a big fan of Allen, but I don't think he's special. If you're drafting 3, you need to land a special player, and that's how I view Bosa/Williams/Oliver. 

I would say that Bosa > Oliver > Williams > Allen is how the Jets view these players and I don't have an issue with that. People may think Oliver > Williams is crazy, but I can understand why that would be the case: Oliver is not only pound-for-pound the most athletic and dominant player in the draft, he's the least redundant to what we already have along the defensive line. He was used idiotically in college; when he lined up at the 3/5/7 (20% of the time), he was a far better pass rusher than at the 1 or the 0. On the flip side, when Leo lines up at the 0/1, he's been more dominant than when at the 3/5.

Essentially if you draft Oliver you're moving him all over, but he'll play the 3 for the most part. You're using Leo as you're 1, then you're playing Anderson at the 5. It would be ideal to find an upgrade over Jenkins to play the 7, ideally someone with better play speed but I can see the Jets being OK with that alignment for 2019. If they find a replacement later in the draft great, but more likely they'll return to the trade market or free agency in 2020. 

I get that. And understand your point. But we've done that before and I’d say it didn’t work. Oddly at the same position.

Yeah I don’t want Ed Oliver at 3. I am a big believer of BPA but we are likely to be gifted with a high end and high potential edge rusher at 3 if we don’t trade down and we want to take the 2nd best IDL? Please be smoke screens, please be fooling us all. I beg of you Mac. Could you imagine if both Bosa and Allen are there (I like Bosa slightly more but would still be so pumped with either) and we effing take Ed Oliver?! Having a great interior on the DL is terrific, but those players are very often available in FA. Edge rushers are not. Do the right thing Mac. DO THE RIGHT THING.

All these guys are probably jumping on each other’s rumors. 

Playing devil’s advocate on Oliver. Apparently local scouts said Oliver played closer to 270. He bulked up to 286lbs for the combine. But then was at 281lbs for his pro day. Shouldn’t there be concerns he won’t be able to maintain a weight in the 280’s? 

I know most are disregarding Burns (legit reason btw) because of his weight. Seems like Oliver should have similar concerns. And he is playing a position that is more physical. 

Now Oliver is athletic enough to play edge. But at edge, his athletism is more normal than it is at DT.  

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1