2019 Opponents

Bowler1215

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

SoS based on win/losses doesn't mean anything. Unless in some parallel dimensional way someone can show me that each team will perform the exact same as they did the year before, I put zero stock in this.

Each year we hear about "X team will have the toughest schedule....how will they win X amount of games". Then said team win those games and then we hear "X team only won because they had the easiest schedule in the league".

Agree. If the team is as good as we think, they'll be able to beat good teams, which consequently the Bears did do this year- Seattle, LA, Minnesota twice. For the last decade, the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, etc have had "hard schedules" and every year they're competing. If Nagy continues to grow, Trubisky continues to grow, and Pace finds the right guys, it's going to be fine.

Plus, yes the Bears do play LAR and NO next year, but the Vikings will go to SEA and host CAR. Green Bay will go to SF and host ATL, both of which will be improved.

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Does anyone know how they determine home and away for non-divisional games?

Sucks that the Vikes have to go to LA and KC next year while you guys get them at home.

NFC teams play the same AFC teams every 4 years but the home & away is flipped, so 4 years ago, MIN hosted the Chargers and Chiefs.

Consequently, the Bears went to KC that year and won on a great Cutler drive and also went to SD in primetime and beat the Chargers thanks to a 1 handed Zach Miller TD catch. 

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

NFC teams play the same AFC teams every 4 years but the home & away is flipped, so 4 years ago, MIN hosted the Rams and Chiefs.

Yup.  It also seems like both Bears and Lions play same home/away schedules with AFC opponents as do Vikings and Packers.

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Unfortunately we also have to go to Seattle...again in 2019.

And you'll host Carolina, which isn't an easy game.

This is why these "the Bears schedule is so tough in 2019" takes are insane. If they've really built this the right way, they'll be fine. Steelers, Patriots, Saints, etc get the corresponding place team every year and do just fine.

Even so, Detroit, Minnesota and GB all play the Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys and Eagles next year, and GB will host the Falcons and travel to play the Niners (both teams will be improved a lot) so really, no one in the NFCN has it easy in '19.

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

And you'll host Carolina, which isn't an easy game.

This is why these "the Bears schedule is so tough in 2019" takes are insane. If they've really built this the right way, they'll be fine. Steelers, Patriots, Saints, etc get the corresponding place team every year and do just fine.

Even so, Detroit, Minnesota and GB all play the Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys and Eagles next year, and GB will host the Falcons and travel to play the Niners (both teams will be improved a lot) so really, no one in the NFCN has it easy in '19.

Vikes will host the Falcons, Packers the Panthers.  But yeah neither of those games will be easy.  Those two teams will be improved next year.

Outside of divisional games I see your guys' toughest games as:

Home: Saints, Chiefs, possibly Chargers (played well on the road this year)

Away: Rams and Eagles

When these games are scheduled matters. I think it would benefit you more if the Saints came to town in November or December as opposed to September or October.

I know a lot of Vikings fan were not happy having to go to LA for a Thursday night game and then we had the New England and Seattle back to back on the road in December. Hopefully when the tough games fall is a bit more favorable this year if that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Outside of divisional games I see your guys' toughest games as:

Home: Saints, Chiefs, possibly Chargers (played well on the road this year)

Away: Rams and Eagles

When these games are scheduled matters. I think it would benefit you more if the Saints came to town in November or December as opposed to September or October.

I know a lot of Vikings fan were not happy having to go to LA for a Thursday night game and then we had the New England and Seattle back to back on the road in December. Hopefully when the tough games fall is a bit more favorable this year if that makes sense.

Bears got it pretty bad too this year with the scheduling.  3 games in 11 days and like 85 hours between SNF against the Vikings (flexed) and the Thanksgiving game against the Lions at noon.   Thankfully we won all 3 in that stretch but that's a lot to ask out of any team, especially when considering player safety.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Bears got it pretty bad too this year with the scheduling.  3 games in 11 days and like 85 hours between SNF against the Vikings (flexed) and the Thanksgiving game against the Lions at noon.   Thankfully we won all 3 in that stretch but that's a lot to ask out of any team, especially when considering player safety.

Yup, I'd hate to be in charge of the NFL schedule making. A different topic but I'm in favor of getting rid of TNF even though it won't be happening anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Yup, I'd hate to be in charge of the NFL schedule making. A different topic but I'm in favor of getting rid of TNF even though it won't be happening anytime soon.

TNF is going nowhere, unfortunately, so my solution would be that whoever plays on TNF is coming off of a bye. Period. Start TNF right off of the bat to open the year and don't restart until week 5 (byes start in week 4). There are anywhere from 4-6 byes per week until closer to the end of the year, IIRC, when the final week of byes have 2 byes. They have ~10 days off before the TNF game and then another ~10 days off before the next. That would actually show that they believe in "player safety."

Archived