Who do you think “The Next Guy” will be?

rfournier103

One  of them will be a Pats 2nd RD

Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn------------Freshman Oregon was ( key to Pats evaluation) excelling til hurt, than transferred to Auburn

Ryan Finley, QB, N.C. State -----------Josh can work with his skill set

Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern-----------Wild card of the group. Mechanical. Had some great games however made ( team stunk) big mistakes trying to do to much. Break that habit and you have a QB for the future

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019QB.php

On 1/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, AlNFL19 said:

May I ask why?

Good pocket presence, poise, leadership qualities, athletic background, highly motivated by competition in college at a major athletic program, respected and celebrated by teammates and coaches, handles media and success/obstacles maturely, proven track record as a winner, dynamic option in terms of mobility which is adaptable to the Patriots scheme and aligns with the Patriots commitment to the running game dating back to last years draft. Hurts throws with good velocity generally speaking and consistently seems to execute on the timing/touch passes that require a moderate degree of precision and accuracy. Fantastic footwork and accuracy running to the right; always keeps eyes downfield, checks down and is decisive. Will only be 21 years old in August, (Leo), and has a body frame capable of adding weight if necessary without compromising any athleticism. No injury history, highest level of competition and expectations throughout career, and has shown resilience as well as progression in his development since joining the Crimson Tide. Exponentially tougher mentally than almost any prospect I think there is in the next two draft classes at quarterback. The Alabama/Nick Saban link with Bill Belichick helps immeasurably in this prediction plus Hurts' value could be right in line with what the Patriots are thinking of investing into the quarterback position, (a la not trading up for Baker Mayfield first overall in 2018). Would seem to be a surprise pick at this point so I think that is intriguing as far as predictions go right now. I really think Hurts would learn under Brady or be asked to do less as starter if Brady is hurt/retired/elsewhere next season.

20 hours ago, m haynes said:

Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn------------Freshman Oregon was ( key to Pats evaluation) excelling til hurt, than transferred to Auburn

Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern-----------Wild card of the group. Mechanical. Had some great games however made ( team stunk) big mistakes trying to do to much. Break that habit and you have a QB for the future

At this point, I don't think Finley will amount to much in the NFL. He's 25 but he's still not super accurate or strong-armed, and his reads can break down fairly commonly.

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think of Kyler Murray? I've seen like four or five mock drafts today with Murray to the Pats. I don't know. I think he's probably too small (scouts say he's closer to 5'8" than 5'11" and he only ways 195 lbs) but he's obviously a very talented passer. He'll probably go too early anyway.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Kyler Murray? pass.

Why support Hurts as a Patriots option and not Murray? Is it just stature? Is it the "intangibles," much of which you really can't get a great sense of yet? I think it's pretty clear to me that Murray is the better passer, and the better athlete.

I feel like with Brady's window getting smaller and smaller, their draft focus may not be so much who is the best player left, but who can immediately help the team win now.  Unless a QB projected to be drafted late really wows them, I see them signing someone rather than drafting during the 2019 off season.

15 hours ago, areksoo said:

I feel like with Brady's window getting smaller and smaller, their draft focus may not be so much who is the best player left, but who can immediately help the team win now.  Unless a QB projected to be drafted late really wows them, I see them signing someone rather than drafting during the 2019 off season.

I feel like he has 1 more season (2019) left. I agree about your point that we will draft players who can help immediately. 

On 1/18/2019 at 9:34 PM, SBLIII said:

Murray is a freak though. I think he could be a great QB.

meh

On 1/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, AlNFL19 said:

Why support Hurts as a Patriots option and not Murray? Is it just stature? Is it the "intangibles," much of which you really can't get a great sense of yet? I think it's pretty clear to me that Murray is the better passer, and the better athlete.

stature, intangibles, and talent. Fundamentally Jalen Hurts is better all the way around. Better coached, better prepared, just better. Hurts 2020 or bust.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, m haynes said:

OK    Watching the QB at SR Bowl  They are fringe players at best ALL of them. Duke Jones is slow with every thing  but running. Slow reads, moves and natural throwing motion is slow.  IMO stinks waste of a draft pick.

Drew Lock  Has natural ability can play is wild as heck a  true gunslinger. If he's  teachable and you can rein him in, you could have something. But you are asking a lot to control him. Wild.

Finley , he has everything but arm strength . I swear , he can't break glass. I'm not so sure he will have the arm skills at the next level.  He will be in the NFL for years!

Archived