BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

I was planning on making this post later, but I think now is a good time.

I do want to address the general attitude here of late.  We are all very different people who view different players in different ways.  That's one of the things that makes BDL so enjoyable.  I have learned a ton more about players, schemes, and football in general since I joined BDL.

However, certain trends have become quite concerning.  Threatening to quit, personal attacks, talking down to other owners, and general temper tantrums have become far too prevalent.  We have all been frustrated at times, but we need to remember that we all joined this league to enjoy football in a new way.  And these trends detract from the fun that this league is supposed to bring.

I am not saying that we should not have healthy debate about players, schemes, gameplans, draft picks, etc.  I love those debates and I usually learn something from them.  However, I would ask that we all remember that the main purpose of the league is to have fun.  There is no need for certain behaviors to be used as a tool to upset others.  

If this continues, I am very concerned about the long term viability of BDL as it will keep current owners from wanting to participate for fear of backlash, it will cause current owners from wanting to continue because they are no longer enjoying BDL, and it will keep new people from wanting to join and participate.

As we go into the offseason, I would ask everyone, myself included, to remember why we all signed up for this gloriously dysfunctional league and to try a little harder to act in a manner that creates a more enjoyable environment for everyone involved, not a less enjoyable one.  I don't think any major changes need to be made, just a small change in how we talk to each other.   We can all do a little better.

• Like 6

Trade Block

Hopkins- Two Picks (at least one must be a first this year,2020, or 2021) and two starter level players at CB,RB,QB,WR,TE. Or Three Picks (one must be a first like said before) and one starter level player. (Picks required other than first will depend on how good the players are being offered and their contracts)

Jarrad Davis- Starter comparable at CB,WR 

Andrew Norwell- 3rd or comparable player 

Charles Leno Jr.- 3rd or comparable player 

Nate Solder- Starter at CB,WR

Cam Jordan- 1st and Starter at CB,WR

Trumaine Johnson- 3rd or comparable player

DJ Reader- 6th or comparable player

Jayon Brown- 4th or comparable player

Taven Bryan- 3rd

Edited by Counselor
  • Like 1

The one thing I would ask...I know some people have had issues with other owners in the past whether it be reasoning for voting, behavior in thread, or trade talks.  I'd ask everyone to give everyone else a clean slate.  No grudges or holding on to past annoyances.

If you enjoy BDL and want to keep it going strong for years to come, then you should have no issues doing this.  

15 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The one thing I would ask...I know some people have had issues with other owners in the past whether it be reasoning for voting, behavior in thread, or trade talks.  I'd ask everyone to give everyone else a clean slate.  No grudges or holding on to past annoyances.

If you enjoy BDL and want to keep it going strong for years to come, then you should have no issues doing this.  

Sigh guess I gotta delete the screencaps of your drunk love confession of that cactus then. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

So I think we seriously need to do some talking here. The amount of pouting and quitting and/or threatening to quit for whatever reason has gotten out of hand. Hell, the champ game runner up threatened to quit during a tie game and only 6 people had voted. 

Do we dissolve the team or ask someone to take over a team that just traded their biggest asset? 

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

I was planning on making this post later, but I think now is a good time.

I do want to address the general attitude here of late.  We are all very different people who view different players in different ways.  That's one of the things that makes BDL so enjoyable.  I have learned a ton more about players, schemes, and football in general since I joined BDL.

However, certain trends have become quite concerning.  Threatening to quit, personal attacks, talking down to other owners, and general temper tantrums have become far too prevalent.  We have all been frustrated at times, but we need to remember that we all joined this league to enjoy football in a new way.  And these trends detract from the fun that this league is supposed to bring.

I am not saying that we should not have healthy debate about players, schemes, gameplans, draft picks, etc.  I love those debates and I usually learn something from them.  However, I would ask that we all remember that the main purpose of the league is to have fun.  There is no need for certain behaviors to be used as a tool to upset others.  

If this continues, I am very concerned about the long term viability of BDL as it will keep current owners from wanting to participate for fear of backlash, it will cause current owners from wanting to continue because they are no longer enjoying BDL, and it will keep new people from wanting to join and participate.

As we go into the offseason, I would ask everyone, myself included, to remember why we all signed up for this gloriously dysfunctional league and to try a little harder to act in a manner that creates a more enjoyable environment for everyone involved, not a less enjoyable one.  I don't think any major changes need to be made, just a small change in how we talk to each other.   We can all do a little better.

I figure it best to say something now than wait.  I was really hoping to avoid this conversation until after the winter meeting, but it doesn't look like that meeting is going to take place and didn't wanna put you guys in a situation where you've having to find someone after the summer meeting, should the schedule not get significantly reduced.

I said it before and will say it again, what you guys have created is really fun, however, once BDL started running into the holidays it quickly before a chore.  I was dealing with family stuff but my feelings about the length of the season was taking place well before this.  

I know a lot of you don't see the need to make any changes but I know for a fact I wouldn't be having this conversation if the bdl season ended in Nov.  I can't even say that it was the holidays so much as just getting burnt out in Nov.  If the majority, prefers the long season I completely understand and will attempt to find a replacement for Orlando.  I would like to remain the owner throughout the offseason, at least the draft.  So, I'm hoping you don't decide to dissolve the team and if that is the plan let me know as negotiating trades and planning for this teams future would be pointless. 

I think this sim has tons of potential and is the best sim in this forum as of right now, I just think shortening the season would make it much more enjoyable, would boost retention and quite possibly encourage more forum members to join.  I really hope that you all will take the time to consider shortening the season, but if you don't view it as an issue I respect your decision.

I think a healthy discussion on ways to better retention is needed and I hope that it happens sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

If the majority, prefers the long season I completely understand and will attempt to find a replacement for Orlando.

So if we don't shorten the season you're out, is what you're saying?

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

So if we don't shorten the season you're out, is what you're saying?

Yea, I'd still like to manage the team throughout the offseason, while you look for a replacement.  I don't think that is asking for too much, considering the amount of time I've put into the season and the workbooks.

Yes, a shorter season for me would be more appealing.  Not trying to make it as cut and dry as you stated.  Certainly not trying to make this a "if I don't get my way I'm quitting", I've given this a ton of thought and I don't wanna go through another season that cuts into the holidays especially with all the issues that took place during that time.  If it was remotely, "I quit if I don't get what I want", I'd never have spent the amount of time that I did building the workbooks.

As for the workbooks, regardless what direction this goes I'm committed 100% to providing you the workbooks, assisting everyone with the workbooks this year and the years following.  I wanna make that clear.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Yea

6 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Certainly not trying to make this a "if I don't get my way I'm quitting",

....I mean.... it sounds that way.

It's ok. The season is too long for you. 

Just put a word limit on gameplans - like 300 words or something. Lets face it, the fun is in building a roster with an identity and tracking your guys, not tedious deadlines to have a gameplan in which realistically is just shilling our guys or saying who is gonna be on who etc.

• Like 4