BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

3 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

It never happened, but we can do it if necessary yes

Yea I don't think that's a thing. I remember Footy proposing cutting guys and keeping track of debt for multiple years and it was balked at time after time, because it in fact would be a massive headache. 

Doesn't anyone else remember this? @SirA1 @Ragnarok @bcb1213

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not trying to be snide here so forgive me if I come across that way but we don't because we are too lazy despite that being the rule or we don't because people are not interpreting the rule that way?

Don't listen to Xmad.

If someone cut a player with 2+ years of contract then yes we will track the dead money across the years. Roster sheet has a feature to do it. 

That being said it never happened because simply it's not a good option for an owner. When in need of roster space (which happened once or twice and in season) , owners cut players on 1 year deals to not have a burden next year. In the 6 years I've been in BDL, the case never happened once. But if it does yes we will track it.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Yea I don't think that's a thing. I remember Footy proposing cutting guys and keeping track of debt for multiple years and it was balked at time after time, because it in fact would be a massive headache. 

Basically and I'm not going to get into detail in my specific wording of it basically my proposal which has already been sent to SirA, proposes being able to cut a guy on a one-year contract with a reduced dead cap cost so you wouldn't cut his money off of your cap completely but it would cost you less to cut him. Also made an additional proposal completely separate from that they would allow you to cut a guy on a multi-year contract at a reduced amount of the total contract they would all be escalated into one year and you would have to still pay a portion of it in dead money but it wouldn't be the entire 100% of the contract.

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

The footsy thing was someone else if I remember correctly.

He cut a bunch of 1 year deals, included Shark Tank / Waivers signing he made earlier (hence locked players). 

1 minute ago, TedLavie said:

Don't listen to Xmad.

If someone cut a player with 2+ years of contract then yes we will track the dead money across the years. Roster sheet has a feature to do it. 

That being said it never happened because simply it's not a good option for an owner. When in need of roster space (which happened once or twice and in season) , owners cut players on 1 year deals to not have a burden next year. In the 6 years I've been in BDL, the case never happened once. But if it does yes we will track it.

Because it would absolutely be a headache and I don't see the point in doing it. Honestly if you don't want the guy on your roster for one season and they're willing to just bite the bullet on the dead cap you're probably not willing to cut him if he's on more than one season and bite the bullet year after year because the entire point is you don't want the money on your roster. But right now there's no option available to actually eliminate that money unless it's a player it's $500 or less or hasn't played football in an entire year or you can actually find a trade which honestly from my experience here seems next to Impossible

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Basically and I'm not going to get into detail in my specific wording of it basically my proposal which has already been sent to SirA, proposes being able to cut a guy on a one-year contract with a reduced dead cap cost so you wouldn't cut his money off of your cap completely but it would cost you less to cut him. Also made an additional proposal completely separate from that they would allow you to cut a guy on a multi-year contract at a reduced amount of the total contract they would all be escalated into one year and you would have to still pay a portion of it in dead money but it wouldn't be the entire 100% of the contract.

Give it a season or two when you are able to build your team your way and you won’t have as much issue with this. Unless you make bad decisions and put yourself in a hole which at that point it’s all on you.

4 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Don't listen to Xmad.

I'm not saying we can't track it, I'm saying you shouldn't (Don't?) have that option. 

Just now, Counselor said:

Give it a season or two when you are able to build your team your way and you won’t have as much issue with this. Unless you make bad decisions and put yourself in a hole which at that point it’s all on you.

I agree that if I'm the one doing it that it is all on me people are going to talk about the first round pick I traded to Hawaii but the guy that I took ended up being a real life top 10 draft pick and yes the offensive guard that I took fell much further but this dude has the ability to be a perennial Pro Bowl player.

My point however is that as a new owner coming in options do not exist that allow you to efficiently build a team or even rebuild a team and you can point to the ability to trade if you want to but I think you're being naive if you think that trading in this league is easy because it's as far from as it could get. SO trading players is not a reliable option for building a team.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Because it would absolutely be a headache and I don't see the point in doing it. Honestly if you don't want the guy on your roster for one season and they're willing to just bite the bullet on the dead cap you're probably not willing to cut him if he's on more than one season and bite the bullet year after year because the entire point is you don't want the money on your roster. But right now there's no option available to actually eliminate that money unless it's a player it's $500 or less or hasn't played football in an entire year or you can actually find a trade which honestly from my experience here seems next to Impossible

you also have 3 3 downs every year. You can also double down players to reduce the length of the contract. Honestly you have a lot of options in each offseason. I think most of us (and I know you're a weird case because what you came into with Sydney roster) have little complaints about it.

But you're certainly entitled to make a proposal in Owner's meeting that we would discuss then

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I agree that if I'm the one doing it that it is all on me people are going to talk about the first round pick I traded to Hawaii but the guy that I took ended up being a real life top 10 draft pick and yes the offensive guard that I took fell much further but this dude has the ability to be a perennial Pro Bowl player.

My point however is that as a new owner coming in options do not exist that allow you to efficiently build a team or even rebuild a team and you can point to the ability to trade if you want to but I think you're being naive if you think that trading in this league is easy because it's as far from as it could get. SO trading players is not a reliable option for building a team.

I’ve traded almost every player I’ve wanted to trade. It’s how much work you put in seeking out deals. So it can be done if you are skilled. Nothing naive about it. 

7 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Don't listen to Xmad.

No, no we won't.   We are not making up rules on the fly.   If you all want to to propose it, then we can can vote for on it,l it passes then absolutely.  But for now, no 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Thank you for proving the point that I made above

Because you are offering me three overpriced players for one cuttable player? It’s how you work the deal. Might not be exactly how you want at first but if you maneuver effectively you can get it done. And if I’m not the Gm it gets done with there are 14 others.