BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Should a player retire at any point in time in real life, BDL  will mirror the individuals IRL status; regardless of the player’s status within the league.  In the event that a player is reinstated, from retirement, suspension or by other means, BDL must have proof of this information from a reputable site such as nfl.com.  Articles from ESPN, SBNation and the likes will not be accepted.  A player simply filing or discussing publicly isn’t sufficient enough.

Just stop.  You have to wait a couple weeks to clear him.  

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

I have to hand it to you, @WFLukic . You throughly outcoached me with a great gameplan. Also had a very talented team. Congrats for your victory.

It was a fortunate win because of some untimely injuries on your side. Pleasure competing against you and your team was a great team certainly worthy of being in the bizzbowl.

I look forward to our next match in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Also allow me to make very clear. If my intent here was to simply defy the rule, I wouldve already listed him as a cut in the Transactions threat with a big middle finger GIF.

That's not my intent here. Just like I did the other night, I've created a relevant dialogue. As quick as the same guys are to dismiss things, as usual, the arguement I just made is relevant. It specifically points on the direct contradictions that exist in the rule and the fact that the IRL criteria actually supports Baldwin being eligible to be cut in BDL according to the current wording of said rule.

You're acting like I'm attempting to open up cap space to afford some monster 3 up or make some dynamic trade...I'm actually trying to open up space to be able to double down a guy I shouldnt have to keep anyway at his price tag considering I acquired him via the only available team in the league.

The easy, cop out response is "use a 3D" ...except he is on a freaking 2 year contract right now. I have no problem accepting that reality for guys I willfully signed in last years Free Agency but for a guy I legitimately inherited and who spent all year on IR...

Its ludicrous and not one person here can honestly, with an ounce of integrity, say it isnt, not with a straight face. 

Furthermore I didnt create the rule or the obvious loophole that exists in it, I'm just pointing it out. Your welcome

A couple things and please don't think I'm picking on you.  

The retirement rule that you guys are using here was a copy & paste from my tcmd guidelines, which is a mock draft that strictly deals with the current offseason and not a dynasty league that this rule is making it impossible to unload him without using a 3 down.  I'm sure it's why whomever you acquired him from was all too happy to include him in the trade, whatever that was.  I created that rule in tcmd because of the speculated volume of players that were retiring or being reinstated.  It's rampant during the offseason, you all know that, especially when an aging vet coming off injury making 30 million with 20 of it fully-guaranteed and you just are praying he retires and the opinion based papers is talking up the idea. It made sense to have that rule in place but not so much here.  Sure you wanna make sure he's actually retiring but with this system you have in place the rule makes it extremely difficult to work with.  Something as simple as keeping 25% of the contract essentially creating a signing bonus that allows him to at least unload a partition of the contract would be helpful.      

With Doug Baldwin, we all know he's retired he just hasn't officially declared and maybe that's his way of mentally staying young by not saying he's retired, or he hasn't done it because it would require him to return some of the guaranteed money.  Hard to say for certain why he hasn't officially filed the paperwork.  If anyone should be on the hook for the contract it should be the team that signed him, whichever bdl team that was just like irl.  Regardless it's just bad business to even allow these guys to get traded in bdl in the first place.  It's a jank rule imo, that allows one team to screw over another so badly by unloading the entire contract term without any penalty whatsoever.  Especially when it's a veteran member unloading a disaster of a contract to a newbie, knowing full well exactly what he's giving him.  You're just basically taking advantage of a rookie member that doesn't quite understand just how important or hurtful acquiring these types of contracts are because of how difficult and valuable 3up/downs are.  These types of transactions ultimately hurt bdl retention imo as I could see how @wwhickok would feel cheated or at the very least slighted at this point in the season.  Even though he made the transaction, do you think he fully understood what he was taking on when he accepted that deal?  Did any of the trade counsel advise him how horrible it would be making that trade?  $6,085 for 4 years....jesus christ.  Well guaranteed he's feeling it now as he's looking at the future of his team and finding out just how that transaction has damaged his cap.  Again, shouldn't even be allowed to make these types of transactions but rather than creating a structure to make it a little easier to release players, you just create a rule that allows the veterans to dump these guys in the laps of new guys.....SHAME....lol.

LOL...I just looked up the trade and it was team Lancaster...LOL...you go @rackcs...haha.

Not sure how long Racks has been involved in bdl but unloading Baldwin to @wwhickok, whom I'm sure at the time was just dying to just make a trade, should be criminal.  Someone from the counsel should have informed him of what he was getting in that deal.  Pretty sad that I didn't even know the team had Baldwin on the roster when I managed it.  

This was the trade.

WSR Trades
OG Cody Whitehair
S Von Bell
2021 6th

Lancaster Trades
2020 3rd (CAR) 
2021 4th Rd Pick (WSR)
2020 5th (CAR)
WR Doug Baldwin

Edited by ny92mike

17 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

He can be 1 year cut on 31 Dec...

My point is that these types of trades should be looked at a little closer, rather than just looking at them as a player dump that lands in the hands of a novice member.  I don't have a team so it really doesn't matter one way or the other to me at that level.  I do think creating a better system for cap management would boost retention and that's really all I care about, which not being a mod I shouldn't care one way or the other, but the success of this forum does benefit the work I do with tcmd, so on that level retention is important.