BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

1 minute ago, PR said:

You must really like AJ

No I'm just countering your aggressiveness towards him. Mainly because of how far you're taking the narratives you've read overboard. 

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 1

Just now, Jlash said:

No I'm just countering your aggressiveness towards him. Mainly because of how far you're taking the narratives you've read overboard. 

I guess I don't see what I'm say as aggression but just stating my opinion. I actually have watched his game tape and other WRs in the draft as well. He is tough and can fight for the ball and can break tackles for that YAC but he isnt elite. He isnt going to be a game breaker ala Evans, Beckham Jr., Jones. or Antonio.

Just now, PR said:

He isnt going to be a game breaker ala Evans, Beckham Jr., Jones. or Antonio

And again, no one has said he's going to be a top 3-5 WR in the league. whicker put him at 5 in his mock based on what he already explained as valuing players differently in this league. 

5 minutes ago, Jlash said:

And again, no one has said he's going to be a top 3-5 WR in the league. whicker put him at 5 in his mock based on what he already explained as valuing players differently in this league. 

I understand this. I just dont know why I cant make critiques without a critique from you in response. I don't see you actually disagreeing with anything except you criticized my research of Brown.

Edited by PR

4 minutes ago, PR said:

I understand this. I just dont know why I cant make critiques without a critique from you in response. I don't see you actually disagreeing with anything except you criticized my research of Brown.

"Way overhyped and already has difficult getting separation"

I've already explained how I don't think he's overhyped, because only 1 person I've seen in recent memory counted him as highly as you're critiquing him and that's Whicker. So he's 'overhyped' to1 person.

And 'already has difficulty getting separation' just doesn't add up if you've actually watched him play. He's not a pure burner, and he's going to be a possession WR at the next level who can muscle out big chunk plays but in his college career he's separated just fine.

Edited by Jlash

5 hours ago, Whicker said:

You know what I'm going to post the first 5 picks of my perfect mock draft just to give @Jlash, @Counselor, and @MD4L more things to make fun of me for.

This is my perfect mock draft. It's perfect because it is what I, Whicker, would pick for each of these spots based on my philosophy on how to win in BDL.

#1 - Louisiana - D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

As Ted has stated (of which I strongly agree), stud WRs are the most valuable assets in BDL. When voting on BDL matches, outside of an extreme weekly performance (in either direction), many QBs get grouped into a similar tier of "good enough." I feel that this is both some what conscious because many of us don't want to be like "oh Matt Ryan is significantly better than Kirk Cousins so a Matt Ryan team will win," and subconscious in that it's difficult to actually separate QBs from their real life situations. Once we check off the "good enough" box for both teams, for whatever reason, the next step isn't edge/LT. It's WR/CB. How can your weapons beat your opponent's defenders? How much will this elevate QB play? These are the most important questions voters ask when voting on games IMO.

WRs get favored over CBs based on ease of evaluation and the state of offense in football in general. The select few WRs who can beat every CB are the true game changers in BDL. The ones that force 1 on 1s because your opponent is assigning a good CB AND a safety to your dude AND still get voter points for production. There's only one player in this draft that can be that type of player. Yeah, injury history and all that (you know, cause busting is unique to Metcalf), but I'm Louisiana. I've got 2 more picks in the top 4 and I'm a regular contender through free agency. I don't know if it's a 20% or 30% or 50% or 70% chance that I can get Calvin Johnson-esque play out of this pick, but that's still greater than every other prospect and an upside that is very very rarely available.

#2 - Berlin - Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma

So if I'm Berlin here I'm in an interesting spot. I just acquired Brady which puts me into win now mode. However, as we've seen with Louisiana's recent seasons, you don't really need a ton to win with Brady, who is pretty much on a tier of his own right now. Berlin's offense is built very similarly to Louisiana's offense at this point last year. Louisiana's O-line was arguably pretty bad this year, but Brady really nullifies weaknesses on the offensive line (he does this in real life so not a complaint). Berlin has its Michael Thomas in Tyreek Hill, its Zach Ertz in Trey Burton, and its many breakout candidates that could easily match Lockett or Watkins. On defense, Berlin needs secondary help, but it can likely dip into free agency here and easily come away with a decent enough group to compete with its likely one year of Brady.

In a lot of ways I would try to find a way to trade down for someone who really wanted Bosa or Allen. However, this is not the place for trades. So what do I do? I've been plagued by poor QB play for years, and Brady's transcendent play for a year (or two) can give me two (or three) drafts to find the QB I need beyond Brady's career. QB is a position that you can't settle on. You can't trade back and hope one of the top X QBs fall. You've got to take the one you like, and I think Kyler is easily the best QB in this draft.

#3 and #4 - Louisiana - Josh Allen, edge, Kentucky and Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

The WR/CB matchup is the most important 1 on 1 in BDL, but the OT/Edge is next on the list. Louisiana is stacked at CB and is likely set there for the next couple of years. With the selection of Metcalf, their WR situation is similarly great, and there will be other spots in the draft to hedge my bets at pass catcher if I really desire.

Brady isn't on this team anymore and that'll immediately expose a weakness at tackle and Jonah Williams is the best bet to step in and fill that role. Left tackles are a rarity in free agency in BDL and so this likely presents the best opportunity at one.

Louisiana has Dee Ford on the edge, but you need two pass rushers to have a good pass rush in BDL. It's easy to scheme in TE chips, line slides, RB help, etc to take your one big guy out of the game. Josh Allen, IMO, is the best edge prospect in this class.

#5 - Wichita - AJ Brown, Ole Miss

Wichita's WR situation is simply awful and, quite frankly, you're not winning in this league without at least one "WR1." If I'm Wichita, I'm looking to rebuild my WR corps in this draft and put my franchise QB in a position to succeed. I'm using one of my top two picks on a WR. I saw my top target get taken early and I see Anchorage, who just traded away DeAndre Hopkins, immediately after me. I take the safe WR1 prospect here and look at my #7 pick to pick up one of the defenders who's falling.

Lucky for you all I hit my limit early so I'm going to hammer out a few more picks.

#6 - Anchorage - Andraez "Greedy" Williams, CB, LSU

If I'm Anchorage I certainly have to take a pause after Wichita grabs AJ Brown at #5. I just traded away DeAndre Hopkins and Aaron Rodgers and came into this draft with the plans of restocking my offense for the future. Unfortunately, the value is starting to get a bit icky with Metcalf, Murray, Williams, and Brown all gone.

So my first decision point comes with Kirk Cousins. Can Kirk Cousins, if I do enough with him, do enough to win a BDL championship? If the answer is no, do I like Haskins enough to take him here? I decide, however, that Kirk Cousins can win a BizzBowl if given the support.

This team has a strong edge duo in Cameron Jordan and Trey Flowers, and I believe that those players can be productive for a couple more years at the least. Counselor recently cultivated the interior of the line with the acquisitions of Jarran Reed and Vita Vea, and I want to see those mature. Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams are starting to look good value wise, but they'd be semi-wasted on a group with a strong foundation already at D-line. So, I'm looking at the top two non-D-line players: Greedy and Devin White. Anchorage suffered through serious corner issues last year and CB is the much more valuable position, so Greedy is the easy choice between the two.

#7 - Wichita - Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

After getting the urgent need of a WR1 prospect out of the way, it's time to take a quick evaluation of where I'm at if I'm Wichita. I certainly have a QB I believe in and an RB that I've already invested a high draft pick and am committing a decent salary to. I've currently got to address the interior of my offensive line as well, but this is a little high to be committing to an interior O-lineman that's not Quenton Nelson.

My defense is pretty good already, but it's on the older side with Kuechly, Talib, Smith, and Graham all nearing the end of their careers. I could see a reasoning behind picking nearly every position on defense as well as for leaving them alone for the year. This frees me up to take who I believe is the best overall defensive player left on the board.

#8 - Gotham - Nick Bosa, Edge, The Ohio State

Strategy wise, I'm torn between three prospects here if I'm Gotham. I'm in a dire situation with my pass catchers with really only one player, Jarvis Landry, who I feel comfortable rolling out this coming season. I would be hoping to land either Metcalf or Brown, but in this spot, I believe Hockenson is the best pass catcher available and he's a consideration.

I'm also torn between Devin White and Nick Bosa, as they both address needs on my defense. Gotham has been plagued by edge issues for as long as I can remember, and he is certainly the best player among these three in the best position. He's the pick.

#9 - Camden - Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida

If I'm Camden I'm committed to Lamar Jackson and, with the acquisition of DeAndre Hopkins, I'm ready to see just how far Jackson can take me.

Devin White is a consideration here, potentially giving me the best young LB duo in the league. That, however, seems close to a luxury as my defense is already very strong from top to bottom. I'm a veteran LB signing away from receiving the same treatment from voters. What I'm really looking to do is make sure I can convince people that Lamar is a QB that is on that "good enough" level. I'm taking a look at my O-line and I see it as the weakness of this offense. I like my RBs. I've got an elite WR. I've got complementary WRs and an acceptable TE. I'm going to address the offensive line in this draft if I'm Camden, and of course it has got to start with a T.

#10 - Ivory Coast - Devin White, LB, LSU

I'm trying to trade down from this pick if I'm Ivory Coast, as they are in a very good spot. They have a strong roster, but they could use a lot of youth and depth. The most pressing needs here are TE, LB, S, G, and I could see RT as well. The holes at TE, LB, and G, though, can easily be plugged through free agency for a win-now season, and their need at S is more from the most desperate need of a infusion of youth.

If I can't trade down I'm pretty much in BPA mode here, and I think Devin White fits that criterion along with filling a need.

Edited by Whicker
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Lucky for you all I hit my limit early so I'm going to hammer out a few more picks.

#6 - Anchorage - Andraez "Greedy" Williams, CB, LSU

If I'm Anchorage I certainly have to take a pause after Wichita grabs AJ Brown at #5. I just traded away DeAndre Hopkins and Aaron Rodgers and came into this draft with the plans of restocking my offense for the future. Unfortunately, the value is starting to get a bit icky with Metcalf, Murray, Williams, and Brown all gone.

So my first decision point comes with Kirk Cousins. Can Kirk Cousins, if I do enough with him, do enough to win a BDL championship? If the answer is no, do I like Haskins enough to take him here? I decide, however, that Kirk Cousins can win a BizzBowl if given the support.

This team has a strong edge duo in Cameron Jordan and Trey Flowers, and I believe that those players can be productive for a couple more years at the least. Counselor recently cultivated the interior of the line with the acquisitions of Jarran Reed and Vita Vea, and I want to see those mature. Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams are starting to look good value wise, but they'd be semi-wasted on a group with a strong foundation already at D-line. So, I'm looking at the top two non-D-line players: Greedy and Devin White. Anchorage suffered through serious corner issues last year and CB is the much more valuable position, so Greedy is the easy choice between the two.

#7 - Wichita - Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

After getting the urgent need of a WR1 prospect out of the way, it's time to take a quick evaluation of where I'm at if I'm Wichita. I certainly have a QB I believe in and an RB that I've already invested a high draft pick and am committing a decent salary to. I've currently got to address the interior of my offensive line as well, but this is a little high to be committing to an interior O-lineman that's not Quenton Nelson.

My defense is pretty good already, but it's on the older side with Kuechly, Talib, Smith, and Graham all nearing the end of their careers. I could see a reasoning behind picking nearly every position on defense as well as for leaving them alone for the year. This frees me up to take who I believe is the best overall defensive player left on the board.

#8 - Gotham - Nick Bosa, Edge, The Ohio State

Strategy wise, I'm torn between three prospects here if I'm Gotham. I'm in a dire situation with my pass catchers with really only one player, Jarvis Landry, who I feel comfortable rolling out this coming season. I would be hoping to land either Metcalf or Brown, but in this spot, I believe Hockenson is the best pass catcher available and he's a consideration.

I'm also torn between Devin White and Nick Bosa, as they both address needs on my defense. Gotham has been plagued by edge issues for as long as I can remember, and he is certainly the best player among these three in the best position. He's the pick.

#9 - Camden - Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida

If I'm Camden I'm committed to Lamar Jackson and, with the acquisition of DeAndre Hopkins, I'm ready to see just how far Jackson can take me.

Devin White is a consideration here, potentially giving me the best young LB duo in the league. That, however, seems close to a luxury as my defense is already very strong from top to bottom. I'm a veteran LB signing away from receiving the same treatment from voters. What I'm really looking to do is make sure I can convince people that Lamar is a QB that is on that "good enough" level. I'm taking a look at my O-line and I see it as the weakness of this offense. I like my RBs. I've got an elite WR. I've got complementary WRs and an acceptable TE. I'm going to address the offensive line in this draft if I'm Camden, and of course it has got to start with a T.

#10 - Ivory Coast - Devin White, LB, LSU

I'm trying to trade down from this pick if I'm Ivory Coast, as they are in a very good spot. They have a strong roster, but they could use a lot of youth and depth. The most pressing needs here are TE, LB, S, G, and I could see RT as well. The holes at TE, LB, and G, though, can easily be plugged through free agency for a win-now season, and their need at S is more from the most desperate need of a infusion of youth.

If I can't trade down I'm pretty much in BPA mode here, and I think Devin White fits that criterion along with filling a need.

Whicker. Name my defensiveline if I drafted Williams.