BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with that as well honestly. I mean if you really think about the guys even in recent drafts that have been taken that are truly the top quarterbacks and I'm not talking about guys they were necessarily taken in the first round of the guys that you see develop and play in the NFL they were really the best quarterbacks when you go back and look at who they played with I feel like and maybe I'm wrong here because I'm not cross checking this statement at the moment but I feel like when you look at the wide receivers that they might have played with that are in the NFL did not necessarily at the top of the list of success

There's exceptions to every rule of course 

Stafford Julio, I think?, comes to mind early 

• Like 1

Just now, MD4L said:

Using that logic is there any school that is active with multiple quality QBs? Cal is the first program that comes to mind.

You're not wrong and yeah Cal definitely comes to mind. I mean let's be honest a lot of it perhaps comes down to ability to learn and intelligence

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I think part of the reason that we don't see more success out of Alabama quarterbacks is because really it's not what their offense is about. They have a good passing game but they are all run first team.

So is Clemson.  It's only recently that the shotgun spread system QBs have taken off in the NFL.

Just now, wwhickok said:

I agree with that as well honestly. I mean if you really think about the guys even in recent drafts that have been taken that are truly the top quarterbacks and I'm not talking about guys they were necessarily taken in the first round of the guys that you see develop and play in the NFL they were really the best quarterbacks when you go back and look at who they played with I feel like and maybe I'm wrong here because I'm not cross checking this statement at the moment but I feel like when you look at the wide receivers that they might have played with that are in the NFL did not necessarily at the top of the list of success

I disagree.  Look at the level of talent they had in college, not just WR, but OL/TE and RB.  Wentz had a championship team.  Luck had a ton of talent.  Watson did.  Baker did.  

I think this point holds better with QBs of the Rivers, Ryan, Rodgers, Brees era than today.  

Just now, Ragnarok said:

So is Clemson.  It's only recently that the shotgun spread system QBs have taken off in the NFL.

I disagree.  Look at the level of talent they had in college, not just WR, but OL/TE and RB.  Wentz had a championship team.  Luck had a ton of talent.  Watson did.  Baker did.  

I think this point holds better with QBs of the Rivers, Ryan, Rodgers, Brees era than today.  

Yeah like I said I wasn't really cross-checking so I wasn't sure how I could that statement was he just meant to lie seemed like that but I agree if you go back to that previous era what I said was much more true I agree with that

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

How many nfl players did Wentz have.  Cmon man 

We'll see with baker and Watson down the road 

Luck had tight ends?   No wr I recall off hand 

Edited by bcb1213

Honestly furthermore to sort of step away from quarterback for a second if you really think about it running back is really become even more than it ever has been before I really hit or miss position because the NFL and even call it football has really evolved into a heavy pass offense sport that I feel like there's not as much development when it comes to running backs and it might not even be so much not enough development but maybe not enough opportunity

Just now, wwhickok said:

Yeah like I said I wasn't really cross-checking so I wasn't sure how I could that statement was he just meant to lie seemed like that but I agree if you go back to that previous era what I said was much more true I agree with that

Fair enough.  

Just now, bcb1213 said:

How many nfl players did Wentz have.  Cmon man 

He played on a two-time championship team in division 2.  The talent around him was better than the guys they were playing.  And even if you remove him, the trend is going the other way.  

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Fair enough.  

He played on a two-time championship team in division 2.  The talent around him was better than the guys they were playing.  And even if you remove him, the trend is going the other way.  

I think you're giving too much credit early 

Maybe Watson works with Mike Williams.  Time will tell

Baker had dede Westbrook, been OK so far and Hollywood... Who knows 

Luck had Colby Fleener?