BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

My only issue is that players are very common moved via trading, and removing that capital would reduce the amount of trading that could take place.

You mean the back end bulk contracts above $500/yr  that are dealt to give others problems. We could do with less of that IMO.

Pretty much more PFA's will give you the option of opting out of a bad player after year one or committing to them for 2 more years and then being able to cut them after year 2 as a Sub $500 cut or use them as trade pieces as you suggest. It's a win win situation.

48 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

OK Here's Hunters Spotrac profile. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/danielle-hunter-16812/

Using BDL terms, in 2018 Hunter signed a 5 Year contract extension for $72K. They tore up his contract and paid him the same as the last year of his Rookie deal in 2018 of $1.907M and he got a $15M signing bonus in 2018. So his total contract was actually 6 years $73.907K. 

Per BDL rules I had to sign him to a 3 up in the 2018 season in order to take advantage of that 6 year contract (Pheltz rule). If I didn't then I could only sign him based off his 5 year extension. 5 years/$72K. Which is the situation you are in with Diggs.

So I signed him to a 6 year deal at $9,239/year or $55,434 total . (75% of $73,1907) I had to use the higher of his RL contract ($1,907) or BDL contract ($686) to get that number.

If I had waited until 2019 to 3 Up him the numbers look like this.

5 Years at $10,800/year for a $54,000 total. (75% of $72,000)

Comparing those two contracts Hunter is actually making more in the long run the way I resigned him.

6 year deal = $55,434 total

5 year total + BDL Rookie deal = $54,686 total

What I did was take a huge cap hit of $8,553 more than I needed to in 2018 to get about a $1,600/yr savings over years 2-6 of the deal.

I budgeted for that as I knew I was going to have to pay the highest QB (at the time Jimmy G) and the highest INT (Donald) this year as well. Although now it's going to likely be the highest paid RB this year (Bell) instead and the highest paid QB (Rodgers) next year.

In the end with the new 1 year trailing the NFL Cap rule we have it likely won't make that much of a difference as everyone will have plenty of cap space.

I don't think any of what you are saying about Hunter's contract is correct.  They signed him to an extension just like Diggs.  They didn't rip up his contract.  Not sure why you think that, unless it's something I'm missing.

Edited by pheltzbahr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I don't think any of what you are saying about Hunter's contract is correct.  They signed.gim to an extension just like Diggs.  They didn't run up his contract.  Not sure why you think that, unless it's.something I'm missing.

He got a $15M signing bonus in 2018 plus his $1,907 base salary. There are six years listed in Spotrac not 5 years. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about that.

These Extensions are just agent speak so they can say they got their guy the most money. 

Several 3 ups done the last few years have been this way since we started the year round thing Hunter isn't something new. 

3 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I don't even know what the "pheltz" rule even means at this point.  Time to quit I guess.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:03 PM, SirA1 said:

It actually sounds like something that we revisit next year and remove. Definitely a Blue rule IMO.

Pheltz Said:

Its the pheltz rule bro.  Your Alzheimers is advancing at a rapid rate.

It hard to quote from a closed thread but her's your comment from last year.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

This has gotten crazy complicated.  It's to the point where I think we should just make 3Ups 75% of the exact contract a guy has.  No more loopholes, exceptions, special situations, any of it.  

The simplest solution would be to go back to the way Centurion wanted and have no new contracts but FA/Draft and not be able to cut anyone.

People would revolt.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

This has gotten crazy complicated.  It's to the point where I think we should just make 3Ups 75% of the exact contract a guy has.  No more loopholes, exceptions, special situations, any of it.  

I thought this was how it was... so I’m all for this. And this is coming from someone who is going to have to pay Trey Flowers

Edited by Counselor

Just now, SirA1 said:

The simplest solution would be to go back to the way Centurion wanted and have no new contracts but FA/Draft and not be able to cut anyone.

People would revolt.

I mean, it seems we have to recall a new rule for each new 3Up.  I'm on the contract committee and I can't remember half of which rule applies to which case.

I'll propose this.  

3 Ups are determined by looking at the average salary for a player based on the Spotrac number.  That average annual salary is multiplied by .75 to determine the 3UP annual salary.  That salary will be the new salary for the exact number of years remaining on the players RL contract.

Is there any real reason it can't be this simple?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I mean, it seems we have to recall a new rule for each new 3Up.  I'm on the contract committee and I can't remember half of which rule applies to which case.

One of the reasons I want to take a look at everything this summer and rework it all piece by piece. Not something we can fix in a weekend.

9 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'll propose this.  

3 Ups are determined by looking at the average salary for a player based on the Spotrac number.  That average annual salary is multiplied by .75 to determine the 3UP annual salary.  That salary will be the new salary for the exact number of years remaining on the players RL contract.

This is how it should be. 

8 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'll propose this.  

Yes. Year round 3 ups and the fact that Extensions are usually referring to the next year and not the current year that the contract is signed in.

It's easy when a player is a UFA IRL and BDL at the same time.