BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

So I have a question that hopefully some of you can answer. Hypothetically speaking let's say I caught a player that has more than one year on his contract. I understand that I will have to eat that amount still so I don't open up that cap space oh, it's as though he's still on my team. But let's say I do cut him anyway, and I'm not planning to cut him but I'm going to use Noah Spence as an example he's got two years on his contract he's getting paid 3000 some odd dollars per year. So let's say I cut him so I eat the $3,000 this year does that money go away and get added to my available cap space next year or do I still have to eat that money next year too because he has more than one year on his contract

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

So I have a question that hopefully some of you can answer. Hypothetically speaking let's say I caught a player that has more than one year on his contract. I understand that I will have to eat that amount still so I don't open up that cap space oh, it's as though he's still on my team. But let's say I do cut him anyway, and I'm not planning to cut him but I'm going to use Noah Spence as an example he's got two years on his contract he's getting paid 3000 some odd dollars per year. So let's say I cut him so I eat the $3,000 this year does that money go away and get added to my available cap space next year or do I still have to eat that money next year too because he has more than one year on his contract

You cut a contract with a non 3-down you eat all of the contract at once. 

I.E If a player has 2 years 6,000 (3,000/yr) left you'd play 6,000 that year. 

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

And here the attempting to convince everyone they have gold comes in. I’m sure everyone of your signings is a future pro bowl player. Congrats. 

Eh. I got a starting DE, a guy that plays NT that may boom or bust and a young CB that played well in slot last year.

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

You cut a contract with a non 3-down you eat all of the contract at once. 

I.E If a player has 2 years 6,000 (3,000/yr) left you'd play 6,000 that year. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Okay I got you. Thank you

Pretty sure that's not true. If you sign a guy on a 6000/2 (3000 per) and cut him year 1 you pay 3k in year 1 and year 2

1 minute ago, TedLavie said:

Pretty sure that's not true. If you sign a guy on a 6000/2 (3000 per) and cut him year 1 you pay 3k in year 1 and year 2

You can’t cut him outright. You can double down. Paying it all at once the first year. So moving that second year money to year one. But he has to stay on your team

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You can’t cut him outright. You can double down. Paying it all at once the first year. So moving that second year money to year one. But he has to stay on your team

So wait I'm not allowed to cut somebody if I want to that just seems stupid

Your options are this 

1.  You cut him, he is removed from your roster and you will pay his total contract which is 6000 in the example above (generally only done if you need a roster spot) 

Or 

2.  You do what we call double down where he stays on your roster and you pay him the total contract (6000) and he is off your team at the end of the year) 

Edited by bcb1213
  • Like 2