BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Your options are this 

1.  You cut him, he is removed from your roster and you will pay his total contract which is 6000 in the example above 

Or 

2.  You do what we call double down where he stays on your roster and you pay him the total contract 

Yeah I mixed the two into one move forget they were separate. 

3 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Your options are this 

1.  You cut him, he is removed from your roster and you will pay his total contract which is 6000 in the example above (generally only done if you need a roster spot) 

Or 

2.  You do what we call double down where he stays on your roster and you pay him the total contract (6000) and he is off your team at the end of the year) 

@wwhickok

I edited for a little more clarity 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Well it doesn’t look like the rules specify actually

• Normal cut (all year long) : Any player can be cut at any time, but the owner will pay the salary of the player for the remaining time left on the contract.

Don't worry I am sending a proposal to SirA.

17 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Well it doesn’t look like the rules specify actually

• Normal cut (all year long) : Any player can be cut at any time, but the owner will pay the salary of the player for the remaining time left on the contract.

I've written that one so I know what I meant

So say you have Noah Spence, who has 5K due in 2019 and 2020

You can:

1. Cut him, and pay 5000 of dead money in 2019 and 2020

2. Double down him, pay 10000 in 2019 and have him off the roster in 2020

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I've written that one so I know what I meant

So say you have Noah Spence, who has 5K due in 2019 and 2020

You can:

1. Cut him, and pay 5000 of dead money in 2019 and 2020

2. Double down him, pay 10000 in 2019 and have him off the roster in 2020

We don't track debt across multiple years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

We don't track debt across multiple years.

I'm not trying to be snide here so forgive me if I come across that way but we don't because we are too lazy despite that being the rule or we don't because people are not interpreting the rule that way?

Just now, wwhickok said:

I'm not trying to be snide here so forgive me if I come across that way but we don't because we are too lazy despite that being the rule or we don't because people are not interpreting the rule that way?

My understanding of why we never did this was because 1. it's long lasting and unchangeable (I.E future owners are impacted by this) 2. tracking debt from a player no longer on your roster is a massive pain.

I can't remember a single instance of dead cap carrying over because you always pay it out in a single year. Whether that's double downing, cutting the contract, or trading them away. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

My understanding of why we never did this was because 1. it's long lasting and unchangeable (I.E future owners are impacted by this) 2. tracking debt from a player no longer on your roster is a massive pain.

I can't remember a single instance of dead cap carrying over because you always pay it out in a single year. Whether that's double downing, cutting the contract, or trading them away. 

Well a lot of that makes sense future owners such as myself when I first came in although I tried to do some trades to counteract it but it was really tough and I still am left with guys that I can't trade that aownon stupid contracts, is that previous owners will have acquired a bunch of guys with high contracts and the options to get rid of these contract are basically nonexistent as a new owner unless you can find someone to trade with you

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 2

Allow me to expand upon my comments above about new owners. I would have done things a lot differently yes players I personally had no hand in acquiring were able to be removed from the roster with a minimal dead cap. I traded a lot of guys to Portland and some other teams just to relieve some cap and then of course you had other teams that would do trades unless you took the guys if they didn't want they were basically untradeable afterward but whatever. Instead of even making trades I probably would have caught most of the guys and gone into free agency with a massive amount of cap space and just plucked role-players out in two spots it I wanted them. Now that's just me I don't know how other people would have done it but my point is when I inherited this team it was in absolute cap hell. I put the team back together at one point had nearly $60,000 in cap space and since then have spent some of that money in trades and free agency signings but I've put this team in a position to wear while they may not be overly competitive in the upcoming season a couple of Seasons down the road they should be. But the issue is hypothetically if we need to replace an owner and they come in and find themselves in a similar position as I was after taking over for another owner there's no real options to them other than trying and struggling to make trades that allows them to open up some cap space and actually improve the team to a point where they can have confidence that just maybe people won't automatically vote them to lose games because the majority of the league thinks that poorly of the roster

• Like 1