BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Except that you are assuming that every owner thinks exactly alike and I am someone who is a fairly new owner and can tell you that I disagree with that mentality because it's not my mentality. I would approach free agency by signing guys who have some years left in the league that by the time I feel I would be competitive would still be relevant players and I wouldn't want to eliminate my complete ability to sign those players or any other player for that matter in free agency by double Downing a ton of players just to get rid of them after a single season but that's mainly because I have no interest in intentionally tanking because honestly that's probably the number one reason you would use a double down and mediately and more so numerously in my opinion

wwhickok, I want to say this in the nicest way possible but you're 100% wrong. I won the BDL championship last year and still double downed two players at the end of the season. The double down is a feature best used at the end of the season where you utilize any extra cap space that you have left over to get players off your roster in future years. Just because you can't use it now doesn't mean it's not a useful tool for owners.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

wwhickok, I want to say this in the nicest way possible but you're 100% wrong. I won the BDL championship last year and still double downed two players at the end of the season. The double down is a feature best used at the end of the season where you utilize any extra cap space that you have left over to get players off your roster in future years. Just because you can't use it now doesn't mean it's not a useful tool for owners.

I am not just a green with using the double down in that situation that's not what I said I never said that. How often is a new owner and I'm just talkin about my personal experience how often is a new owner coming in during the season probably never. I was saying that I double down he's not likely something you are going to use during the off-season which is when I came in I didn't have the opportunity to double down any players during the end of the regular season because I wasn't here then. I doubled down has its advantages but the advantages are very limited. So saying this in the nicest way possible you are 100% wrong in your comment because I wasn't arguing that point at all

Edited by wwhickok

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Proposal 3: Eliminate Following Rule:

• Normal cut (all year long) : Any player can be cut at any time, but the owner will pay the salary of the player for the remaining time left on the contract.

Replace above rule with following rule:

• Escalate contract cost forward into current year cap cost.

I don't understand the misinterpretation of this rule. @TedLavie is right. If a player with 2 years remaining is outright cut then his 2 years worth of contract would stay against your cap over those two years. Other wise this is literally the same thing as a double down. Your proposal already exists in the form of a double down wwhickok.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

I don't understand the misinterpretation of this rule. @TedLavie is right. If a player with 2 years remaining is outright cut then his 2 years worth of contract would stay against your cap over those two years. Other wise this is literally the same thing as a double down. Your proposal already exists in the form of a double down wwhickok.

I am aware that. The real proposal is to Simply eliminate the other rule I don't have a problem with cap space being counted over multiple years but clearly I'm in the minority there

29 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So saying this in the nicest way possible you are 100% wrong in your comment because I wasn't arguing that point at all

I literally bolded the point in your post I was arguing. You don't need to tank or lose intentionally to use a double down, nor is it the number one reason why you would use it.

I understand your complaint as a new owner and we took very similar paths trading away a ton of players and making a lot of moves to clear cap so you can put your own stamp on the team. That said I don't necessarily agree that a new owner should be given an advantage to help clear a roster.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I am aware that. The real proposal is to Simply eliminate the other rule I don't have a problem with cap space being counted over multiple years but clearly I'm in the minority there

We can put it up for a vote, no problem with that at all. I personally would probably need a better understanding of why we would want to get rid of a GM's ability to just cut a player and eat the dead cap?

38 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

No, no he's not 

That's never how we've done it ever.  We don't move cap hits to future seasons.  If you'd like to bring that up in the next meetings feel free.  I'm not even opposed to voting for it.  But right now no

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I am not just a green with using the double down in that situation that's not what I said I never said that. How often is a new owner and I'm just talkin about my personal experience how often is a new owner coming in during the season probably never. I was saying that I double down he's not likely something you are going to use during the off-season which is when I came in I didn't have the opportunity to double down any players during the end of the regular season because I wasn't here then. I doubled down has its advantages but the advantages are very limited. So saying this in the nicest way possible you are 100% wrong in your comment because I wasn't arguing that point at all

Ya took over a bad team.  You can't fix it in one season.  Just like real life.  I wish I still had my first lineup to show you what I started with.  Jake Locker and Darren McFadden with a bunch of scrubs 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

No, no he's not 

That's never how we've done it ever.  We don't move cap hits to future seasons.  If you'd like to bring that up in the next meetings feel free.  I'm not even opposed to voting for it.  But right now no

Thank you. I knew it wasnt a thing.

13 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Ya took over a bad team.  You can't fix it in one season.  Just like real life.  I wish I still had my first lineup to show you what I started with.  Jake Locker and Darren McFadden with a bunch of scrubs 

I had like 9 QBs on the roster that were all trash.

14 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Nobody was talking about being able to fix it in one season and furthermore the proposals I need wouldn't even help me. So everybody thinking that I'm making this about me but I'm not

Holy hell I found an old one.  I don't know the year 

QB Jake Locker 

RB Darren McFadden 

WR Reggie Wayne 

WR Anquan Bolden 

WR Paul Richardson 

TE. Troy Niklas 

LT Greg Robinson 

LG Todd Herremans 

C Manny Ramirez 

RG Ramon Foster 

RT Jeremy Parnell