2019 FA TALK!!!

Pastor Dillon

8 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Let’s go out and sign Ronald Darby to start at CB for us. Then let’s draft a tackle In rounds 1 and 2. And let’s take a CB in round 2. 

Is Darby fully recovered from his litany of injuries? I'm down either way, but wondering.

looking at our current situation, we need to go into win now mode big time. We have an aging D, and an offense ready to explode. Our coach has something to prove now as he has been here a while. We just won a division championship and we have our QB of the future cheap for the next 2 years. 

We have a TON of cap space. We can clear even more by cutting Johnson and saving 9 million. 

I would resign Clowney and restructure Watt. Watt is basically out of guaranteed money, but there is no way we are letting him walk after he showed he still has plenty left in the tank. he has a cap hit of 15 million. We should be able to restructure his deal, add some money and years to it and either lower his cap hit this season or front load a deal that is more team friendly when Watson starts getting paid. Same with Clowney, we need to front load his deal as well. 

We need to resign Kareem Jackson and HoneyBadger. I dont see many option in free agency to replace those two guys, and our secondary is a mess anyway. 

id offer Mercilus a restructured deal as well, give him more years but at a team friendly number. He didnt have the season he needed to this past year, but I wouldnt mind giving him another 2-3 if it they are team friendly. 

We need to cut Miller and save that 6 million. 

We will still have big bucks to spend even after all that. 

I am going after a tackle and a CB in free agency. Our secondary is trash. We need to enter the season with JJoe, Kareem, Colvin, FA and 2nd round pick at CB. 

We also need a tackle in FA. Rookies are nice, but more likely than not a late first round rookie is not going to be a significant upgrade at LT. We need to get the best one on the market and draft a 1st round LT to play at RT while we groom him. 

We also need a guard in round 2. 

NOW IS THE OFF SEASON TO GO ALL IN. 

Today is the start of franchise tagging - teams have until March 5th to decide on whether or not to tag a player. 

Jadevion Clowney is probably the biggest name on the potential tag list (not just the Texans, but in the NFL) and it's a foregone conclusion that Clowney will be tagged if a deal isn't struck between now and March 5th.

Peter King went on record to say the Texans don't want to negotiate a long term deal with Clowney because he's not the "worker bee" that others on this defense are. I'm getting the feeling that this tag is less about a one year evaluation and more about getting something more than a compensatory 3rd round pick - it's about dealing Clowney right now, for as much as h can be dealt for. 

On 610 this morning, Seth Payne went on the record and said he'd do a deal for a 1st and 2nd in this upcoming draft (which is actually a LOT less than what Oakland got for Khalil Mack). 

What would you expect from a potential tag and trade on Clowney? Would you even consider trading away a two time 2nd team All Pro and the best run defender in the league?

My answer:

- Yeah, I'd trade him. You'd have to find a replacement early, but part of replacing him is getting Whitney Mercilius involved more instead of putting him out in coverage. 

- I'd need more than a 1/2 this year. I'd probably need a 2/3 next year and a 4th in 2021, but that shouldn't be too high of an asking price.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Today is the start of franchise tagging - teams have until March 5th to decide on whether or not to tag a player. 

Jadevion Clowney is probably the biggest name on the potential tag list (not just the Texans, but in the NFL) and it's a foregone conclusion that Clowney will be tagged if a deal isn't struck between now and March 5th.

Peter King went on record to say the Texans don't want to negotiate a long term deal with Clowney because he's not the "worker bee" that others on this defense are. I'm getting the feeling that this tag is less about a one year evaluation and more about getting something more than a compensatory 3rd round pick - it's about dealing Clowney right now, for as much as h can be dealt for. 

On 610 this morning, Seth Payne went on the record and said he'd do a deal for a 1st and 2nd in this upcoming draft (which is actually a LOT less than what Oakland got for Khalil Mack). 

What would you expect from a potential tag and trade on Clowney? Would you even consider trading away a two time 2nd team All Pro and the best run defender in the league?

My answer:

- Yeah, I'd trade him. You'd have to find a replacement early, but part of replacing him is getting Whitney Mercilius involved more instead of putting him out in coverage. 

- I'd need more than a 1/2 this year. I'd probably need a 2/3 next year and a 4th in 2021, but that shouldn't be too high of an asking price.

no one is giving up 3 or 4 picks to get Clowney. The guy disappears for large stretches of of the season and is constantly hyped up by the media. NFL GMs are not dumb. Mack brought two 1sts. which is high end market because he was a high end player. Mack has 53 sacks to Clowneys 29. If someone offered a 1st round pick, I would trade him in a heartbeat and try and draft one of these OLB coming out of college this year. I do not want to pay Clowney JJ Watt type money, and my top option would be to trade him, but if not we cant just let him walk for nothing. He is better than average most of the time. 

a 1/2 this year would be an insane haul for him. I wish we could trade him for a franchise LT, but there arent many teams out there willing to do that.  

In terms of sure fire talent, this free agent class is awful.  I'd lock up Clowney, Honey Badger, and Covington, but I can live with letting Kareem walk as he's 31 and last season was an extreme outlier. I'm all for shopping at the top of the list with guys like Trent Brown, Ja'Waun James, Daryl Williams who we should be able to outbid nearly anyone for as tackle simply HAS to be the priority, but I think for other positions this is also a class where we can afford to take some risks further down the list.  

A guy I think we really need to explore is C Mitch Morse who brings dimensions Nick Martin never will even if he figures things out.  The offense needs a screen game to punish teams for the all out pass rush which requires a smart and mobile center like Morse.  Unlike Martin who still doesn't have the mental side down either, Morse can make line adjustments out of the huddle that Watson still isn't great at identifying.  I don't understand why Fulton is on the right side at all as he's a horrific run blocker and I'd much rather see him at LG until Rankin is ready.  Martin's long-term home is at RG in my mind. Jared Veldheer could be a solid and affordable addition at RT and great mentor for a rookie RT which to me has to be amongst our first two draft picks. I want to see us layer in a high floor-low ceiling guy to balance all the lottery tickets like Henderson, Rankin, and Davenport.  

I know we're all high on Coutee, but I'm not willing to have another season where the slot becomes an afterthought.  Jamison Crowder has been one of my favorite receivers for years as the dude simply does everything well, can't be covered by most slot corners, and absolutely fits the profile of a smart-high character player.  Could probably be had at a discount since he's coming off a down year and while he's not a #1, he slots in right in the middle of Fuller's speed and Hopkins hands, so he's great injury insurance as well.  Deandre Carter was a pretty exciting returner, but Crowder gives us some other options if Carter get's a bit too free and loose with the football.

I'd love to see us bring in CB Jason Varrett on a one-year prove it deal as if he can still healthy, he's got even more upside than Honey Badger did.  No, we shouldn't base our strategy on him being or staying healthy, but if he does, we finally have a successor to Joseph in the building.  Darqueze Dennard would be an upgrade on Colvin in the slot.  Dude is as fundamentally sound as they come and equally comfortable in man or zone.  I would love to see Gaine be able to admit FA or draft mistakes early instead of hoping they come around as we've done with Kevin Johnson and XSF. Aaron Colvin - I'm talking about you.

At TE, I'd finally ditch the Ryan Griffin era and build around Akins and Thomas as the receiving threats and bring in one of the top notch blocking TE's that is available including Jesse James, Nick Boyle, James O'Shaunessy, Luke Stocker.   However, if I were a betting man, I'd bet the farm on one of the Iowa guys (Hockenson or Fant) getting picked with our 2nd and we'll likely move up to get one of them.  The Ferentz man-crush is strong with BOb but if it's Hockenson we're going to have to move ahead of the Pats as he'd be a perfect successor to or insurance for Gronk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I know we're all high on Coutee, but I'm not willing to have another season where the slot becomes an afterthought.  Jamison Crowder has been one of my favorite receivers for years as the dude simply does everything well, can't be covered by most slot corners, and absolutely fits the profile of a smart-high character player.  Could probably be had at a discount since he's coming off a down year and while he's not a #1, he slots in right in the middle of Fuller's speed and Hopkins hands, so he's great injury insurance as well.  Deandre Carter was a pretty exciting returner, but Crowder gives us some other options if Carter get's a bit too free and loose with the football.

I'm actually thinking Jordan Matthews would be a nice pickup - not a speed guy by any means, but a guy who uses his quickness in his routes to get open and attacks the ball in the air, using his body to box out defenders and make contested catches. 

He'd be a perfect slot guy in the mold of Jarvis Landry who could take snaps from Will Fuller on the outside if Fuller gets hurt again.

Only question would be if he'd entertain a shot as a #4 again.

Speaking of #4 guys - Bruce Ellington was just cut from Detroit. He knows the offense and Deshaun has a rapport with him. I wouldn't mind bringing him in as a camp body/#5 guy. 

18 hours ago, ET80 said:
21 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I'm actually thinking Jordan Matthews would be a nice pickup - not a speed guy by any means, but a guy who uses his quickness in his routes to get open and attacks the ball in the air, using his body to box out defenders and make contested catches. 

He'd be a perfect slot guy in the mold of Jarvis Landry who could take snaps from Will Fuller on the outside if Fuller gets hurt again.

Only question would be if he'd entertain a shot as a #4 again.

Speaking of #4 guys - Bruce Ellington was just cut from Detroit. He knows the offense and Deshaun has a rapport with him. I wouldn't mind bringing him in as a camp body/#5 guy. 

I was actually thinking of addressing it in the draft instead with Hunter Renfrow in the mid rounds. When you need it he always seems to get open and make the catch. I know he won't be a big time producer nor able to move outside if injuries occur, but he has the Edleman factor to me.

In terms of position I think tackle is the only one that needs to be addressed in FA. The other "needs" on this team I think can be addressed in the draft. Now to be clear I don't think we can address them all in the draft, some will need to be taken care of in FA, but I don't think any of them specifically need to be other than tackle. So I am all in there with FA. Trent Brown would be great. I like the other guys @Apollo Stallion mentioned and I'd add Donovan Smith. Solid last year and improving every year. And still only 25. And can play LT so we aren't hamstrung as to needing to draft one that can be a LT.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I'm starting to think this too.  I hope it wont be for a whole lot.  

I'm OK with paying a premium for him. Front load the deal, give yourself an out after 2-3 years.

My dream would would have us land Brown and somehow leave the draft with Dillard. We would instantly be title contenders on offense. Sign a CB, draft a CB in round 2. Bring back our safties and then we have the rest of the draft to just take some depth guys at Linebacker, DT, maybe a Guard or two.