Panthers Relieve GM Gettleman of Duties

fretgod99

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Dave-Gettleman-no-longer-general-manager/0002c6ae-e370-4b1a-9af8-50e52943984c

Panthers have fired their GM. Odd timing. Strap in, everybody! Football season is almost upon us!

Very odd timing. Training Camp is when some older vets get let go. Some decent value always hits the market, a good mix of veteran role players as well as young guys teams intend to stash away on the PS.

So is Ron Rivera taking over personnel duties? Anyone on staff that can get promoted to the role? Answers! I need ANSWERS!

51 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Timing for this seems so odd. If it isn't for poor personnel moves, why wait until now?

I doubt it's just poor personnel moves, otherwise it would have happened earlier.  There has to be some sort of bridge that was burned.  I mean, DeAngelo Williams' tweet pretty much summed it up for me.

56 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I doubt it's just poor personnel moves, otherwise it would have happened earlier.  There has to be some sort of bridge that was burned.  I mean, DeAngelo Williams' tweet pretty much summed it up for me.

yeah that tweet is telling. Still seems weird that the ownership would wait until now to fire him if he ruined relationships that much.

2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

yeah that tweet is telling. Still seems weird that the ownership would wait until now to fire him if he ruined relationships that much.

I'd have to imagine that this one has been in the works for a while now.  Not every team wants to go through the lame duck situation like what happened with the Bills and Doug Whaley.  And I'm not sure they wanted to go and fire him prior to the draft either.

41 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Whoa. No beating around the bush there. 

Timing is odd though, why not right after the draft?

Some think the last straws were Gettleman's apparent unwillingness tonwork with Davis and Olsen on extensions. Both are huge fan (and Richardson) favorites. Obviously you can't give them the world in their contracts, but if the players didn't feel like he was being respectful towards them and their dealings, it would really rub Richardson the wrong way I think. The impression I've always had of Richardson is that he very much cares about his players. There are pros and cons to that, but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Some think the last straws were Gettleman's apparent unwillingness tonwork with Davis and Olsen on extensions. Both are huge fan (and Richardson) favorites. Obviously you can't give them the world in their contracts, but if the players didn't feel like he was being respectful towards them and their dealings, it would really rub Richardson the wrong way I think. The impression I've always had of Richardson is that he very much cares about his players. There are pros and cons to that, but it is what it is.

Apparently Thomas Davis has an "unusually close relationship" with Richardson (whatever that means), which would certainly lend credence to that theory

Archived