Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I like Yannick and think he'll definitely be a big improvement over what we've had. If Crosby can make a leap as well our pass rush should be good but I just don't think Yannick is some dominant, elite player. He has been at his best when playing with another good pass rusher, luckily we have one in Crosby. 

I respect that position but it's one thing to say he's not an elite player it's another thing to say that he's a complementary player. Those are two different things lol

25 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I respect that position but it's one thing to say he's not an elite player it's another thing to say that he's a complementary player. Those are two different things lol

What would you consider Maxx Crosby? He's pretty similar to Yannick in that he's a good but not dominant pass rusher that also gets washed in the run game. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He got outplayed multiple years, twice by Campbell and once by Allen. 

Campbell was an interior guy. All I'm going to stay with Allen as I want to see what he looks like without yannick 

Edited by Jeremy408

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Campbell was an interior guy. All I'm going to stay with Allen as I want to see what he looks like without yannick 

Campbell played RDE according to pro football reference. And wasn't Allen banged up most of last season on a team that was actively tanking?

What would you consider Maxx Crosby? He's pretty similar to Yannick in that he's a good but not dominant pass rusher that also gets washed in the run game. 

Now this is actually a good question(probably the best question you've asked me this past week). Let me start by saying I absolutely love Maxx Crosby. 

I think he's a good player that wins with effort rather than actual pass rush moves. Like if you actually watch how he plays he never actually wins the rep he mostly gets his sacks off of broken plays where the quarterback is either a holding the ball forever or be scrambling. Currently his ceiling is 10 sacks and his floor is 7. 

Why Yannick is different is because

1. He actually wins reps with a handful of different styles of rushing the passer from the edge. 

2. Since he's been in the NFL he's had more precious than everyone not named Aaron Donald(which shows that he consistently gets to the quarterback regardless if he actually gets the sack or not and actually might be the reason why others get more sack than him on his team

3. His current ceiling is higher at 12 sacks and his floor is higher at eight sacks

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Campbell played RDE according to pro football reference. And wasn't Allen banged up most of last season on a team that was actively tanking?

Calais Campbell is listed as a defensive end but doesn't Rush from the end spot. He plays the five tech that kicks inside very similar to what they want  Ferrell or Gregory Rousseau to do. 

in terms of Allen, I'm not even talking particularly about last year I'm talking about going forward it'll be interesting to see how Allen does without Ngakoue going forward(also want to see how Nick Bosa does without deforest Buckner going forward)

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Calais Campbell is listed as a defensive end but doesn't Rush from the end spot. He plays the five tech that kicks inside very similar to what they want  Ferrell or Gregory Rousseau to do. 

in terms of Allen, I'm not even talking particularly about last year I'm talking about going forward it'll be interesting to see how Allen does without Ngakoue going forward(also want to see how Nick Bosa does without deforest Buckner going forward)

It will also be interesting to see how Yannick performs with what will likely be a mediocre interior pass rush this season. 

Yes it will be. Hoping Ferrell, Thomas, Jefferson, and Philon can provide some interior pass rushing but I'm not overly optimistic about it. 

Now when it comes to that you and I agree. I think Jefferson provides a pretty decent floor. And I like the ceiling of Solomon Thomas.

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Now when it comes to that you and I agree. I think Jefferson provides a pretty decent floor. And I like the ceiling of Solomon Thomas.

Jefferson is a decent rotational piece but he produced at a similar level to Mo Hurst. Thomas could be a sleeper but he never really did much on a stacked defensive line in San Francisco. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jefferson is a decent rotational piece but he produced at a similar level to Mo Hurst. Thomas could be a sleeper but he never really did much on a stacked defensive line in San Francisco. 

I am actually more confident in Philon than Thomas because he's played at a pretty decent level before.