πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

• 4 weeks later...

I know it won't happen but I really wish Saquon would pull a LeVeon Bell or at worst a Vincent Jackson for 11 games.

Playing on the Tag is a Joke. Only being offered a 2 yr contract not even fully guaranteed a joke but it's what the NFL is doing to the position, RB get ***'d.

But hey let's pay Daniel Jones 40M a year and a GD WRΒ  with 46 catches only 1 TD in 2 years a 4 yr 72M contract! πŸ‘ŒπŸ–•

If I’m a RB, I’ll play on the tag every GD year. Especially a guy like Saquon that has had health issues. It never works out playing hard ball with the tag. Hold out of TC if you want to show your dissatisfaction but don’t miss games. It does no one any good. Take the money and run….literally.Β 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Hold out of TC if you want to show your dissatisfaction but don’t miss games. It does no one any good. Take the money and run….literally.Β 

Hell No at a bare minimum pull a Emmitt Smith (93'). Saquon will basically make $589k per game on a $10M FTG.

Every single NFL game is valuable. The NYG can not afford to drop any winnable games playing in the NFCE. Thier first 4 matchups are already difficult,Β  damn near impossible to win "without Barkley".

Wk 1: Dallas

Wk 2: AZ

Wk 3: 49ers

Wk 4: SeahawksΒ 

Can you imagine that fan base who is already pissed they didn't pay him, after a potential AZ loss? Giants can not afford to start the season 0-4 or 1-3. Which is exactly what will occur if Saquon sits out.Β 

Well worth $1.2M (2 gms) if it forces the Giants FO into guaranteeing him $24-28M over the next 2-3 years, instead of just 10M for 2023.

Not every RB is a dime a Dozen. That applies to the other 5 Scrubs on the roster backing him up.

Breida, Gray, Corbin, Brightwell, Myarick

On 7/15/2023 at 12:47 PM, Nabbs4u said:

I know it won't happen but I really wish Saquon would pull a LeVeon Bell or at worst a Vincent Jackson for 11 games.

Playing on the Tag is a Joke. Only being offered a 2 yr contract not even fully guaranteed a joke but it's what the NFL is doing to the position, RB get ***'d.

But hey let's pay Daniel Jones 40M a year and a GD WRΒ  with 46 catches only 1 TD in 2 years a 4 yr 72M contract! πŸ‘ŒπŸ–•

Wait.. who's this WR you are referencing? Only guy I see with a 4 year contract is Robinson and its 4yr 8M. Slayton had 46 catches last year and they resigned him for a 2yr 12M contract. Did I miss a signing or something? 🀨

Also in regards to Barkley. Had Schoen signed him to Henry/Kamara type money you'd be on here all "Zomg what an idiot... RB market is the pits, you could have Cook for half that... this idiot is Gettlemen 2.0 lolz".Β 

22-25M GTD is fair market value for Barkley. I think they'll come to terms somewhere in that range today.Β 

15 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

22-25M GTD is fair market value for Barkley. I think they'll come to terms somewhere in that range today.Β 

They never offered him 22-24 guaranteed, not once. Which is why he shouldn't play on the tag. If remotely offered today, he'd easily sign it.

Β 

15 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Wait.. who's this WR you are referencing?

I was referring to the Giants wasting money on future HOF WR Kenny Golladay.

I have no problem paying a true Franchise/game changing RB. Which I believe Barkley is.

Edited by Nabbs4u

RIght. The leaks that have come out say 19.5M was the highest the Giants have offered. I think they come up a bit today to get this deal done (for all the reasons you listed above). If not then SB has a tough decision to make. I believe they drafted Gray because he has a similar skillset. If SB does hold out I suspect Breida would get the lions share until Gray is ready to take over. Scouting on him says his pass blocking is not the greatest. Or they make a move on Cook/Hunt/Zeke.Β 

I mean yea Golladay was a horrible signing but it was the last administration... not sure why it's relevant. By releasing him they actually saved 6.7M in cap space.Β 

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I mean yea Golladay was a horrible signing but it was the last administration... not sure why it's relevant. By releasing him they actually saved 6.7M in cap space.Β 

It's more so this stupid GD mindset FO and fans have adapted to where it's OK to pay a WR 18-24M a season but not the bell cow RB that actually makes your offense go!Β 

Last administration,Β  current administration are playing hardball becuase they can. Because the RB position is getting ***'d as a whole. It's become the norm.Β 

No one, not Daniel Jones, not Kenny Golladay deserves to be paid more then Saquon.Β  For what he's meant to the Giants offense the past 5 years and what he undoubtedly brings to the 2023 version projected.

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

The leaks that have come out say 19.5M was the highest the Giants have offered.

So in otherwords,Β  lock myself into less then B2B FTags!!!! He was right to say πŸ–•.

Edited by Nabbs4u

Β 

What We Know: The fully guaranteed money needs to be at least $22 million

That is the estimated sum of the two franchise tags for this year and next. To expect Barkley to take anything less is just not practical. To believe the Giants lowballed him in this regard is to not have the entire picture.

If you look at what the Giants did with Daniel Jones and Dexter Lawrence, each both the sum of the two franchise tag amounts at their respective positions plus a little extra. It's hard to believe that the Giants wouldn't make the same offer to Barkley.

Β 

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-barkley-contract-talks

I mean the FO is following the same gameplan with SB they did with Jones. It's the market that dictates the value of the tag for any position. I agree RB's are getting screwed but the game has changed so much in favor of the passing offenses. They lowballed Jones a bit at first too, then came to settle at the total of the 2 tags+. I suspect they'll do the same with Barkley.Β 

No one, not Daniel Jones, not Kenny Golladay deserves to be paid more then Saquon.Β  For what he's meant to the Giants offense the past 5 years and what he undoubtedly brings to the 2023 version projected.

This is kind of silly take. At 22M+ total guaranteed Barkley would be the 4th highest paid RB in the league. Jones at 104M total guaranteed puts him 12th.Β 

Edited by Shockwave

21 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

This is kind of silly take. At 22M+ total guaranteed Barkley would be the 4th highest paid RB in the league. Jones at 104M total guaranteed puts him 12th.Β 

If you had to guess, who's actually closer in value if given that contract?

Barkley being paid as a Top 5 RB in the NFL?

Or

Daniel being paid as a top 12 QB in the NFL?

Β 

I understand positional value, what dictates contract negotiations. The working theory is πŸ–• RB we can find another. I'd love for the 2023 Giants to find out the hard way that's not the case with your current back up RB's and newly paid FQB.

I wish Saquon, Jacobs, Cook all got together, agreed to stand pat and pull a LeVeon to help reset the market for all RB moving forward. Unfortunately 1, 2 or all 3 will fold like a cheap lawn chair so it would never happen.Β 

Edited by Nabbs4u

It’s just not worth the money anymore. Barkley’s getting paid top dollar for the year while only producing one top performance 5 years ago. Take the guaranteed money, bank it, consider that your retirement money. If you are what you say you are, next year you’ll get your $30M guaranteed or whatever. I’d be happy about that kind of coin for one year if I was a player. Clearly, money is going away from the position. How much do you think teams will pay when they know the history of paying RBs big money? Should have just traded him to a team that was willing to pay him.Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

It’s just not worth the money anymore. Barkley’s getting paid top dollar for the year while only producing one top performance 5 years ago. Take the guaranteed money, bank it, consider that your retirement money. If you are what you say you are, next year you’ll get your $30M guaranteed or whatever. I’d be happy about that kind of coin for one year if I was a player. Clearly, money is going away from the position. How much do you think teams will pay when they know the history of paying RBs big money? Should have just traded him to a team that was willing to pay him.Β 

I agree with mostly all your post. But this here... what team is going to give him more then the Giants? They're probably the only team willing to go this heavy in GTD money for a 2nd contract because how much they used in draft capital on him, and how much the fans love him. You have Cook sitting out there who is a comparable statistically and in skillset and value. Sanders signed a very team friendly contract and put up comparable stats to Barkley last year. I just don't see any other team willing to pay him more then the 2 tags. Trade him and he's probably stuck in the same situation.Β 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I agree with mostly all your post. But this here... what team is going to give him more then the Giants? They're probably the only team willing to go this heavy in GTD money for a 2nd contract because how much they used in draft capital on him, and how much the fans love him. You have Cook sitting out there who is a comparable statistically and in skillset and value. Sanders signed a very team friendly contract and put up comparable stats to Barkley last year. I just don't see any other team willing to pay him more then the 2 tags. Trade him and he's probably stuck in the same situation.Β 

I don’t disagree and it’s entirely plausible no other team would offer him the money he’s looking for but I have to imagine if they shopped him (maybe they did?) that teams would know that trading for him would assume he’d be getting at least top 3 RB money and he’d need a contract. No offense, but what are the Giants going to do next year? If this is a one year play, it’s awful ambitious. They could have shopped him to a team that’s looking to push in a little more. Teams get aggressive when they know they’re close. I think somebody with some deep pockets would have stepped up. And the Giants could have gotten some compensation that they can use that more aligns with their trajectory. With that said, they’re in a tough situation with Barkley. I think they know it’ll hinder there chances going forward to pay him market money. But I think they also know how much the offense needs him to go. It just goes back to what I believe is becoming NFL law; you don’t draft a RB that high unless your team is damn near complete and it has its foundation (OL/DL/QB) in a secure a spot. Otherwise, it’s a waste of a major asset and then you are almost forced to pay him (because of his draft slot) market money while it’s been proven that chances are they aren’t worth the chunk of cap space going forward.Β 

On 7/17/2023 at 7:04 PM, Jroc04 said:

Otherwise, it’s a waste of a major asset and then you are almost forced to pay him (because of his draft slot) market money while it’s been proven that chances are they aren’t worth the chunk of cap space going forward.Β 

Disagree! If anything like say Bijan Robinson this year. If you can get 4-5 years of ELITE RB production, on a Rookie contract, draft that MF!

Worry about years 4,5 and 6 if and when they come around. I've never understood why losing say a CB, DE, OL, DL ect.... after his rookie contract because you didn't resign him to a long term deal is any GD different from not resigning a RB if that's what you choose to do?

Like every position in football,Β  there are ELITE game changing RB and the dime a Dozen we can find the easy replacement BS in the later rds.

You get a chance at CMC, you draft his *** and not think twice until year 4 if you decide to extend/FTag his *** in year 5!!!!!

• Like 1