🦅🤠 NFC East 🤷‍♂️🆘 | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

3 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

“If you remove a lot of what they do really well they’re pretty average”

In what way is that fair? The offense has also been notably strong on their own ever since the Niners game and the bye week. And that’s with resting in the 4th quarter the last two games. They also were inches away from beating your team in Philly. 

Yeah because you can count on defensive and special teams scores on a consistent basis, especially against talented and well coached teams. Cowboys aren't gonna pick six and punt/kick return TD their ways to beating elite teams en route to a super bowl. Seems like they stack these defensive and ST points on top of elite offensive performances against bottom of the barrel teams on a weekly basis.

The Cowboys were also a play or two away from never even having a chance to have a shot at the end of that game. Eagles pick up 1 or 2 first downs and that's a comfortable win. People like to forget that it was a 10 point game and Eagles ball with 10 mins left in the 4th quarter aka well in control of the game. The Eagles own mistakes is what firstly opened the door for a chance to make it a more interesting and bumpy win. The Eagles controlled that game more thoroughly and convincingly than the Cowboys. They largely deserved to win the game. And that's what happened.

5 hours ago, Danger said:

That was the exact narrative used against us last year though. And we would beat the teams with winning records we actually played against to (except when Hurts was out with the injury)

It's funny how much the media will bend over backward to just simp for Dallas no matter what the circumstances are.

I don’t see anyone acting like that. Dallas has been legitimately impressive, and I don’t think it’s wrong to acknowledge that they’re an obvious contender in the NFC.

Let’s be honest.. the second anything goes wrong with that team the media will be there to rip them apart and act like the sky is falling. 

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Yeah because you can count on defensive and special teams scores on a consistent basis, especially against talented and well coached teams. Cowboys aren't gonna pick six and punt/kick return TD their ways to beating elite teams en route to a super bowl. Seems like they stack these defensive and ST points on top of elite offensive performances against bottom of the barrel teams on a weekly basis.

The Cowboys were also a play or two away from never even having a chance to have a shot at the end of that game. Eagles pick up 1 or 2 first downs and that's a comfortable win. People like to forget that it was a 10 point game and Eagles ball with 10 mins left in the 4th quarter aka well in control of the game. The Eagles own mistakes is what firstly opened the door for a chance to make it a more interesting and bumpy win. The Eagles controlled that game more thoroughly and convincingly than the Cowboys. They largely deserved to win the game. And that's what happened.

They have had exactly zero punt/ kick return touchdowns this season.. you sort of look like you’re not exactly knowledgeable of the situation. The ability to get takeaways has absolutely been consistent for Dallas — they’ve been top / near the top in the league going on 3 seasons now. Taking away from their defensive skill set isn’t exactly fair and it doesn’t make sense. Also, with your QB turning over the ball I wouldn’t assume that won’t be a problem against Dallas.

Philly got away with tackling a player before Dak’s pass arrived, and it’s why they stopped said player an inch from scoring. Dak also barely stepped out on his 2pt try. A self inflicted penalty at the end made it that much harder to score a final TD, and Lamb ended up 1-2 yards of the game winning TD. Philly made some mistakes, but to act like they were largely better just because they briefly had a 2 possession lead is silly when you consider that Dallas very, very easily could have won despite that. 

And now Philly is going to have to try and beat Dallas at their place when they barely pulled it off at their own place. Good luck with that. Could happen, but Dallas has been dominant there.

Bottom line, Dallas has very obviously looked like a contender in the NFC. They have 6 wins by 20+ points each — that is notable no matter how you spin it. There is no reason to put them outside the level of Philly and San Fran, and at the very least there is no reason to be dismissive. All three teams have had their moments of looking mortal, and your team barely came away with a win against Dallas on their home turf. I’m not so sure they’d be favored in Arlington. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

10 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

I don’t see anyone acting like that. Dallas has been legitimately impressive, and I don’t think it’s wrong to acknowledge that they’re an obvious contender in the NFC.

I mean you are right, the thing is you were dismissing the Eagles week in and week out last year, and even said you still won't give them credit when I asked you directly. I expect the same standard for your team or ours. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Let’s be honest.. the second anything goes wrong with that team the media will be there to rip them apart and act like the sky is falling. 

It's because I'm talking about the media primarily. 

And fans will recoil at the first chance because they're sick of the media's overexaggerated BS narrative calling Dallas a top 3-5 team in the league.

12 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

They have had exactly zero punt/ kick return touchdowns this season.. you sort of look like you’re not exactly knowledgeable of the situation. The ability to get takeaways has absolutely been consistent for Dallas — they’ve been top / near the top in the league going on 3 seasons now. Taking away from their defensive skill set isn’t exactly fair and it doesn’t make sense. Also, with your QB turning over the ball I wouldn’t assume that won’t be a problem against Dallas.

Philly got away with tackling a player before Dak’s pass arrived, and it’s why they stopped said player an inch from scoring. Dak also barely stepped out on his 2pt try. A self inflicted penalty at the end made it that much harder to score a final TD, and Lamb ended up 1-2 yards of the game winning TD. Philly made some mistakes, but to act like they were largely better just because they briefly had a 2 possession lead is silly when you consider that Dallas very, very easily could have won despite that. 

And now Philly is going to have to try and beat Dallas at their place when they barely pulled it off at their own place. Good luck with that. Could happen, but Dallas has been dominant there.

Bottom line, Dallas has very obviously looked like a contender in the NFC. They have 6 wins by 20+ points each — that is notable no matter how you spin it. There is no reason to put them outside the level of Philly and San Fran, and at the very least there is no reason to be dismissive. All three teams have had their moments of looking mortal, and your team barely came away with a win against Dallas on their home turf. I’m not so sure they’d be favored in Arlington. 

I don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of defensive scoring to continue, especially against good teams. And your special teams return units have really shortened fields down in the games I've watched that has led to easy scoring drives. Turpin is a weapon. I think if you guys have to go blow for blow, drive for drive with elite teams, you just are not capable of sustaining the necessary consistency on both sides of the ball. Your team feels too reliant on the opponent making mistakes and capitalizing on them. And check the win probability graph on that game and that'll tell you who was in control for almost the entirety of the second half. As much as you want us to be impressed with Dallas and take them serious, we just don't. What they've done against bad teams is what I expect them to do. They haven't done anything unexpected.

8 hours ago, downundermike said:

You do realize I made a whole post responding to that.. right? Again, those games haven’t even been remotely competitive. They’ve been massacres. Dak has sat in 6 4th quarters this season so far because of absolute blowouts. 

I mean.. what’s your implication? That Dallas isn’t good? Based on what? And again, they were incredibly close to beating your team in Philly. You’re telling me that easily couldn’t go the other way in Arlington?

All they can do is play who is on their schedule. It would be one thing if they were simply winning the games.. but again, they’ve been absolute demolitions that would have been worse if not for the team clearly having little interest in running it up. 

What exactly has Philly done that shows they’re better? Only winning against Dallas by the slimmest of margins on their own turf? Losing to a team that Dallas absolutely dismantled? One possession wins against the level of competition that you’re dismissing Dallas for crushing?

Look, none of that is to criticize Philly at all. They are unquestionably a top 3 team in the NFC and unquestionably capable of getting to the SB again. Think we just need to have some perspective, here.

7 hours ago, Danger said:

It's because I'm talking about the media primarily. 

And fans will recoil at the first chance because they're sick of the media's overexaggerated BS narrative calling Dallas a top 3-5 team in the league.

I’m talking about the media, and the ever so popular Stephen A Smith type tropes. I mean, Dak alone is arguably the most criticized QB in the game. 

Having the opinion that Dallas is a top 5 team in the league is totally fair. You don’t have to agree, but it’s not ridiculous to make that claim.

8 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I mean you are right, the thing is you were dismissing the Eagles week in and week out last year, and even said you still won't give them credit when I asked you directly. I expect the same standard for your team or ours. 

Dallas has been building on this for 3 seasons now. Their success is not out of the blue. They had two 12+ win seasons going into this season where they’re looking to repeat that for 3 seasons in a row of having 12+ wins going into the playoffs. 

Philly didn’t have anything like that going into last season. They had to prove the consistency, and that it wasn’t a flash in the pan. Aside from that, I don’t recall being dismissive of them as a good team. I was just stating that they weren’t necessarily the clear cut #1, and that there were other teams in their class. Which.. is true for this season, too.

6 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

I’m talking about the media, and the ever so popular Stephen A Smith type tropes. I mean, Dak alone is arguably the most criticized QB in the game. 

Having the opinion that Dallas is a top 5 team in the league is totally fair. You don’t have to agree, but it’s not ridiculous to make that claim.

They make the claim every single year, and every single year they fail. 

You have the people like Stephen A who just like to be the heel to the Cowboys fan base and be a champion for everyone else going over the top, but every year most of the media pundits buy into the Cowboys kool-aid. It's like ****ing groundhog day. There've been a few seasons where Dallas has rightly earned the praise they've received, but you guys haven't beaten a single playoff team or a team with a winning record yet. You're 0-2 against them if I recall correctly. Like, I don't care how much you guys run it up on bad teams, you haven't shown that you can win when it counts. Not this year, not the last 2-3 decades.  Dak Prescott is Kirk Cousins, and your team is like the Miami Dolphins.

queue the Bart Simpson "It's our year" meme.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of defensive scoring to continue, especially against good teams. And your special teams return units have really shortened fields down in the games I've watched that has led to easy scoring drives. Turpin is a weapon. I think if you guys have to go blow for blow, drive for drive with elite teams, you just are not capable of sustaining the necessary consistency on both sides of the ball. Your team feels too reliant on the opponent making mistakes and capitalizing on them. And check the win probability graph on that game and that'll tell you who was in control for almost the entirety of the second half. As much as you want us to be impressed with Dallas and take them serious, we just don't. What they've done against bad teams is what I expect them to do. They haven't done anything unexpected.

You saw the Eagles game, though. Again, you shouldn’t just be dismissive of the entire picture of the game in favor of one moment where the Eagles pulled ahead only for that to reverse in favor of the Cowboys.. who caught a couple of bad breaks and fell just shy of taking the lead at the end. Obviously that was a close game, with both sides making some costly mistakes. 

If the team was solely reliant on defensive plays and special teams then the offense wouldn’t be one of the more productive units in the game ever since the Niners loss and their bye week where they finally got adjusted to a new OC, McCarthy calling plays, scheme change, etc. Obviously the offense has had zero problems moving the ball without the defense or special teams setting them up. The production is obviously there.. and it was obviously there against your own team when they got somewhat shredded. 

Regardless, it doesn’t make sense to dismiss some of the things they do very well. It doesn’t make sense to dismiss their playmakers on the defensive side of the ball, and it doesn’t make sense to dismiss Turpin as a weapon on special teams. I mean.. they have a guy at DB who has 6 interceptions this year, 4 for TDs tying an NFL record for return touchdowns. I’m not sure it’s fair to just wave off the individual playmakers they have. And again, it’s not like the Eagles haven’t had turnovers.. it’s not unfathomable to think that the playmakers for Dallas on the defensive side of the ball couldn’t take the ball from them and swing things in their favor just because the Eagles are a good team. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

They make the claim every single year, and every single year they fail. 

You have the people like Stephen A who just like to be the heel to the Cowboys fan base and be a champion for everyone else going over the top, but every year most of the media pundits buy into the Cowboys kool-aid. It's like ****ing groundhog day. There've been a few seasons where Dallas has rightly earned the praise they've received, but you guys haven't beaten a single playoff team or a team with a winning record yet. You're 0-2 against them if I recall correctly. Like, I don't care how much you guys run it up on bad teams, you haven't shown that you can win when it counts. Not this year, not the last 2-3 decades.  Dak Prescott is Kirk Cousins, and your team is like the Miami Dolphins.

queue the Bart Simpson "It's our year" meme.

But no one is doing that. Look in the Dallas forum. That place is pretty much miserable. Anytime the team loses, everyone is ready to “blow it all up”, and there is high drama. This is because Dallas cannot lose quietly, and the media tears them to pieces anytime it happens.

What media outlets have been proclaiming Dallas as the SB favorite? If it’s out there, it is well hidden. It’s far more popular to be a Stephen A Smith or Colin Cowherd (however you spell this guy’s name.. lmao) than it is to be a Skip Bayless who obviously plays the trope of the obnoxious Cowboys fan that doesn’t actually exist in reality. I mean, I’m obviously a bigger Dallas fan than most, and even I’m not going into each season saying “iTs OuR yEaR!!”. Even then.. why do people care about fanbases being optimistic and hopefully about their team? It’s weird.

Edited by NoFlyZone

33 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

But no one is doing that. Look in the Dallas forum.

Again. I wasn't talking about the actual Cowboys fans. I'm talking about the media grifters.

The media was propping Dallas up and putting the Eagles down for their recent matchup. Crazy. Just look at Fox Sports and ESPN. Aside from their obvious "Cowboys heel" characters which there are like 1 or 2 on both networks, they're all pumping the Cowboys up.

I'll say this. I actually like most of you guys here on the forum. Matts was admittedly one that got on most of our nerves, but dudes like BigD88, MadHatter, WizardHawk, misfit, taz all immediately come to mind. 

• Like 1