Arthur Smith promoted to OC

deeluxx3

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

The hell he was...

What option is better? Taking some position coach from some other team because they were successful at coaching their position? Our TE group has been among the best in football since Smith started coaching it, so he's got that criteria met.

Some retread OC that already got fired by somebody else?

Or my favorite, try to hire Helfrich whose only success in his life came from having Mariota just be better than everyone else at the college level.

Every hire after Kubiak decided he didn't wanna be an OC and Shanahan blocked interviews for LaFleur was going to be uninspiring at best.

We don’t have to worry about him getting snatched up for a HC position no time soon. Unless our offense sets the league on fire next year.

i don’t see anything wrong with the hire. Yea we could have interviewed more ppl but they have clearly seen him work and liked what they saw. Like said before. He’s been around this long for a reason and he did get the most out of the TE position.

lets see what kind of offense he draws up before we burn the place down. For all we know he could be willing to spread it it out. But we won’t knw until the offense rolls out.

Just because certain names were in the media more doesn’t mean it would be a better hire.

It makes sense. continuity is more important than alot of fans want to acknowledge. People worry about Marcus learning a new offense, but guys like Davis, Taylor, Henry and the have to learn new offenses as well and as we saw this year, they were slow to adjust to the new scheme.

Fans wanted a big name connected to a great offense, or at least a guy who national media proclaimed a "QB guru"

Again it makes sense. Some guys who maybe were bigger splashes could have left us in the same spot next year. Looking for a new OC because ours got poached for HC. And for all we know, he's the next offensive phenom. Guys like Sean McVay, Josh McDaniels, and Kyle Shannahan weren't just born directing great offenses, they were all in positions like Arthur Smith before and they eventually ascended. The only diffrerence is he doesn't have an exclusive history working with QB's.

Plus... even if this hiring proves to be terrible. You can go into the 2020 looking to match a brand new OC with a brand new QB

I think again people don't like it because he doesn't have any visiual evidence to support his ability to run an offense. 

He didn't get fired as a head coach. He didn't get fired from another OC job. He isn't a position coach from a high flying offense on another team and have people think he was soley responsible for that success. We did exactly that last season and we saw the "immediate success." 

I guess if he was the QB coach of Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees it by default makes him great. We've seen how good the QB coaches for Tom Brady has done. 

It is far from exciting. 

But would another year with Lafluer been any more exciting coming into the season? 

We want change just because. Fans would get a new head coach every year if they could just for the optimistic unknown. 

McVay was a "lowly" TE coach before he ever called a play. 

I’m just not understanding why ppl don’t like the hire. What makes him less qualified then the other position coaches? At the end of the day he has to design and call plays for the first time just like anybody else we woulda hired. 

Biggest positive of all is that he has seen Mariota at his best and worse. He’s seen what has worked and what hasn’t worked. So in all a actuality the hire makes a lot of sense. Plus he’s young so it’s not like we have some old guy coming in. I’m pretty sure he’s going to be innovative. Hell he might give us our dream offense.

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think again people don't like it because he doesn't have any visiual evidence to support his ability to run an offense. 

He didn't get fired as a head coach. He didn't get fired from another OC job. He isn't a position coach from a high flying offense on another team and have people think he was soley responsible for that success. We did exactly that last season and we saw the "immediate success." 

I guess if he was the QB coach of Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees it by default makes him great. We've seen how good the QB coaches for Tom Brady has done. 

It is far from exciting. 

But would another year with Lafluer been any more exciting coming into the season? 

We want change just because. Fans would get a new head coach every year if they could just for the optimistic unknown. 

McVay was a "lowly" TE coach before he ever called a play. 

All of this. 

Exciting isn't really associated with right most times, in my NFL experience. 

It's exciting to have the 1st overall pick. It's exciting to go thru a coaching search. It's exciting to sign all the free agents. 

What's not exciting? Picking 32 in the draft. Having the same coach for decades. Knowing you are in the playoffs every year. Never signing free agents because you draft well. 

Archived