Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

19 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Hub, on the PFW Podcast, thought the Bears would prioritize SS over NB his 2 points were,

1. Callahan's health issues and a lot of money ending up on IR.
2. They like McManis and even Bush at that spot more than we think.

Bush has good size and speed as a coverage guy disturbs me.  He's a banger looking to make a hit more than play the ball.

McManis played reasonably well for a few games but he's not at the same level as Callahan and can he do it for 16 games? I still recall him blowing coverage badly against Minny a few years ago giving up the winning score and McManis was also who Philly picked on for their playoff win.

IF we can avoid it I'd prefer not to lose both.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Bush has good size and speed as a coverage guy disturbs me.  He's a banger looking to make a hit more than play the ball.

McManis played reasonably well for a few games but he's not at the same level as Callahan and can he do it for 16 games? I still recall him blowing coverage badly against Minny a few years ago giving up the winning score and McManis was also who Philly picked on for their playoff win.

IF we can avoid it I'd prefer not to lose both.

Re: Bush I think he’d hold his own next to Jackson. He didn’t stand out as being subpar filling in for Jackson next to Amos last year, and I think that the Amos role is the one he’s more suited for anyway. He may not be a difference maker but neither is Amos (the biggest reason I’m not anxious to pay him at FA rates) and I think Bush would be at least average in a situation that really sets up for him to succeed given the high level talent around him. 

Re: Callahan/McManis I think McManis did play well when given the opportunity last year. I also think questioning his ability to do it over 16 games is a bit one-sided in the comparison of the two players considering Callahan has never done so either. Every DB blows a coverage or gets beat at some point. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Re: Bush I think he’d hold his own next to Jackson. He didn’t stand out as being subpar filling in for Jackson next to Amos last year, and I think that the Amos role is the one he’s more suited for anyway. He may not be a difference maker but neither is Amos (the biggest reason I’m not anxious to pay him at FA rates) and I think Bush would be at least average in a situation that really sets up for him to succeed given the high level talent around him. 

Re: Callahan/McManis I think McManis did play well when given the opportunity last year. I also think questioning his ability to do it over 16 games is a bit one-sided in the comparison of the two players considering Callahan has never done so either. Every DB blows a coverage or gets beat at some point. 

Yeah, I meant using Bush as a Slot CB.  I'm not opposed to him at SS.  He's in his contract year so we need to find out what we have in him.  Both Bush and Amos are better as "Box Safeties" but Bush has an advantage as far as speed and range if he's smart enough or instinctive enough to benefit from it.

Much like Bush I don't trust McManis 100% as a starter over the long haul and he's not gonna be more than a 1 year stop gap solution.  This is why I favor signing Callahan if affordable knowing that even if he is injured again McManis is a reliable backup.  Just a notch or two below him talent wise is all.

I still come back to my opinion that of the two Callahan will be harder to replace and also back that with Pace's stated view that CB is a position he values much higher than Safety.  CBs are the primary pass defenders.  Safeties are support for the CBs in most cases or in some support for the run defense.

13 hours ago, soulman said:

Yeah, I meant using Bush as a Slot CB.  I'm not opposed to him at SS.  He's in his contract year so we need to find out what we have in him.  Both Bush and Amos are better as "Box Safeties" but Bush has an advantage as far as speed and range if he's smart enough or instinctive enough to benefit from it.

Much like Bush I don't trust McManis 100% as a starter over the long haul and he's not gonna be more than a 1 year stop gap solution.  This is why I favor signing Callahan if affordable knowing that even if he is injured again McManis is a reliable backup.  Just a notch or two below him talent wise is all.

I still come back to my opinion that of the two Callahan will be harder to replace and also back that with Pace's stated view that CB is a position he values much higher than Safety.  CBs are the primary pass defenders.  Safeties are support for the CBs in most cases or in some support for the run defense.

The biggest issue I have with retaining Callahan at what it’s probably going to cost is that doing so doesn’t alleviate the need to still bring in another corner, seeing as how the 13 games he played this year was the most he ever has. Even with him back we have to be prepared on the roster to not have him for a month or more every year. If McManis gets nicked too we are looking at playing probably a street FA at that position for several weeks, and while that’s going to be the case no matter who our nickel is, because of that I’d rather have someone there more likely to play 16+ games than what we can get with Callahan. Much has been made of Amos’ durability, but I think Callhan’s lack of durability is the far bigger detail when it pertains to our impending UFA. Callahan is the more important piece, but also the far more volatile piece. 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The biggest issue I have with retaining Callahan at what it’s probably going to cost is that doing so doesn’t alleviate the need to still bring in another corner, seeing as how the 13 games he played this year was the most he ever has. Even with him back we have to be prepared on the roster to not have him for a month or more every year. If McManis gets nicked too we are looking at playing probably a street FA at that position for several weeks, and while that’s going to be the case no matter who our nickel is, because of that I’d rather have someone there more likely to play 16+ games than what we can get with Callahan. Much has been made of Amos’ durability, but I think Callhan’s lack of durability is the far bigger detail when it pertains to our impending UFA. Callahan is the more important piece, but also the far more volatile piece. 

Retaining Callahan is totally dependent on cost.  I'm sure Pace has a number in mind for him (he always seems to) and that's as much as he'll pay.  If others are more willing to gamble on his availability and offer more than he's willing to pay he'll pass and go to plan B.

Regardless of that outcome I believe he'll add DBs in the draft and UDFAs and he may even look to sign some lower level FA before or after the draft.  We also have 3 DBs on Reserve/Future contracts including guys we had on our PS all last season so we have some prospects already.

If we lose both Amos and Callahan worse case scenario is we have Bush and McManis to step in but we'll need both competition for them and depth.

I'm not gonna be all that surprised if we can't keep them.  As I've said before I've already somewhat written Amos off and I see Callahan as being maybe 60/40 he sticks at best.  With the team Pace has built we're just gonna have to get accustomed to some attrition each year with positions rolling over to younger cheaper guys.  We have good coaching to develop them now so that's how we need to roll.

Bush sucks. He's the Christian Jones of safeties for this team. What does anyone see in him?  The best thing he's done is tackle the guy he let up the catch too. He's the first guy to jump in the air and cry when a teammate doesn't make a play but he never does. He's the least bad option we had for a game. Congrats. Live of that claim to fame. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Kurt Coleman who was released by the Saints is another player who could pop up on the Bears radar if Amos leaves.

Long history with Nagy
Veteran who can compete with Bush
21 career interceptions
NO COMP pick impact

This is the case with any player released by another team but NOT one who had an option declined, correct? 

2 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

Bush sucks. He's the Christian Jones of safeties for this team. What does anyone see in him?  The best thing he's done is tackle the guy he let up the catch too. He's the first guy to jump in the air and cry when a teammate doesn't make a play but he never does. He's the least bad option we had for a game. Congrats. Live of that claim to fame. 

I don’t think anyone is looking to hand him anything. Saying he wasn’t bad or a liability when called upon isn’t the same as calling him good. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Kurt Coleman who was released by the Saints is another player who could pop up on the Bears radar if Amos leaves.

Long history with Nagy
Veteran who can compete with Bush
21 career interceptions
NO COMP pick impact

Coleman would be a good #3.  

Archived