Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

1 hour ago, malagabears said:

Apparently Howard is being shopped at the combine?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-translating-gm-comments-on-odell-beckham-eli-manning-nick-foles-josh-rosen-derek-carr-and-more/

(A brief aside on other players available ahead of the league year. League sources said the Vikings are shopping corner Trae Waynes, the Bears are shopping running back Jordan Howard, the Chiefs are talking trade on Justin Houston and the Eagles are open to moving Nelson Agholor).

Don't know why he wouldn't be.  A 24 year old workhorse back with a 4.3 avg ypc averaging 8 TDS a year for $2.1 mil in 2019 should be attractive to the right team.

Erik Lambert had a trade proposal with him going to Buffalo for their 4th round pick which is #10 or #11 as I recall.  I surely wouldn't take any less for him in draft booty.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm aware...my point is he just isn't worth more than that because he can't stay health.

That being the case and given his career stats the best I'd offer is a conditional pick in 2019 or 2020.

The kid looks like smaller version of Kevin White to me.  He has the look of a bust.

13 hours ago, malagabears said:

Apparently Howard is being shopped at the combine?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-translating-gm-comments-on-odell-beckham-eli-manning-nick-foles-josh-rosen-derek-carr-and-more/

(A brief aside on other players available ahead of the league year. League sources said the Vikings are shopping corner Trae Waynes, the Bears are shopping running back Jordan Howard, the Chiefs are talking trade on Justin Houston and the Eagles are open to moving Nelson Agholor).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Howard in another uniform come the regular season, I just meant in the trade for Ross scenario.

If the trade value for a pick isn't there I wonder if there will be any player-for-player deals that may be available. We don't have much cap room but if we can use that to fill the void at NB or SS then it is a fairly positive move. Just have to hope we have more additions to be made in FA and the draft as Cohen is a WR/HB hybrid player, not an every down back.

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Howard in another uniform come the regular season, I just meant in the trade for Ross scenario.

If the trade value for a pick isn't there I wonder if there will be any player-for-player deals that may be available. We don't have much cap room but if we can use that to fill the void at NB or SS then it is a fairly positive move. Just have to hope we have more additions to be made in FA and the draft as Cohen is a WR/HB hybrid player, not an every down back.

Probably not gonna have a whole lot of success getting a NB or SS in trade that would be worth it.

I just spent some time looking at the top deal for NB and SS and Pace isn't incorrect when he says keeping both Amos and Callahan is doable.  Check out the posts I made in the cap thread.  IMHO if we can keep their combined year one cap costs at $10 mil or under and their guaranteed money in check so we're out from under that in 2-3 years.  We have roughly $15 mil in cap room now and could pick up more by reworking Mack and ARob deals without hurting ourselves.

Overall our best bet for 2019-2020 as far as challenging for a championship is to stay whole with our current roster if possible, add a PK, work on trading Howard and replacing him with a RB better suited for our offense, and add some depth in FA focusing on younger guys coming off rookie deals and in the draft.  It's like the house has been built and now we're doing some painting and decorating to finish up.

17 hours ago, soulman said:

Don't know why he wouldn't be.  A 24 year old workhorse back with a 4.3 avg ypc averaging 8 TDS a year for $2.1 mil in 2019 should be attractive to the right team.

Erik Lambert had a trade proposal with him going to Buffalo for their 4th round pick which is #10 or #11 as I recall.  I surely wouldn't take any less for him in draft booty.

This draft has a bunch of comparable players skill set wise to Howard available in the mid-late rounds. Why would a team trade the pick for one year of Howard when they can just take one of those guys? Howard’s trade value has never been lower. If we are set on going into 2019 without Howard then literally any compensation would be a good get. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This draft has a bunch of comparable players skill set wise to Howard available in the mid-late rounds. Why would a team trade the pick for one year of Howard when they can just take one of those guys? Howard’s trade value has never been lower. If we are set on going into 2019 without Howard then literally any compensation would be a good get. 

I'll just shrug and say because he's a proven NFL quality starting RB who could easily fit with the right team.  If a team is willing to trade for him I would think they would also be willing to extend him so in reality it would not, or at least should not be a one year "rental".

I agree that we're not likely to get a premium pick for Howard and I've never stated that.  All I've said is that IMHO a high to mid 4th is as little as we should be willing to accept.  Less than that I'd keep him for 2019 and hope for a compensatory pick later on when he signs on elsewhere.

Given the sheer number of vet FA RBs out there and a fairly deep draft for middle round backs it's entirely possible we can't get any offers for him at all let alone one I believe would be fair.  In that case maybe we just ride with him and draft a rookie whose more of the hybrid back Nagy values.

If it's true it should come as no surprise Pace is soliciting offers but remember this news comes from Jason LaCanfora who will always make up stories when he lacks facts.  He's been doing it for years and we've heard zilch from Pace or Nagy about it so again I shrug.  Maybe yes or maybe no.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I've never thought we would get anything for Howard in a trade for this exact reason, especially now that his $$ went up with performance bonuses. The scenario that I think is going to occur is the Bears snag a guy they want, who replaces Mizell(sp?) on the roster, then JH24 stays on the roster in the short yardage/goal line role. Dude still had 9 TDs last year, it's not like he hasn't been productive. Then, when he hits FA next year, he walks and Pace hopes to snag a comp pick for it with his replacement already on the roster.

Archived