Mafia Mafia - Town Wins

Dome

22 minutes ago, SwAg said:

I like that you quipped about fluff not convincing you of your seemingly steadfast convictions, but then skipped the post asking which of a handful of posts convinced you I am Mafia, to instrad respond with a joke.

That won’t work in other games, unless you’re ET, and then you’re allowed to do whatever you want, apparently.

tenor.gif

You seem to be trying to hard to find mafia.  Makes me think you are mafia.  

2 hours ago, The Orca said:

I think basic odds trumps that notion. 2/9 chance of lynching a mafia is pretty good. The jailer has a 1/9 chance of stopping the hit. At this point it's best to at worse increase those odds while still having a good chance of lynching a mafia

Strictly speaking, the town has 2/10 odds to lynch a Mafia. Obviously from your perspective its 2/9 but there is the chance that the town decides to lynch you. Meanwhile, if we wait until tomorrow, our odds will  be 2/9, while not losing the opportunity to lynch a player.

Odds to get a save is pretty negligible.

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

tenor.gif

You seem to be trying to hard to find mafia.  Makes me think you are mafia.  

You think that I’m trying hard?  lol.  Also, as opposed to the other games where...I...don’t...try?

I’m just explaining Mafia logic so that people learn.  Follow the Cop or night actions are not going to trump thread play.  The Godfather in this game has investigation immunity via the role post, so we’re going to have to use threadplay at some point.  

Then, if we immediately lock into a No Lynch no one has incentive to talk or do much of anything.  It handicaps Town in endgame, and really in solving the game.

Honestly, I don’t understand why you guys even signed up if you’re not even going to provide helpful commentary to the players to promote an actual understanding of Mafia, rather than indulge the “follow the cop,” “no lynch wins games,” “look at this guy trying!”, “I’m new so, lockclear!” mantra that manufactures ****ty players.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:25 AM, Dome said:

Do not edit posts once you’ve received your role!

1. The first time you edit a post you’ll receive a warning and your vote will be silenced for that day.

3 hours ago, The Orca said:
4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

#2 is only correct if there's an odd number of players at the start.

I think basic odds trumps that notion. 2/9 chance of lynching a mafia is pretty good. The jailer has a 1/9 chance of stopping the hit. At this point it's best to at worse increase those odds while still having a good chance of lynching a mafia

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

#2 is only correct if there's an odd number of players at the start.

#1 is absolutely true - hardclaiming your role as town on d1, even if that role is villager, is antitown.

Let's start with some helpful pointers everyone.@TheKillerNacho, do not edit posts if it's in the rules. In normal games it is an auto modkill no matter the reason for the edit. As a moderator, your edits do not show up as an edited post, so it is harder to catch, making the no edit rule even more needed. When I quoted your post the #1 part was not there. It has no bearing on the game, but for future games this is a very problematic thing. It could cost your team the win and throw anarchy into a game depending on what role you have 

Uh, in a simple form, yeah.  

It’s not bad if you end up at a No Lynch after having a day phase to stir the pot for information to provide a baseline for power roles to act upon, and to attempt to establish patterns for endgame.

13 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

So your advice is that it's a waste for town to not use the lynch on night 1?

3 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Uh, in a simple form, yeah.  

It’s not bad if you end up at a No Lynch after having a day phase to stir the pot for information to provide a baseline for power roles to act upon, and to attempt to establish patterns for endgame.

This was in response to you.  I’ll try to quote more this game.

17 hours ago, Counselor said:

Well one guy has mafia in his user name. Lynch that guy 

Looking for an easy target D1. It is D1, so it usually is given a pass, but further along in the game comments like this will be looked upon negatively as trying to lynch an easy target or going after low hanging fruit. Both things mafia tries to do to act like they are hunting for scum (mafia in this game)

14 hours ago, Counselor said:

Dang I’m getting Lynched!?!? I did nothing wrong 

Reaction post to getting a vote. Pointing out you did nothing wrong is sketchy

14 hours ago, Counselor said:

Why you lynching me when I’m a village idiot 

Then claiming village idiot. If you havent played before (I think Swag pointed out), you either read up quickly on the game of mafia and roles, or someone is helping you...for example a mafia partner

"No lynch" is not a good option n1.  All it does is buy mafia an easy day of hiding out and not having to post, allowing them to take a shot at town during night.  We lose 1 (based on these odds) the next night we may lose 2.  At least with a lynch you have a chance at nailing mafia and at a minimum you learn things.  

1. Who didnt want to lynch who

2. Who did lynch who

3. Keeps people posting allowing you to get reads on players 

4. Puts pressure on players to see if they reveal something (that's why you vote for a lynch) 

1 minute ago, The Orca said:

Looking for an easy target D1. It is D1, so it usually is given a pass, but further along in the game comments like this will be looked upon negatively as trying to lynch an easy target or going after low hanging fruit. Both things mafia tries to do to act like they are hunting for scum (mafia in this game)

Reaction post to getting a vote. Pointing out you did nothing wrong is sketchy

Then claiming village idiot. If you havent played before (I think Swag pointed out), you either read up quickly on the game of mafia and roles, or someone is helping you...for example a mafia partner

Or perhaps I am just an intelligent human being. Which everyone will now make jokes about but I have extensive knowledge and training in psychology so...

5 hours ago, TedLavie said:

No way I'm lynching a new guy on the first day. The goal is for them to learn and appreciate mafia, and a random D1 lynch isn't going to help.

Let's go with a No Lynch until we know more

3 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

Ok agreed.

I am no longer lynching .

no lynch 

Seems like a connection given the time between the posts and the fact that a relative new mafia player is following an experienced mafia player in a no lynch D1. Again Swag has explained why just voting no lynch and walking away is not good 

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Or perhaps I am just an intelligent human being. Which everyone will now make jokes about but I have extensive knowledge and training in psychology so...

That could be the case, but on the surface it does not appear that way

Just now, The Orca said:

Seems like a connection given the time between the posts and the fact that a relative new mafia player is following an experienced mafia player in a no lynch D1. Again Swag has explained why just voting no lynch and walking away is not good 

I was in the garden so was catching up on a couple of pages. I responded as I read them individually instead of after catching up completely.

Archived