NYJ Mock Offseason v 2.0

jetskid007

PRIMARY RE-SIGN

• K Jason Myers - 3 years, $12 million
  • WR Andre Roberts - 2 years, $7 million
  • CB Morris Claiborne - 1 year, $8 million
  • LB Brandon Copeland - 1 year, $2 million 
  • C Jonotthan Harrison - 1 year, $1 million 

All restricted free agents should be presumed to have been tendered and re-signed. 

FREE AGENCY

FA APPROACH

I fully expect the Jets to come out swinging. They have the second most cap room, least rostered players, and no priority free agents. Unlike the Colts–who are fairly deep and have a number of cornerstone players who will be free agents next year–the Jets only have to worry about Leonard Williams and Robby Anderson.

Bottom-line: no one is off limits.

Of the top free agents, I expect Lawrence, Clowney, Ford, and Clark to be franchise tagged. The Jets will turn their attention to DE Trey Flowers, but I expect the Colts to sign him. It’ll be close, but they are more equipped to win right now and I expect they’ll outbid the Jets; like I said, they have few needs and a full roster, so Chris Ballard will identify the few players he wants and make sure to sign them. More on the Colts: I expect them to round out free agency by signing DL Sheldon Richardson, WR Golden Tate, and CB Steven Nelson while acquire WR DeVante Parker from Miami via trade.

But enough about other teams; lets focus on our team – the New York Jets. They’re not going to get every player they want, but I do expect them to make huge splashes, which are outlined below. Every top free agent will in some way be linked to the team. The Jets have the flexibility and need to sign any player, regardless of position. In some ways, the Jets will have a “BPA” approach, but obviously the ultimate decision lies with the player. Just to provide some more detail: I think the Jets will outbid Tampa Bay for Le’Veon Bell (and he’ll choose us); I think the Jets will be in the market for LT Trent Brown, but lose out to the Texans; Adam Humphries is hand selected by Gase; Maccagnan will overpay for Dante Fowler; I think the roster will be filled with players who are familiar to the coaching staff; Jamie Collins (acquired via trade) is the Jets plan B to Anthony Barr signs with the 49ers.

FA ADDITIONS

• RB Le’Veon Bell, PIT (27) – 4 years, $65 million
  • C Matt Paradis, DEN (29) – 4 years, $45 million
  • WR Adam Humphries, TB (25) – 4 years, $40 million
  • CB Justin Coleman, SEA (25) – 4 years, $36 million
  • DE Dante Fowler, LAR (24) – 3 years, $40 million
  • DE Robert Quinn, MIA (28) – 3 years, $25 million
  • LG Ronald Leary, DEN (29) – 3 years, $15 million
  • WR Danny Amendola, MIA (33) – 1 year, $4.5 million
  • QB Brock Osweiler, MIA (28) – 1 year, $4 million

TRADES

• LB Jamie Collins, CLE (29) – NYJ and CLE swap 5th round picks

2019 NFL DRAFT

TRADE: NYJ send 1(3) to WAS for 1(15), 2(46), 3(96), and 2020 1st round pick

TRADE: NYJ send 2(46) and 4(105) to SF for 2(36)

• 1(15)                   Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama
  • 2(36)                   Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia
  • 3(68)                   Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech
  • 3(93)                   Mercole Hardman, WR, Georgia
  • 3(96)                   Chuma Edoga, OL, USC
  • 5(156)                 Kendall Joseph, LB, Clemson
  • 7(219)                 John Cominsky, DL, Charleston  

DRAFT RECAP

The Jets entered the draft with two priorities in mind:

1. Draft the best player available
  2. Rebuild the offensive line

This draft kind of resembles 2017 a bit in that they took two prospects who play the same position with their first two picks, then tackled needs in the mid rounds, finalizing the draft with developmental prospects.

What’s most interesting about the Jets first two picks: I actually don’t think Jonah Williams will play LT. I know that will raise a lot of concerns, but I think the Jets will approach the draft understanding that Williams has All-Pro potential at LG, but can also play LT or RT depending on how things pan out. Look at the current state of the offensive line: Beachum and Shell are on the final year of their deals, Winters isn’t due any additional guarantees through the remainder of his deal (meaning he can be cut at any moment), and Ronald Leary is a stopgap. The only player guaranteed to be here next year is Paradis, so keep in mind the Jets can have 4 new starters next year. Investing their first two picks in Williams/Cajuste allows them to be flexible as Williams can conceivably fit as a LT/LG/RG/RT and Cajuste as a LT/RT. Some may point out that Cajuste is being projected in round 1, but I think age and injury history will push him out of round 1 (not dissimilar to Marcus Maye in 2017).

My advise to fans: don’t get too caught up on who plays where; if Jonah Williams is a top-tier LG and Cajuste is a above average LT, everyone should be happy. 

As for the rest of the draft:

• I feel the Jets get a nice player in Jaylon Ferguson, who is the classic media darling due to production, but the NFL has slightly different valuations of. There is some off the field history that will need to be addressed, but I don’t expect it to be the primary reason he falls to round 3.
  • Mercole Hardman is an elite athlete who is still raw as a receiver after only playing the position for 2 seasons. He’s a prototypical Adam Gase wide receiver who has the talent to be a really good player if the Jets are patient. Gase is putting a lot of trust in Shawn Jefferson to coach him up and will rely heavily on Danny Amendola to show him the ropes.
  • The Jets weren’t done adding offensive lineman, drafting Chuma Edoga in the 4th frame. He’s kind of like Chris Herndon-limited by injuries and often overshadowed, but has talent. Could play RG/RT.
  • Kendall Joseph was a playmaker that may get underrated because of all the talent in front of him at Clemson. Still, the undersized LB could be a developmental WLB behind Darron Lee and has special teams chops.
  • At this point we’re just going BPA, and John Cominsky is interesting. He’s big, he’s strong, and he’s disruptive. He could end up going much sooner, but for now I have him slated at the top of round 7.

Not crazy about the formatting, but didn't want to spend any more time on this. 

Essentially, Jets are entering this offseason knowing their are a lot of needs. I think they will seek to address the offensive line in free agency, but after missing out on their top options they'll use the draft as a means to improve the unit. Otherwise, most of their needs are filled in free agency. 

PROJECTED STARTERS

Offense

• QB: Darnold 
  • RB: Bell 
  • TE: Herndon 
  • WR: Enunwa
  • WR: Humphries
  • WR: Anderson
  • LT: Beachum 
  • LG: Williams/Leary 
  • C: Paradis 
  • RG: Winters/Leary
  • RT: Shell/Williams/Cajuste

Defense

• DE: Fowler 
  • DT: Leo Williams
  • DT: Pennel/Shepherd 
  • DE: Quinn
  • SLB: Collins
  • MLB: Williamson 
  • WLB: Lee
  • CB: Johnson 
  • CB: Claiborne 
  • CB: Coleman (slot) 
  • FS: Maye
  • SS: Adams

Great work as always. I’m hesitant to post my mock now because of how similar it is to yours, lol. No joke. We have 6 of the same free agents with almost identical contracts, and the same first round pick in a similar trade down. Similar draft strategy too. 

The one big difference in mine is I have the Jets being much more aggressive in trading up with their added draft capital from the trade back. I think you’ll be able to get a top 15 quality edge prospect late in the first round and a 1st round quality WR prospect in the 2nd round. 

Also, I’m curious as to who you re-signed. I see that you kept Claiborne around. I’m hoping they shoot a little bit higher then that. 

You really went ham on the OL which could set us up for success for a while. I like it. Mail a copy to Macc. I’m on the fence about Fowler but if we sign him, I’d be ok. I’m just a bit worried he’ll be a Mo type of player. I have no basis for this concern. 

If I were to project how I'd anticipate the top of the draft going... 

1. ARI: Nick Bosa, DE, OSU
  2. SF: Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan  
  3. TRADE-WAS (via NYJ): Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma 
  4. OAK: Quinnen Williams, DL, Alabama
  5. NYG (via TB): Dwayne Haskins, QB, OSU
  6. TRADE-GB (from TB via NYG): Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky
  7. JAX: Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida 
  8. TRADE-ATL (via DET): Ed Oliver, DL, Houston
  9. BUF: DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
  10. DEN: Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
  11. CIN: Devin White, LB, LSU
  12. TB (from GB): Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma 
  13. TRADE-HOU (via MIA): Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
  14. DET (from ATL): TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa

34 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

You really went ham on the OL which could set us up for success for a while. I like it. Mail a copy to Macc. I’m on the fence about Fowler but if we sign him, I’d be ok. I’m just a bit worried he’ll be a Mo type of player. I have no basis for this concern. 

Yup, just trying to read the tea leaves. I would rather sign Preston Smith, but its no secret that the team is smitten with Fowler. 

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Also, I’m curious as to who you re-signed. I see that you kept Claiborne around. I’m hoping they shoot a little bit higher then that. 

I added it; forgot to put that in when I copied from word. 

Also post yours- don't really care about similarities. I think a lot of these moves come from research- not necessarily my own opinion

Nice work overall.  just a few thoughts

*Seems like Amendola is Humphries are a bit redundant.  I know Amendola is pretty cheap so it isn't a huge deal but still.

*If we come out of this offseason and all we have to show for our edge guys are Quinn, Fowler and Ferguson I'd be pretty so so about it.  Quinn seems like he has lost a step or 3.  Fowler is just a guy I am not sold on at all.  And I think Ferguson got exposed at the senior bowl.  

*I really love how you got after the O line.  That is easily our biggest upgrade on this roster, and it is the one we needed most.  

*  I think i see what you're getting at with Hardman... kind of trying to get Gase the smaller quicker playmaker that he used in Miami.  Though I think in such a good WR class I'd like to go after the position sooner, and try and get an all around guy that can become a WR 1.

20 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Nice work overall.  just a few thoughts

*Seems like Amendola is Humphries are a bit redundant.  I know Amendola is pretty cheap so it isn't a huge deal but still.

*If we come out of this offseason and all we have to show for our edge guys are Quinn, Fowler and Ferguson I'd be pretty so so about it.  Quinn seems like he has lost a step or 3.  Fowler is just a guy I am not sold on at all.  And I think Ferguson got exposed at the senior bowl.  

*I really love how you got after the O line.  That is easily our biggest upgrade on this roster, and it is the one we needed most.  

*  I think i see what you're getting at with Hardman... kind of trying to get Gase the smaller quicker playmaker that he used in Miami.  Though I think in such a good WR class I'd like to go after the position sooner, and try and get an all around guy that can become a WR 1.

Thanks for feedback. I think primarily I took the approach that nothing can be perfect; in an ideal world I would like the Jets to do better at EDGE, would like for them to go after a #1 WR (trade back up for DK Metcalf?), but not sure they will. Again, Rome wasn't built in one day. In this scenario, they'll have two 1st round picks in 2020, which could be used at either WR, EDGE, or another position. Keep in mind that the 2020 WR class is shaping up to be truly historic. 

You hit the nail on the head with Hardman: Gase values guys like him with elite twitch and athleticism, speed, and YAC ability, etc. Kind of reminds me of Albert Wilson, but with Tyreek Hill traits. Could use him all over if you can teach him how to play the position. Can be anything from a Robby Anderson/Quincy Enunwa replacement to Amendola replacement depending on how the aforementioned play and his own development. 

As far as Humphries/Amendola: I think Amendola is purely the 4th receiver/backup slot/gadget player, whereas Humphries is identified as a potential star in this offense- a 25 year old building block player. Again, Jets are just trying to fill the roster with the best players that fit Darnold's style of play, and I think Gase will like the idea of bringing over one of the players who was in his corner to kind of be the "leader" of that room.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Ferguson having a domestic issue wont be a target for us, but I assume that info came out after your mock.

Simple battery is not a domestic issue. Yes its a violent crime, but not a domestic issue. 

He probably got into a fight with someone (male) and either punched or threw something at them. 

14 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Not crazy about the formatting, but didn't want to spend any more time on this. 

Essentially, Jets are entering this offseason knowing their are a lot of needs. I think they will seek to address the offensive line in free agency, but after missing out on their top options they'll use the draft as a means to improve the unit. Otherwise, most of their needs are filled in free agency. 

PROJECTED STARTERS

Offense

• QB: Darnold 
  • RB: Bell 
  • TE: Herndon 
  • WR: Enunwa
  • WR: Humphries
  • WR: Anderson
  • LT: Beachum 
  • LG: Williams/Leary 
  • C: Paradis 
  • RG: Winters/Leary
  • RT: Shell/Williams/Cajuste

Defense

• DE: Fowler 
  • DT: Leo Williams
  • DT: Pennel/Shepherd 
  • DE: Quinn
  • SLB: Collins
  • MLB: Williamson 
  • WLB: Lee
  • CB: Johnson 
  • CB: Claiborne 
  • CB: Coleman (slot) 
  • FS: Maye
  • SS: Adams

I do like your starting lineups both on offensive & defensive. That is the best we could hope for, but can Macc, pull it off? No problem with your draft idea, but it is to early to think about the draft, things will get crazy in the first hour of the draft, which could only help our position, now that Kyle Murray, is entering the draft. I must say you did a great job.

Not my ideal offseason but you did a really nice job hitting key areas and adding key depth on the OL especially which I flat out love.  I would have a hard time passing on Josh Allen at #3 but I do love the trade down as well.  Overall nicely done by hitting on the key areas and bringing in two FA targets that I 100% want in Bell / Humphries.

Archived