Eagles @ Jets Preseason Week 4 GDT - Lolfest

Phire

2 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

The Eagles continue there impressive streak of complete incompetence in the mid rounds of the draft. Love it. ¬¬

Calling it "complete incompetence" isn't accurate.

Since Chip Kelly took over in 2013 the best hits have been Bennie Logan and Jordan Hicks.

Logan was a good DT and Hicks is a great MLB who arguably is top 5 in the league.

I think Seumalo and Hollins are gonna be good.

Vaitai and Smallwood should be nice depth. We got both of them in the 5th which is like the end of the mid rounds I would think.

You also have to consider we only had one mid round pick (rounds 3-5) in 2015 and that was Jordan Hicks. We didn't have a 4th round pick in 2016.

We did completely bomb in 2014 when we had 4 mid round picks and they were Josh Huff (3rd round), Jaylen Watkins (4th round), Taylor Hart (5th round), and Ed Reynolds (5th round).

Yuck.

Beau Allen will likely be the last player left from that 2014 draft class after final cuts.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We did completely bomb in 2014 when we had 4 mid round picks and they were Josh Huff (3rd round), Jaylen Watkins (4th round), Taylor Hart (5th round), and Ed Reynolds (5th round).

Yuck.

Beau Allen will likely be the last player left from that 2014 draft class after final cuts.

and thats pretty awful 

15 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

and thats pretty awful 

That's one year though.

We did okay in 2013 with getting Logan in the 3rd. Sparkles (4th) and Wolff (5th) weren't contributors. Although, Barkley did turn into a pick which turned into Joe Walker who I kinda like.

We did great in 2015 to get Jordan Hicks with our only mid round pick.

Jury is still out on 2016, but it looks like it has the potential to be good. Seumalo could be a very good starting guard. Smallwood and Vaitai could be nice depth players.

As far as this years class Douglas has shown good and bad. Hollins has looked the best. Pumphrey has been bad. Gibson has been bad. Gerry has shown some nice things at times, but you can tell he is new to the position and needs more time.

Some thoughts on the rookies from Tommy Lawlor:

I’m going to just throw out some quick nuggets on things that stood out to me, good or bad.

Elijah Qualls was the player of the game for me. He exploded off the ball consistently and was disruptive throughout the game. Qualls showed the traits the Eagles hoped for when they drafted him. He played a lot of 2-gap in college, but the light has really gone on for him the past two weeks and he looked like the disruptive DT the team wanted. I would lean toward him making the roster as the #5 DT for now.

Donnel Pumphrey failed to take advantage of 237 touches. Or at least it seemed like that many. He ran 7 times for 10 yards. He caught 1 pass for 3 yards. He returned 5 punts for 48 yards and 3 kickoffs for 80 yards. That’s a lot of touches and he just wasn’t impressive. The biggest thing for me has nothing to do with size or skill. I just don’t see a good burst. I go back and forth on whether he makes the roster. He hasn’t earned it this summer, but the team liked him a lot based on what he did in college so they’re going to factor that in.

Corey Clement played early, but not much. Most people see that as a sign that he’s made the team. I get that logic and it might be true. I just don’t find Clement to be a compelling player at all. I do give him credit for playing well this summer.

Here is the full article.

Archived