Players that could have played to 45?

x0x

Well, you have to qualify this by saying, "not taking injury into consideration." Because chances are, a guy in his 40s ain't gonna hold up for very long unless he's a kicker. 

1. Any WR could play in the slot until about age 50. Maybe even older. Jerry Rice could probably come out of retirement right now and catch 90 passes on the Patriots if he didn't get injured. 

2. I think aside from kicker, all of the answers would have to be offensive players. On defense, you just become too much of a liability when you get that old. And for some reason, even those one-dimensional run stuffing DTs seem to fall off way before they even get to 40. Nose guards stop doing their best work once they hit their mid-30s at the latest.

3. Any QB with naturally good arm strength could at least stick around as a backup. Elway, Favre, Marino, etc. The best way to predict what a player will struggle with when he ages is to look at his weakest attribute. His strengths will just become lesser strengths...Favre with a weaker arm still had a strong arm. But his weaknesses will become genuine liabilities. 

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Brandon Weeden.   He was only a few years away from that when he was drafted.

EDIT....I guess Weeden is still playing for the Texans.   Good for him.  

As long as he keeps logging the minutes he's gotten over the last few years, he could be on an NFL roster until he's 65!

God I hate him.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:23 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Favre could have if he had that surgery he needed but avoided. I forgot what it was. 

Favre probably could have played to 50 if he kept the passion for it and started playing in this decade where you wear flags on your waist as a QB.

On 28/02/2019 at 5:23 AM, x0x said:

He tore his ACL and that cost him returning for his age 38 season. He was active at age 39 and 40 but didn't get any calls.

So whether it's political or not that answers the question. He's still active though at 45 now!!!

Definitely politics & perception. The guy was a freakish healer, similar to Adrian Peterson. Sure, he wasn't the same AP version from the late SF, Philly & Dallas eras. But, he wasn't far from it. Athletically he's among the lucky few that slowly decline, rather than the types that abruptly fall off a cliff. 

His locker-room reputation, which he played a huge part in creating. Robbed him of further statistics for the legacy, & potential greater accolades. Who knows - he could've been an important component in a SB winning team? 

Archived