Mock Off-Season V3

BayBubbPackFan

Just something quick...looking at blue chip players, depth, and a splash.

Team Internal:

Cut-

Nick Perry (Post June 1): No explanation needed.

Re-Signed-

Bashaud Breeland (3yr for $18.5mil): After he got healthy, helped stabilize back end.

Clay Matthews (1yr for $6.5mil): Placed in a rotational/package role, allows growth of younger players.

Mercedes Lewis (1yr for $1.5mil): Comes back knowing Lafluer's commitment to the run.

All RFA and ERFA are resigned (except Kentrell Brice).

Free Agency:

Za'darious Smith, OLB: 3yr for $33.5mil: Our big fish, everyone else is tagged or re-signed.

Brandon Graham, DE/OLB:1yr for $5.5mil: Additional depth and experience. 

AJ Cann, G: 2yr for $7.25mil: Vastly improved since being drafted, we give him an opportunity.

We may sign more but I feel this would allow Gute a ton of flexibility in the draft.

THE DRAFT:

1a) TRADE- WAS gives their 1st and 3rd to jump Miami for Kyler Murray.

1a) Brian Burns, OLB Florida: More I study,  the more I like. Technique, speed, played standing up, and can put NFL weight on.

1b) Noah Fant, TE Iowa: We give Rodgers a WR weapon at TE. He does block, just needs to improve at it. Seam spliter!

2) Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S Florida: Corner cover skills, blitzes, fast. Can replace T-Will by mid-seson.

3a) Michael Dieter, G Wisconsin: Add insurance for AJ Cann and quality backup.

3b) Elijah Holyfield, RB Georgia: Another strong back for the stable.

4a) Anthony Nelson, DE Iowa: We get another Iowa man

4b) Kaleb McGary, OT Washington: Better against the run right now but after a little development could take over for Bulaga.

5) Chase Hansen, S/ILB/DB Utah: Seek and destroy defender. Back up Martinez and Burks, as well as additional DB.

6a) Shariff Miller, OLB Penn State: A little under the radar guy. Adds depth.

6b) Penny Hart, WR Georgia State: Speed demon with excellent route running and separation skills.

7) Tommy Sweeney, TE Boston College: A good blocking TE, can still contribute in the passing game.

No depth chart this time.

If something close to this were to happen, I believe we make the playoffs this year.

Like the idea of trading down.

Like most of the draft but I'm not a huge fan of Burns.  I can't name a quality starting 3 down OLB who started his NFL career at 235 lbs.  That's smaller than most MLB/ ILBs or SAM LBs around the league.  I watched the Flordia game where he was rag dolled and abused for the majority of it and I've got concerns that he'll ever have the size or strength to match up against NFL tackles.  I still have nightmares about Trent Williams  throwing Kyler Fackrell further than most college throwers can throw  their shot put. 

Would have liked to seen a WR added in UFA or higher in the draft.  Can't fathom the idea of going into next year with less talent at WR given the obvious struggles we had on offense. 

There is no chance that Brandon Graham is signed for 1 year and 5.5 million. 

I really like the trade with the Redskins.  I was looking at that before.  We might have to give them their 4th back to, if I remember right that makes it within 30 points on the trade chart for them.  But I'd really like to have 4 picks in the top 76.  This team needs some quality talent added!

I'm thinking we trade down with the 'Skins too, only we don't go with Brian Burns, we go with Christian Wilkins. I like the idea of bringing back Clay as a mentor, but I think his versatility is what makes him valuable. I'd go 3/$13 with him to be honest with you if he'll take it.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:02 PM, BayBubbPackFan said:

Team Internal:

Cut-

Nick Perry (Post June 1): No explanation needed.

Sorry, explanation required.

Why wait to June 1st and pay him his $5M roster bonus in the middle of March?

21 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Sorry, explanation required.

Why wait to June 1st and pay him his $5M roster bonus in the middle of March?

You can cut him prior to that and label him a June 1 cut, so you can spread that money out over two years.  I don't think it means you have to release him on June 1 or later, just need to designate that.

Archived