BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

I vote no on #4

I vote no on #5, however I would like all first rounders to receive 5 year deals and every other round receive 4 year deals. 

It all needs to be 4 year deals because otherwise you can end up with players that are not on 5th year options irl that someone gets an advantage on. 

Cleaning up 5th year options is also on my list of things to do. They are too complicated and manipulative with the current  system. 

8 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

Generally, I'm not in favor of fixing things that aren't broken.

But they are broken in several subtle ways that need correcting.  RFAs,  5th years,  owners wanting more cutting power for lower level guys. 

Fixing the draft will go a long way to correcting the issues that I noticed a bunch of new and old owners had with the rules. 

3 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

So given the overwhelming enthusiasm for a practice squad system, I think I'll drop out item 4.

Item 5 and item 7 have been delayed because SirA wants to do an overhaul of 3up system.

So item 6?

I would say since there is so much resistance to going form 7 to 5 rounds let's comprimse and just drop 1 round in 2020 to 6 rounds + 1 round of PFA to see how it goes and then reserve the right to make a further decision then.

Items 6 and 15 are up for discussion

Topic: 

6. Reduce the draft to 5 rounds

Idea submitter: SirA

Current situation:

Draft is seven rounds and happens before the IRL draft. PFA lasts 2 rounds, happens after the IRL draft, and PFA picks aren't tradable.

Details of the idea: Basically it's reduce the number of rounds to 5 and add in 2 more rounds of PFA so you are getting the same number of players except you will have more information for the PFA picks

Argument for :  Reasoning is that most 6th-7th rounders don't work out anyway so this gives you a better shot at landing good players. We can also make the PFA picks tradable as well starting with this year's draft of only 2 PFA rounds but only once the draft starts.

Applicable on: 2020? 2021?

Possible alteration: Allow one-time comp picks for owners who traded for 2020 6th and 7th

Topic: 

15. Rookies get only 4yr contracts

Idea submitter: SirA

Current situation:

Currently we have a 7 round draft two weeks before the NFL Draft with players in round 1 getting 5 year deals, rounds 2-4 getting 4 year deals and rounds 5-7 getting 3 year deals. For players who have a 5th year option IRL, you can resign them for a year at 100% of their IRL option or you can resign them after before the end of their 4th year for 2 years at the average salary of their IRL 5th year + their BDL salary for their 4th year.

Details of the idea: 5 Rounds of Draft with all players on 4 year deals (just like the NFL)

Argument for : Standardizing the Contract years of Drafted players to 4 years removes a lot of the need for corner case rules.

Applicable on: Now

Possible alteration:

• Remove only 5 year contract and keep the 3yr contracts for rounds 5-7 (or only round 5 if item 6 passes)

Item 6 I can defend. I think we see over and over PFAs pan out more than 7th rounders. Though I'd prefer the option of only removing the 7th round and add a 3rd round of PFA for now.

Item 15 is interesting, but I worry deleting 3yr contracts for low rounders basically removes RFA. I think RFA is an interesting process that I'd rather keep.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with 6. You can still do your scouting and have your board. The only additional info youll have is if they are drafted and where.

Tradeable PFAs would make it the same as we jave now. Id be for it.

I aldo like the 4-5 year deals.

2 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Item 6 I can defend. I think we see over and over PFAs pan out more than 7th rounders. Though I'd prefer the option of only removing the 7th round and add a 3rd round of PFA for now.

Item 15 is interesting, but I worry deleting 3yr contracts for low rounders basically removes RFA. I think RFA is an interesting process that I'd rather keep.

RFA would pretty much only work for EFAs that are waiver wire pickups and the pfas

4 minutes ago, PR said:

I honestly don't see what is wrong with 6. You can still do your scouting and have your board. The only additional info youll have is if they are drafted and where.

Tradeable PFAs would make it the same as we jave now. Id be for it.

I aldo like the 4-5 year deals.

We voted against it on item 1a though

Archived