BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

Proposal 35 - 

A.  The regular season will begin during week 4 of the preseason and Thanksgiving will be a BDL bye week.

B.  If a player is active during week 16 of the NFL season but not week 17, they will be considered as active for week 17 of the BDL season.  If they are not active week 16 or week 17, then they will not be considered active for week 17 of the BDL season.  

Yes, this does raise the slight possibility that a player could tear an ACL or have another serious injury week 16 and still be active for a Bizzbowl, but I think that taking this strictly objective measure is much better than the subjective method we had last year.  

I hear the people bringing up a total revamp of the schedule, but would suggest these two moves for next season so we can see how they work out and if we need to take additional measures the following year.  

5 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

In terms of give-a-damn, I'd say it's Thanksgiving.

Honestly, for week 17, I think we may just have to go all-or-nothing.  Nothing isn't really an option, so we go for all.  If they played week 16, you can play them week 17.  Remove all subjectivity.

The other option would be just to not count injuries for the playoffs. So once you get in your team is golden based off of the last week. It would completely remove the sitting players issues in Week 17 and also the randomness of injuries so that the teams are playing at full strength for a title.

2 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

The other option would be just to not count injuries for the playoffs. So once you get in your team is golden based off of the last week. It would completely remove the sitting players issues in Week 17 and also the randomness of injuries so that the teams are playing at full strength for a title.

I think the way I phrased it above would work well.  It would only really look at weeks 16 and 17 which should be simpler.

Here are the issues I see with the Thanksgiving bye week idea. Do just games not get played that week or all league functions? Waivers would mainly be effected.

I play Magic The Gathering, not nearly as much as in my youth but mostly for fun, and for competitive tournaments once you get a high enough record you are given the option to take an Intentional Draw to make the finals.

My proposal would be to give teams the option on Thanksgiving week of just taking a 0-0 intentional draw if either player wanted to. Then the teams that wanted to play the full season could still do so.

For teams that were already out of the playoffs it shouldn't matter recordwise.

Anyway just a thought.

Just now, SirA1 said:

Here are the issues I see with the Thanksgiving bye week idea. Do just games not get played that week or all league functions? Waivers would mainly be effected.

I play Magic The Gathering, not nearly as much as in my youth but mostly for fun, and for competitive tournaments once you get a high enough record you are given the option to take an Intentional Draw to make the finals.

My proposal would be to give teams the option on Thanksgiving week of just taking a 0-0 intentional draw if either player wanted to. Then the teams that wanted to play the full season could still do so.

Anyway just a thought.

Just games.  Let everyone take the week off from game planning, reading write ups, and voting.  Don't see a reason to pause everything else.  Waivers and maybe a trade would be the only pressing items.  

Another way to do it would be to start week 2 of the PreSeason and play through week 11 and then week 12 (Thanksgiving) is an off week before the playoffs weeks 13-15.

This also solves the week 16-17 dilemma and still keeps a 14 game schedule.

13 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Another way to do it would be to start week 2 of the PreSeason and play through week 11 and then week 12 (Thanksgiving) is an off week before the playoffs weeks 13-15.

This also solves the week 16-17 dilemma and still keeps a 14 game schedule.

I think that's starting too early.  

8 minutes ago, MD4L said:

My one hold up is guys will get hurt on Thanksgiving Week which may affect a teams chance to win a championship inspite of a proverbial bye week.

If we start in week 4 of preseason, we will have played the exact same number of BDL games by Thanksgiving as we would have under the old system.  So itd make no difference in how the season plays out if they got hurt that week.

14 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

If we start in week 4 of preseason, we will have played the exact same number of BDL games by Thanksgiving as we would have under the old system.  So itd make no difference in how the season plays out if they got hurt that week.

The regular season may end in thanksgiving, but playoffs would begin the weekend after.

The Thanksgiving thing is quite literally the most important issue during this meeting. 

I, someone who I believe is considered a reliable and active member, have missed two consecutive and maybe even all three Thanksgiving weeks I've been in BDL. You all can be as concerned as you want about balance or loopholes in the rules, but there is quite literally no more important thing than player participation. Why you all think that's not the issue is concerning 

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Anyway just a thought.

No. 

Everyone knows in advance I'm going to stuggle to submit during thanksgiving. Why would you ID with me?

Archived