BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

On 3/11/2019 at 6:51 PM, TedLavie said:

Topic: 11a. Reduce size of regular season

Idea submitter: Mike

Current situation: Currently we have a regular season of 14 games with 3 playoffs weeks, going from NFL week 1 to week 17. Teams face their division opponent twice and teams from 2 other divisions (6 + 4 + 4 = 14)

Detailed idea 

Reduce the size of regular season to 10 (or 12) games

Argument for : Would avoid all week 17 controversies (players who are helthy scratches ...), and would allow by weeks for Thanksgiving and Christmas

Applicable on: 2019

Not sure if we're past the discussion phase yet but I'm in favor of reducing season length.

2 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Not sure if we're past the discussion phase yet but I'm in favor of reducing season length.

That is what we are discussing.  Whicker and I have each put forward two different ways to handle the two issues(season length and week 17 injuries).  Mine is more of a tweak to the current length to see if that resolves the issue while his goes directly to shortening the season.  

4 minutes ago, PR said:

Guess no one liked my idea

I think it's a good idea. It's not my preference as it doesn't shorten the season, but I do like that it tries to solve both thanksgiving and Christmas. 

I would probably vote for it over P4-17 tbh although that's not a horrible compromise either. 

17 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think that starting in week 4 of preseason would work well as it allows us to remove Thanksgiving.

I don't think it has to do with being used to the grind or what someone can accomplish in that regard, but I do like having 14 weeks of regular season.

I would agree that you are a reliable and active member of BDL.  And I would agree that a 14 game schedule can be a grind which can effect game planning.  Personally, I enjoy that grind aspect.  Yes, you are but one of sixteen, but I think that we have a very close-knit community that does try to take individual needs into consideration.

You are not a lower tier member that gets to catch up or get out.  But you do represent someone more than willing to put in the effort.  We have all seen that since the day you joined.

I am sorry that any issues the length of the season cause you problems.  And I do want to find a way to alleviate that.  

That said, I would prefer that we first try this method and see how a BDL bye week helps us.  If at this time next year, you and others feel the same way about a total scheduling revamp, I will personally be much more welcoming to the idea.  But you are suggesting a massive change.

You know that I want you, and everyone here, to enjoy BDL as much as I do.  And if the majority of owners wish to enact such a change effective immediately, then I will adapt and continue to enjoy BDL as much as I have all these years.  But I personally would prefer that we approve Proposal 35 to address this issue and the issue of week 17 inactives, and if that is not enough come next year, then we will take further steps to make BDL better next year.  

At the end of the day, that's the goal.  

I'm probably in the minority but for me shortening the season to 12 games is more of a "alleviating the grind" as well as fixing other problems (thanksgiving/week 12 and Christmas/week 17) in one fell swoop. The biggest counter arguments i've seen for not changing are "I like doing the write-ups", which is fair and not an arguable point and bcb's concern about a "fair schedule". Giving a week 12 bye week is yet another thing that would mimick(sp?) the NFL but changing the schedule to counselors proposal would also more accurately represent and NFL schedule (a league thats pretty good when it comes to parity) which is based on how you finished they year before. Waivers aren't an issue as they would (and should) still happen weekly to help with depth and injuries.

13 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Bizz Bowl will happen between week 16 and week 17, at a date agreed by both participants, and votes will be open for 5 days.

Bizz Bowl player availability will be decided with week 15 NFL availability. If a player is out for the semi, he's out for the final.

Eh, I don't like these. the bizzbowl should be a set date at the beginning of the season that way voters will still show up as per the normal schedule.

On the second point, what if a guy tweaks something in practice but is a full go in week 16 and 17? I'm fine if thats how you rule players in, but I don't like it for ruling players out.

10 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm probably in the minority but for me shortening the season to 12 games is more of a "alleviating the grind" as well as fixing other problems (thanksgiving/week 12 and Christmas/week 17) in one fell swoop. The biggest counter arguments i've seen for not changing are "I like doing the write-ups", which is fair and not an arguable point and bcb's concern about a "fair schedule". Giving a week 12 bye week is yet another thing that would mimick(sp?) the NFL but changing the schedule to counselors proposal would also more accurately represent and NFL schedule (a league thats pretty good when it comes to parity) which is based on how you finished they year before. Waivers aren't an issue as they would (and should) still happen weekly to help with depth and injuries.

This is where I'm at as well.

Weeks 1-16. 12 game schedule. Bye during week 12.

I'd prefer we go down to 4 teams and make it weeks 2-16 but that's for the next topic.

If we are sticking to more games, I'd prefer to move into the preseason. I think P3 and P4 is better than P4 and Week 17.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, TedLavie said:

9a. Review league roles and responsabilities (guidelines and members of committees, rules workbook, roster guys ...) - Ted

9b. Create a rule workbook master that would update the rules workook as season goes on - Hockey

@TedLavie, Was there a result for this "proposal"?

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

12 week schedule isn’t too bad. We do need something to make sure week 17 isn’t a **** show in terms of voting, which is per usual.

12 weeks isn't the biggest deal that everyone is making it. Essentially we're removing two games from the schedule, week 12 which would become a league wide bye week and the playoffs would be moved up one week to be weeks 14, 15, and 16. This eliminates the week 17 issues with players and gives everyone in the league a bye week.

3 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

12 weeks isn't the biggest deal that everyone is making it. Essentially we're removing two games from the schedule, week 12 which would become a league wide bye week and the playoffs would be moved up one week to be weeks 14, 15, and 16. This eliminates the week 17 issues with players and gives everyone in the league a bye week.

Equally important is if you value writeups, some guys straight up lack time to give 7/8 competent writeups so a lesser burden will perhaps increase the incentive put effort in that aspect.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm not saying it would be the end of the world, just that I personally would prefer trying Proposal 35 this year to see if that alleviated the underlying issues before we go to 12 games next year.  If everyone else would prefer the 12 game system right away, then okay.  

Honestly, I'd rather leave it the same than vote yes to prop 35, prop 35 actually "extends" the season IMO by starting a week earlier. People are going to have to pay attention to BDL for longer if we start the season early, kinda counteractive IMO.

Archived