BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

2 hours ago, PR said:

Once we get schedule pinmed down we can talk about the number of playoff teams. There is two separate issues. The only difference is when playoffs would start which isn't being debated here. Either it would start Week 15 and run through 17 or it would start Week 16 and 17 based on your proposal.

It would be different if people were actually taking into my consideration of starting P3 instead of P4 with Week 14-16 with current playoff #s or Weeks 15&16 under a shortened playoff field.

As I said playoff field does not actually effect the schedule length in of itself.

I mean I disagree on like every front. 

People are considering your proposal and should absolutely be a part of this decision process. But of course my opinions don't matter so I don't count as people considering. 

It's the same issue. The way we approach the BDL schedule includes playoffs. With a 12 game schedule and 2 playoff games, we could end week 15, we could start week 2. We could start P4 or P3 and end earlier. What if we decide to go to 4 but keep 14? How does that affect the schedule?

Rushing to vote on the schedule absolutely shuts down opportunities to discuss reduction of the playoff teams. Making up your mind before a single thought is brought forth is absolutely shutting down discussion. 

9 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

Can we just not pretend that the starters that are in the playoffs are playing in week #17 and not resting? I really wanted to keep it a 14 game season to be honest, with 6 teams in the playoffs. 

We have an 8 team playoff hence why I want a discussion

24 minutes ago, Whicker said:

People are considering your proposal and should absolutely be a part of this decision process. But of course my opinions don't matter so I don't count as people considering. 

Stop. We value others opinions, just bring them out.

That being said, a 6 team playoff is nice. Two teams would get byes. What if one of those teams suffer a devastating injury during their bye? Sure they’d lose anyway is viable but they lost one of their best players due to situations outside their power.

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

That being said, a 6 team playoff is nice. Two teams would get byes. What if one of those teams suffer a devastating injury during their bye? Sure they’d lose anyway is viable but they lost one of their best players due to situations outside their power.

This  happens anyway.  Clearly healthy people sit week 17 and are deemed ineligible 

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I mean it would sure suck to be #2 seed whose QBs arm fell off and lose to a team who couldn't field 4 CBs. 

5 minutes ago, Whicker said:

We have an 8 team playoff hence why I want a discussion

It can easily be a discussion after.  A three round playoffs works on a 10 gm, 12 gm or 14 gm schedule 

A two team playoffs works on a 10"12 or 14 week schedule 

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

I mean it would sure suck to be #2 seed whose QBs arm fell off and lose to a team who couldn't field 4 CBs. 

I’m not totally oppose to a 6 team playoff so long as it’s known.

Whicker, your opinions do matter and I am genuinely listening to them.

Here's my deal.  One of the reasons I love BDL is the interaction with y'all most all year.  And a big part of that is the fun of game planning for an opponent and trying to make that playoff push at the end(for y'all at least).  BDL is alive due to the activity of the owners.  So I am very hesitant to take steps that I fear are going to naturally reduce our interactions with each other. 

That said, there is obviously a sweet spot between having consistent activity and wearing people out.  That's why I put up Proposal 35.  I am hoping it will give everyone a break over Thanksgiving to reduce the grind while not cutting down on the how much we go up against each other.  In my mind, if we can reduce a fair amount of the grind while not reducing match ups, that is a win-win.

If Prop 35 passes this year, and it does not have the desired effect, then I'll be all for cutting the season by a couple of games.  Maybe cutting a couple games will actually make people more active in terms of game planning and commenting.  We all get worn down a bit by the end of the year, and I do believe that something needs to be done to reduce that a bit.  There's no way to eliminate it, but that's something I actually enjoy about BDL.

I'm just worried that cutting games and playoff teams will reduce how much we interact with each other which is my favorite part of the league.  Hell, I've met a number of you and could show up and crash with most of you(sorry new guys, we aren't quite there yet).  That's why, while I am listening to you and understand exactly where you are coming from, I am not willing to take that step this offseason.  

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Ragnarok nails some of the points that would want me to limit the amount of games we play every year.

And those points are why I would be willing to make that reduction in games next year if the Prop 35 isn't effective this year.  I'm not pretending that Prop 35 is going to be a cure all.  I could very well be wrong in thinking a smaller step will resolve the underlying issue.  If that's the case, I'll be all on the Prop 36 train next year.  

But I think that my reasonings for not wanting to reduce this offseason are valid and understandable.  

14 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Or lose for the 3rd time to your biggest rival because people think your Carr will turn over despite tying the week earlier.

So what is your proposal? I wouldn't mind going down to 6 playoff teams to match the NFL 

Archived