Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

Should the Redskins re-sign Ryan Grant to compete with Quinn, Quick and hopefully a rookie we draft in the first 3 rounds to be the slot WR?

Last year he was signed to a 1-year $5 million contract by the Colts. They gave him a chance to prove he could be a definite #2 WR in the NFL and while he remained a mediocre possession WR, he didn’t take the next step they had hoped to solidify being a #2 WR.

I don’t think Grant beats out Quinn or a rookie WR we hopefully draft w/in the first 3 rounds that can play in the slot like AJ Brown, Hollywood Brown, Campbell, Harmon, Hall, Deebo or MacLaurin but it's possible he does. The last two years he had 80 receptions.

I do still believe Grant can be a reliable depth WR and a good special teams player. He definitely could be our #4 WR and my hope is that we could get him on a vet min contract.

A vet min contract for Grant would be $790,000 this year.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Should the Redskins re-sign Ryan Grant to compete with Quinn, Quick and hopefully a rookie we draft in the first 3 rounds to be the slot WR?

Last year he was signed to a 1-year $5 million contract by the Colts. They gave him a chance to prove he could be a definite #2 WR in the NFL and while he remained a mediocre possession WR, he didn’t take the next step they had hoped to solidify being a #2 WR.

I don’t think Grant beats out Quinn or a rookie WR we hopefully draft w/in the first 3 rounds that can play in the slot like AJ Brown, Hollywood Brown, Campbell, Harmon, Hall, Deebo or MacLaurin but, I do still believe Grant can be a reliable depth WR and a good special teams player. He definitely could be our #4 WR and my hope is that we could get him on a vet min contract.

Nope. And I hope they move on from Doctson next year. I don't want to pick up his 5th year option.

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Nope. And I hope they move on from Doctson next year. I don't want to pick up his 5th year option.

Why should they not bring in cheap competition at the WR job for the #3-5 spot?

He shouldn't break the bank. The hope is still that we draft a rookie or that Quinn beats out Grant, but I see nothing wrong with Grant being a back up for us again and competing for the slot job. He's always been good on special teams, we can always use that.

We should embrace competition, even if it's for a back up spot.

I honestly don't know why they signed Quick over Grant last week other than Grant may be holding out to see if he can make more than the vet minimum from someone before signing for vet minimum.

IMO we should sign another cheap vet and draft a WR early for competition. If the rookie WR comes in and looks like Crowder as a rookie, Quinn looks good and Sims looks good then, you just cut Grant and Quick in late August/September.

As for Doctson, I definitely agree they shouldn't give him the 5th year option, but if by some crazy chance he breaks out this year and has a 60 rec, 800 yd, 6 TD plus season, we should re-sign him next offseason. Honestly though, it wouldn't shock me if Doctson signs in Dallas next offseason bc that's where he's from and where he played his college ball at TCU.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Why should they not bring in cheap competition at the WR job for the #3-5 spot?

He shouldn't break the bank. The hope is still that we draft a rookie or that Quinn beats out Grant, but I see nothing wrong with Grant being a back up for us again and competing for the slot job. He's always been good on special teams, we can always use that.

We should embrace competition, even if it's for a back up spot.

Because Grant is who he is. He has a ceiling he never surpassed. And his ST skills are not enough for me to waste a roster spot on someone with such a low ceiling. 

Simply put, he is who we thought he was. I'd like to see some rookies and younger guys compete for the spot instead.

I honestly don't know why they signed Quick over Grant last week other than Grant may be holding out to see if he can make more than the vet minimum from someone before signing for vet minimum.

I didn't want Quick either TBH

IMO we should sign another cheap vet and draft a WR early for competition. If the rookie WR comes in and looks like Crowder as a rookie, Quinn looks good and Sims looks good then, you just cut Grant and Quick in late August/September.

We have enough vets. I want new blood.

As for Doctson, I definitely agree they shouldn't give him the 5th year option, but if by some crazy chance he breaks out this year and has a 60 rec, 800 yd, 6 TD plus season, we should re-sign him next offseason.

Nope. You let him walk via FA and pocket the 3rd/4th round comp pick. Because if I'm a betting man (and I am), that season will be a one-off and his production will return to norm in his 5th year. And then we get bupkiss for him afterward.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Grant beats out Quinn or a rookie WR we hopefully draft w/in the first 3 rounds that can play in the slot like AJ Brown, Hollywood Brown, Campbell, Harmon, Hall, Deebo or MacLaurin but it's possible he does. The last two years he had 80 receptions.

I do still believe Grant can be a reliable depth WR and a good special teams player. He definitely could be our #4 WR and my hope is that we could get him on a vet min contract.

A vet min contract for Grant would be $790,000 this year.

I could see Grant easily taking Crowder's slot spot. Trey Quinn vs Grant would be a nice camp matchup. 

Some are talking like there is a WR on the team that has earned thier spot. All WR's should getting some competition and the team should be looking to add more talent to that spot. The idea of bringing in a player who knows the system is taking away from who? Someone who doesn't and would have to learn and possibly not get the job done. Grant would be the most proven and consistent WR on the team if he where to sign. Plus he knows the system.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Because Grant is who he is. He has a ceiling he never surpassed. And his ST skills are not enough for me to waste a roster spot on someone with such a low ceiling. 

Simply put, he is who we thought he was. I'd like to see some rookies and younger guys compete for the spot instead.

I didn't want Quick either TBH

We have enough vets. I want new blood.

Nope. You let him walk via FA and pocket the 3rd/4th round comp pick. Because if I'm a betting man (and I am), that season will be a one-off and his production will return to norm in his 5th year. And then we get bupkiss for him afterward.

I just don't understand this thought process and never ever will.

If you can sign a WR who knows the system better than any WR on our roster, just two years ago for your team caught 45 recs for 573 yards and 4 TDs in just 7 games started, he plays special teams and he can compete against Quinn and a rookie for the slot position you should do it.

I definitely don't think Quinn should be handed the slot position job or have no competition but from a rookie. 

This seems like a reasonable signing to me as long as its for the vet minimum or not much more.

I also don't care if Grant is who we think he is. Who we think he is actually isn't as awful as most used to think he was before he had 45 recs & 4 tds in 2017.  I can live with our #3 WR/slot WR catching 40-50 passes and 2 to 5 tds a season, that's not awful. That's what I’d expect out of Quinn if he ends up being our slot WR.

14 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Some are talking like there is a WR on the team that has earned thier spot. All WR's should getting some competition and the team should be looking to add more talent to that spot. The idea of bringing in a player who knows the system is taking away from who? Someone who doesn't and would have to learn and possibly not get the job done. Grant would be the most proven and consistent WR on the team if he where to sign. Plus he knows the system.

Actually, the only WRs some act like that have earned their spot are Quinn and Sims and them along with Robert Davis have actually earned their spots the least on this team.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Actually, the only WRs some act like that have earned their spot are Quinn and Sims and them along with Robert Davis have actually earned their starting spots the least on this team.

All those guys showed off in the preseason and than got hurt before the season. So they still have to prove themselves against Vets. Grant has already done all of this. I'm not getting why other aren't ok with this. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. 

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

All those guys showed off in the preseason and than got hurt before the season. So they still have to prove themselves against Vets. Grant has already done all of this. I'm not getting why other aren't ok with this. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. 

I can tell you why, its because they think what they don't know about Davis, Quinn and Sims will by some crazy stretch of their imagination be better than what they do know about Doctson, PRich, Quick and Grant. They want to believe what they don't know about a young player has got to be better than what the vet already is and it doesn't usually work out that way.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

No.

Here ends the reading from the Book of Woz.

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If you can sign a WR who knows the system better than any WR on our roster, just two years ago for your team caught 45 recs for 573 yards and 4 TDs in just 7 games started, he plays special teams and he can compete against Quinn and a rookie for the slot position you should do it.

What you just quoted there is effectively his ceiling. For further evidence, I give you the following numbers: 38, 43, 57, and 28. Those represent the percentages for his career of those 45 catches, 573 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 7 starts.

Maybe Quinn is the next coming of Edelman. Maybe Quinn's a scrub nobody. However, it's going to be harder to find out and harder from him to adjust to the NFL if you are splitting his time, especially with a guy the coach tends to inexplicably keep giving chances to.

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I also don't care if Grant is who we think he is. Who we think he is actually isn't as awful as most used think he was before he had 45 recs & 4 tds in 2017.  I can live with our #3 WR/slot WR catching 40-50 passes and 2 to 5 tds a season, that's not awful. That's what I’d expect out of Quinn if he ends up being our slot WR.

Keep in mind he's done those numbers once in his career. His other years?

Catches: 7, 23, 9, 35
Yards: 68, 268, 76, 334
TDs: 0, 2, 0, 1
Starts: 2, 5, 1, 10 (so don't go saying he didn't get any chances)

The Colts paid a 1y, $5M contract for Washington's JAG receiver, and they got a 5th round compensatory pick out of it. No need to return the "favor."

*whispers* play. the. odds.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I can tell you why, its because they think what they don't know about Davis, Quinn and Sims will by some crazy stretch of their imagination be better than what they do know about Doctson, PRich, Quick and Grant. They want to believe what they don't know about a young player has got to be better than what the vet already is and it doesn't usually work out that way.

I would still have those guys prove that before just slotting them in on the 53 man roster. 

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Actually, the only WRs some act like that have earned their spot are Quinn and Sims and them along with Robert Davis have actually earned their spots the least on this team.

Umm ... no.

Thai was talking about wanting to see if Sims could replicate what he showed in preseason last year with more reps. Given that Richardson is unlikely to make it through a season and Doctson is almost assuredly gone this time next year, seeing what they have in the next in a guy who showed flashes last year as a rookie makes a bit of sense, no? Yes, he absolutely could bust out, but out of the Richardson and Doctson, he's shown the most of the guys on the roster behind them. No, that's not saying a lot, but give the kid a chance.

As for Quinn, part of the interest there is his track record of succeeding at every level. He's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder from being named Mr. Irrelevant. Why not feed into that and let him run with that?

Oh, and no one has mentioned Robert Davis's name that I can recall (until you posted this), much less said he has a guaranteed spot on the roster.

Yes, none of the guys in the receiving corps should feel that their job is safe. The wide receivers last year caught a total of 145 balls. Even though Richardson (13.8% of last year's total) is probably safe due to his contract, he could easily be gonzo next year if he doesn't show anything now. Doctson's (30.3%) essentially playing out the string/hoping to make a big splash in his contract year. Quinn is actually third (6.2%) of returning incumbents. The others? Quick's (2.1%) a JAG that we inexplicably brought back. Again. Darvin Kidsy and Jehu Chesson each caught a ball for 0.7% a piece.

The rest left the building with Crowder (20%), Maurice Harris (19.3%), and Michael Floyd of all people (6.9%). So, no, no one should feel safe. At the same time, there's opportunities to be had there for the young guys. Don't bother with Grant and Quick; you know what they are and what this is essentially a dime a dozen receiver.

6 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I would still have those guys prove that before just slotting them in on the 53 man roster. 

Fair enough. But you're fine bringing back a guy who was at best in his four years here as the #4 option? Because they drafted him?

If you want the young guys to prove that they belong on the roster, you kind of need to give them a shot and not waste potential reps on a guy whose ceiling has been hit.

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Do I know that Quinn and Sims (again, you are the only person mentioning Davis) are better than the vets? No.

Do I want to find out? Yes.

Will having Quick and Grant on the roster allow us to do that? Not really.

So, why bother with those schlubs?

Archived