Post Combine Mock

Joe

Just thought I'd throw a quick mock out there to stir up some discussion. Expect some new guys from this mock.

FA folly:

Williams cut, Perry waived/cut/traded maybe, Davis cut

All ERFA's resigned.

Landon Collins 4/$40 mil., gives us reliability at the position while drafting and developing the Safety position.

Malik Jackson 3/$15 mil., upgrades the DL immediately and can bring the pressure that Pettine looks for in his DL.

1a. Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU: I want to go with Ferrell or Christian Wilkins here, but they're 4-3 DL. I want to go Montez Sweat, but he'll be off the board. However, Burns' tape suggests a motor, but one with power. 

1b. Noah Fant, TE, Iowa: I'd rather go with Irv Smith Jr., but we're tied to Fant and he gives us the move TE that we're looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought back Lewis as a blocking TE as well.

2. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington: This is where we start to rebuild at the Safety position. Rapp is a great candidate to develop behind Collins.

3. Jeffrey Simmons, DL, MSU: Investment for the future.

4a. Penny Hart, WR, Ga. State: Hart becomes Cobb's replacement in the slot as well as our RS as well.

4b. Daylon Mack, NT, Texas A&M: Mack provides a solid back-up option to spell Clark during various stretches of the game. Mack also provides an excellent anchor in the middle in the run game, but can collapse the pocket in the passing game as well. Not a side-to-side type of guy per se, but can contribute as a key role player.

5. Lukas Denis, S, Boston College: Added depth with plus ball skills and range.

6a.Shareef Miller, EDGE, Penn St: Good developmental prospect.

6b Oli Udoh, OL, Elon: Tackle that probably gets kicked inside to Guard.

7. Maxx Crosby, EDGE, EMU: Another developmental prospect.

Fire away!

I guess I don't see the point of acquiring both Collins and Rapp. Both are strong safeties and aren't going to the single-high role, which GB used a ton last year. I love the first pick, Fant at 30 is fine. Penny Hart is too small for GB. Daylon Mack was low-key a pretty bad athlete (even considering size). Love Maxx Crosby, he and John Cominsky are my day 3 EDGE crushes.

11 hours ago, Pugger said:

Why do you suggest we are tied to Fant?  I like him and all but I am just curious about your phrasing here.

Walter Football reported that we interviewed him at the combine. So far, he and Jace Sternberger are the TE's we've interviewed or spoken to.

I like the offseason. My comments;

Jackson- I don’t think we spend money on the DL this offseason. We’d do a depth play or a 1 year rental in Wilk.

I’d like to see an OL somewhere, maybe second. My guy says if they spend on Collins, they will roll with like Campbell.

I am in the minority here but I think Simmons could last to round 3. He’s going to likely be IR’d year 1, which matters.

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I like the offseason. My comments;

Jackson- I don’t think we spend money on the DL this offseason. We’d do a depth play or a 1 year rental in Wilk.

I’d like to see an OL somewhere, maybe second. My guy says if they spend on Collins, they will roll with like Campbell.

I am in the minority here but I think Simmons could last to round 3. He’s going to likely be IR’d year 1, which matters.

which is exactly why he's my 3rd round pick here. It takes longer for DL to come back from ACL tears than lighter players like LB's and skill position players.

Simmons has size, strength, and quickness. If he had no red-flags, he would be a top 5 pick. As it is, his injury will heal w/o a lot of lingering problems. Smith the MLB from ND that the Cowboys got in the second round had nerve damage in his knee. Last year in his third year he broke out. He was also a top five pick if healthy. So Simmons had a legal issue beating up a girl that attacked his sister or cousin. Since that time, he has been a model citizen and according to his coaches, a great team captain. Taking all that information and spit out a prediction..... he won't drop beyond the early 2nd round.

23 hours ago, Joe said:

Just thought I'd throw a quick mock out there to stir up some discussion. Expect some new guys from this mock.

FA folly:

Williams cut, Perry waived/cut/traded maybe, Davis cut

All ERFA's resigned.

Landon Collins 4/$40 mil., gives us reliability at the position while drafting and developing the Safety position.

Malik Jackson 3/$15 mil., upgrades the DL immediately and can bring the pressure that Pettine looks for in his DL.

1a. Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU: I want to go with Ferrell or Christian Wilkins here, but they're 4-3 DL. I want to go Montez Sweat, but he'll be off the board. However, Burns' tape suggests a motor, but one with power. 

1b. Noah Fant, TE, Iowa: I'd rather go with Irv Smith Jr., but we're tied to Fant and he gives us the move TE that we're looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought back Lewis as a blocking TE as well.

2. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington: This is where we start to rebuild at the Safety position. Rapp is a great candidate to develop behind Collins.

3. Jeffrey Simmons, DL, MSU: Investment for the future.

4a. Penny Hart, WR, Ga. State: Hart becomes Cobb's replacement in the slot as well as our RS as well.

4b. Daylon Mack, NT, Texas A&M: Mack provides a solid back-up option to spell Clark during various stretches of the game. Mack also provides an excellent anchor in the middle in the run game, but can collapse the pocket in the passing game as well. Not a side-to-side type of guy per se, but can contribute as a key role player.

5. Lukas Denis, S, Boston College: Added depth with plus ball skills and range.

6a.Shareef Miller, EDGE, Penn St: Good developmental prospect.

6b Oli Udoh, OL, Elon: Tackle that probably gets kicked inside to Guard.

7. Maxx Crosby, EDGE, EMU: Another developmental prospect.

Fire away!

I have no problem with this at all, seems possible to me, but you should remember that not many agree with me on things.  The only thing I could question is Penny Hart at #4a and 3 Edge rushers, Crosby or Miller with Burns, not both.  Simmons could slip that far, IMO.  Well done!  Thanks!

Archived