Vontaze Burfict facing five game suspension

Dome

I thought it was a good play. 

The whole idea of he hit him too hard, to me, is laughable.  Defenders are taught to instill a little bit of fear into the offensive players. He crushed Sherman, Sherman should have known that this was a possibility when going over the middle.

Burfict has committed dirty plays, but i do not see this one (or the Maxx Williams hit) as unnecessary or dirty.  Just like I didn't think Hines Ward hit on Rivers dirty. It is and will be a part of the game.

Yes, i am a Bengals Fan, but I am one who also thought James Harrison was being treated unfairly.

I do not think he goes out there with the intent to injure people on these hits. I do believe he goes out there to hurt people though. Which i am fine with that when it comes to football players in general.

1 minute ago, OleXmad said:

Still doesn't take away the fact the player was nowhere near the football and it was an unnecessary hit. 

The ball was thrown over him, and at that point it could have been going to him, and with the timing, they collision would have taken place almost simultaneously.

Let's face it.  You see an adversary with a checkered past and have an opportunity to pile on.  I see a guy who made has been suspended, but drew one flag all year and the league wants to make him the poster child for how they are cleaning up the league.  Reuben Foster does it, probably making contact to head, but no flag, no fine, no suspension.

5 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

The ball was thrown over him, and at that point it could have been going to him, and with the timing, they collision would have taken place almost simultaneously.

Let's face it.  You see an adversary with a checkered past and have an opportunity to pile on.  I see a guy who made has been suspended, but drew one flag all year and the league wants to make him the poster child for how they are cleaning up the league.  Reuben Foster does it, probably making contact to head, but no flag, no fine, no suspension.

Riiiiiiight.

1 minute ago, OleXmad said:

Riiiiiiight.

Was the ball even released yet?  he was within five yards of the line of scrimmage.  I get the reputation Burfict has.  he earned it every step of the way, up to the hit on Brown.  He gets suspended this time based on the reputation, not the hit.

We can agree to disagree.

Three feels right. I had no problem suspending him. He's shown no ability or willingness to alter his game away from cheap and unnecessary hits. Five felt high, but I have no problem with three. Maybe he can spend that time reflecting on the fact that he's costing himself serious money every time he attempts to crush a player that isn't anywhere near the ball.

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Was the ball even released yet?  he was within five yards of the line of scrimmage.  I get the reputation Burfict has.  he earned it every step of the way, up to the hit on Brown.  He gets suspended this time based on the reputation, not the hit.

We can agree to disagree.

Ball was in the air right about the time he was about to hit him, by the time that he commited himself to the hit he couldn't stop himself. Ehhhh It's a tough call but I get why the league suspended him. But in retrospect he did hit him in the chest. 

screen-shot-2017-08-28-at-2-53-51-pm.jpg

13 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Again, I think it has more to do with suspending him for who he is rather than the play itself. 

If you refuse to clean up your act after NUMEROUS fines and suspensions, you can expect to be penalized more than the average player for cheap/unnecessary hits.

56 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

If you refuse to clean up your act after NUMEROUS fines and suspensions, you can expect to be penalized more than the average player for cheap/unnecessary hits.

People keep saying that, but he had no bad acts that i can remember last year.  Do you remember anything?  Seems like he's worked on it to me.

This hit was a non-issue, but we all know the league has a stick up their butt and likes to make examples of players every now and then.  Burfict is a guy they love to suspend for anything borderline.  Won't be his last suspension, but i predict future suspensions will be more like this.  He's playing hard, hits a guy hard, and the league thinks he's being too rough.

Archived