49ers sign Kwon Alexander LB

49erurtaza

someone posted a tweet a few weeks ago of the Kwon's range and going to the other side of the field to blow a play up in the backfield. Trying to find it now but cant. not sure what thread it was in

Hes young and can improve his game. That's the positive spin I am giving this. Its a huge overpay but at least we are overpaying a 24 year old rather than a 28 29 year old.

The next four years should be the best of his career, especially with the interior DL we have. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

someone posted a tweet a few weeks ago of the Kwon's range and going to the other side of the field to blow a play up in the backfield. Trying to find it now but cant. not sure what thread it was in

Hes young and can improve his game. That's the positive spin I am giving this. Its a huge overpay but at least we are overpaying a 24 year old rather than a 28 29 year old.

The next four years should be the best of his career, especially with the interior DL we have. 

Honestly, if he'd clean up the tackling and recovers from the ACL, he'll be really good. That being said, that doesn't make this less of an overpay at the current point in time. I'd be a little more open to it had he not been the first off the ball linebacker off the board and the market had been set here - instead, we are the ones who set the market with this, so I don't love that. 

Really puts how much Foster cost us into perspective. Blew a first round pick + cost us an additional 13.5 million for at least 2 years against the cap...not counting what we also had to pay Foster 

It's more money than I expected and ACL injuries are always concerning, but I like the kid.  I'll go ahead and wait to see what he does for our defense before I call it a horrible signing. 

As someone who played a lot of sports in my younger years, when I read about how he was the energy/vibe/whatever you want to call it of the Bucs' defense, it factors into my opinion.  Those kinds of guys made a difference that can't be measured on any stat board. 

Numbers are great and all, but they lose a lot of meaning when context isn't factored in.  Especially the missed tackles.  I've been watching a ton of snaps of him today and he was put in some horrible situations in a lot of those plays.  No line help, awful play calls, teammates getting in the way, etc..  I've muttered to myself on multiple occasions, "He looks like the only guy out there who is even trying."  That defense, overall, has been bottom 10 since, what? 2010?

So, yeah.  I'll revisit this signing at the end of the season.  I get it, though.  That's a lot of money even if he gets back to full form.  lol

16 minutes ago, Ataal said:

I've been watching a ton of snaps of him today and he was put in some horrible situations in a lot of those plays.  No line help, awful play calls, teammates getting in the way, etc..  I've muttered to myself on multiple occasions, "He looks like the only guy out there who is even trying."  That defense, overall, has been bottom 10 since, what? 2010

This is a great point. Hopefully being able to play with some other pieces around him will make him play with some more discipline.

I remember seeing a Lynch quote when he was hired about how he evaluates players on other teams. He basically said 'its not just about what a guy does on any particular play, it's also about what a guy is asked to do'. 

It's a huge improvement either way tbh. There is some upside there 

Also I keep seeing that he forces a lot of turnovers. This must be reasons 1, 2, and 3 why we signed him. We had the least amount of takeaways over the past 20 years or whatever. This guy will certainly help us there. 

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

Also I keep seeing that he forces a lot of turnovers. This must be reasons 1, 2, and 3 why we signed him. We had the least amount of takeaways over the past 20 years or whatever. This guy will certainly help us there. 

6 forced fumbles, 6 interceptions in 46 games. 

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

6 forced fumbles, 6 interceptions in 46 games. 

Awesome, that's .26 per game which is roughly 4 per season. That would increase our takeaways by 157%! LOL 

In all seriousness, takeaways can be contagious. We saw it this year with our offense, one turnover early usually meant more on the way later in games. It snowballs. 

Takeaways are an odd statistic. It's one of the most telling stats in football. If you have more possessions than the other team you will win a lot of games. So by that logic, good teams will usually have more takeaways than turnovers, which is true for the most part  

They are essentially random though. Season to season there is so much variance. Some years the ball bounces into your laps. Other years you are the 2018 49ers with the fewest takeaways ever (basically) with only 7. 

I am going to hope that we can get a few takeaways early in the season to get the ball rolling. If we can do that and win some games early on, that will change the entire outlook of our season. 

Kyle needs to start winning games in September. 

Archived