Multiple League Philosophy

KJtheWicked

Alright guys, just curious how everyone approaches the draft when you are in multiple leagues. Do you try to get a lot of the same players in each league? Do you try to make your rosters completely different? Or do you just ignore your other teams when you're drafting? I used to try getting the same players,  it just made rooting for certain players easier, and less conflict in rooting for a player to do well in one league, but you're playing against him in another. I mean, technically I know it doesn't matter much, just wondering how you guys approach. 

6 minutes ago, KJtheWicked said:

Alright guys, just curious how everyone approaches the draft when you are in multiple leagues. Do you try to get a lot of the same players in each league? Do you try to make your rosters completely different? Or do you just ignore your other teams when you're drafting? I used to try getting the same players,  it just made rooting for certain players easier, and less conflict in rooting for a player to do well in one league, but you're playing against him in another. I mean, technically I know it doesn't matter much, just wondering how you guys approach. 

I have players that I like that I will end up having in a couple of my leagues. I usually just let the draft play itself out and get who I get. I only do like 3 leagues a year anyway so it's not hard to keep up with who I have. I also only like to look at the matchups at halftime and after games. I hate trying to watch my scoreboard while watching games.

There are a handful of guys I'll target in every league, but otherwise, roster construction is dependent on too many variables to count. The scoring, retention rules, roster sizes, etc. 

I don't put any stock into a team's draft as it's going on, but you definitely need to be aware of each team's strengths and weaknesses during the season and after the season, and then leverage assets on your team accordingly. 

I play all PPR leagues, so I have similar targets.  That said, I try to diversify at the top of the draft.  For instance, I have Doug Baldwin and Dez Bryant pretty close in my rankings.  I have had to pick between them in 2 different drafts.  In one I took Baldwin, and in the other I took Bryant.  For late-round guys, I usually have many shares of the same guy.  For high floor guys in the mid-rounds I like to diversify.  Sometimes I'll opt for Powell, sometimes for Woodhead.  It just depends on the rest of my roster.  

I went several years with Stafford, AP, and Calvin Johnson in both of my dynasty leagues. Won me 4 championships(2 in each league). Now that I'm rebuilding in both leagues, I'm thinking about whether I want to build around the same players again. I got Dalvin Cook in my 1st draft( he's my top rookie back, imo). I have the #1 pick in my other dynasty. Thinking I'm gonna take Cook there too. Really just curious if anyone else does that. Sometimes it's tough to be impartial during a draft.

6 hours ago, KJtheWicked said:

I went several years with Stafford, AP, and Calvin Johnson in both of my dynasty leagues. Won me 4 championships(2 in each league). Now that I'm rebuilding in both leagues, I'm thinking about whether I want to build around the same players again. I got Dalvin Cook in my 1st draft( he's my top rookie back, imo). I have the #1 pick in my other dynasty. Thinking I'm gonna take Cook there too. Really just curious if anyone else does that. Sometimes it's tough to be impartial during a draft.

I try to at times, if only because I hate the scenario of having Player X on my team, then facing Player X in another league and having to root for very specific outcomes to win/lose. Even only being in 2/3 leagues it happens enough. But generally it's hard to end up with more than 3 or 4 guys across different leagues.

I tend to end up with the same players in the 3rd-6th rounds. I'll probably end up with Martavis Bryant on all my teams. I like to diversify my lottery ticket players, so if I took D'Onta Foreman in one draft I might take Joe Williams in that situation the next time. I also tend to diversify at QB and not put all my eggs in one basket. I'm sure i'll have some combination of Mariota, Rivers, Winston and Newton starting for my teams this year. It's whoever slides/trying not to put all my eggs in one basket across my 3 leagues.

I do two leagues that are pretty different.  One is a traditional scoring league with a snake draft with 3 keepers at the top of the draft.  Oh, and it's IDP.  The second league is PPR with team defenses and an auction draft.  I don't intentionally aim to have guys on both teams, but I usually end up with at least one or two just because they're guys I like.  

I guess it depends on what your goals are in playing fantasy football.  If your primary purpose is to have fun and add another element to your rooting interests, then aiming to have the same players on multiple teams makes sense.  But if your goal is winning, aiming to have the same players on multiple teams really shouldn't be a goal.

• 2 weeks later...

I drafted a few of the same people ALOT. Demarco Murray and Joe Mixon i have in a lot of leagues. I always draft my board. BPA all the time assuming it isn't horribly detrimental to my starting lineup IE not taking a 4th RB before a 1st WR or something like that. It wasn't that i am so ridiculously high on Murray/Mixon but they fell according to my board. Got Murray in my last draft at pick 17... even though i already drafted him 2 other times. Not amazing value but still easily BPA at that point

Archived