Vikings Sign Josh Kline

SemperFeist

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The poor run blocking last year was just as much, if not more, of a byproduct of the scheme and coaching, as it was the talent. 

The Kubiak/Dennison scheme is going to make things a lot easier for the linemen in the run game. 

You're probably right scheme change will help. More talent would go a long way as well.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Moving Reiff to OG doesn't take away the need for two OL unless you're implying that Hill takes over at RT.

It takes away the need for two OL early. It would be nice, but it’s not a need. With Kline it makes the need to draft one OL who can provide an immediate impact. And with Kline, and the option of moving Reiff inside, it broadens the need to any position along the line, instead of narrowing that need to just IOL. 

It would still be nice to see the team grab two OL with two of their first three picks. A starter plus a guy who can probably push for some playing, but likely be a reliable reserve during their rookie season rather than be a definite developmental player. 

Personally, I’m still hoping the team grabs 3-4 offensive linemen out of their 8 picks. 

28 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It takes away the need for two OL early. It would be nice, but it’s not a need. With Kline it makes the need to draft one OL who can provide an immediate impact. And with Kline, and the option of moving Reiff inside, it broadens the need to any position along the line, instead of narrowing that need to just IOL. 

It would still be nice to see the team grab two OL with two of their first three picks. A starter plus a guy who can probably push for some playing, but likely be a reliable reserve during their rookie season rather than be a definite developmental player. 

Personally, I’m still hoping the team grabs 3-4 offensive linemen out of their 8 picks. 

If you think Kline is an opening day starter, unquestioned, than it takes away the need for two OL early. I'm just not ready to make that jump. 

Id prefer to get Bradbury with the first pick and then grab a guard in round two or three. Bradbury starts at Center and the best two of Elflein, Kline and 2nd/3rd round rookie start at Guard. This way, you at least have decent depth too. 

Other big needs include DT and WR3, maybe DE (Griffen and Weatherly could both move on next year). TE becomes less of a need with the decision to keep Rudolph. 

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If you think Kline is an opening day starter, unquestioned, than it takes away the need for two OL early. I'm just not ready to make that jump. 

Id prefer to get Bradbury with the first pick and then grab a guard in round two or three. Bradbury starts at Center and the best two of Elflein, Kline and 2nd/3rd round rookie start at Guard. This way, you at least have decent depth too. 

Other big needs include DT and WR3, maybe DE (Griffen and Weatherly could both move on next year). TE becomes less of a need with the decision to keep Rudolph. 

I don't think him saying we don't need two OL early is equal to saying he will be unquestioned. We could go OL in the 1st and 4th, which would mean that Kline/4th rounder/Isidora could compete for the final starting job. Without Kline, many were thinking we HAD to go OL first and second. I still don't think anyone would be mad if we took OL with our first two picks, but it lessens the need to do so.

6 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I don't think him saying we don't need two OL early is equal to saying he will be unquestioned. We could go OL in the 1st and 4th, which would mean that Kline/4th rounder/Isidora could compete for the final starting job. Without Kline, many were thinking we HAD to go OL first and second. I still don't think anyone would be mad if we took OL with our first two picks, but it lessens the need to do so.

Okay, but if Remmers was never released, would we be okay with just a fourth rounder competing for his spot? Didn't Kline and Remmers grade out similarly last year? 

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Okay, but if Remmers was never released, would we be okay with just a fourth rounder competing for his spot? Didn't Kline and Remmers grade out similarly last year? 

I would have been okay with it I think but I'm in the minority. I was hoping it would be Compton/Isidora/4th rounder. Anyway, I don't know all that much about Kline. I do know that I don't trust PFF as the only thing that matters, but it's really the only data we have. I have not watched him so I don't know if he is good. Your point definitely stands.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

If we had kept Remmers on the contract he had then yes he would have been the unquestioned starter as I believe it to sort of be not in reality to believe that contract was given for a backup player.

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I hope you are right.  We'll see.  I'm hoping that Kubiak/Dennison will be able to get some blood out of these turnips!!

Archived